Mains Power Supply Monitor

My house electrical system is divided into zones, each protected by a separate RCD. Occasionally one circuit trips, and sometimes it’s a while before anyone notices. If it’s the circuit supplying the freezer, for instance, that could cause a problem!

The home automation and broadband equipment is supplied from a UPS so I thought it would be useful to get a notification if a breaker tripped elsewhere in the house.

I bought a plug-in PSU enclosure and used a miniature AC to DC converter, an in-line fuse, a 5v relay and a modified Z-Wave door sensor to provide Indigo with mains power status. I’ve attached the circuit and a pic of the finished product. All components are contained in the box. The circuit shows a 240v AC input but the converter I used accepts 90v-250v AC so with a different enclosure the circuit would be fine for the US too.

I can provide component details if anyone is interested.

Alan

I just bought a power outage sensor. Looks like a door/window sensor that has been modified.

I’ve done something similar using a standard EcoTech Door/Window sensor. I have a 120 relay wired into one of the mains circuits. The relay contacts are wired to the external input on the Sensor. When the power fails the sensor is tripped alerting Vera which then sends out alerts about power failure and another when power is restored along with the duration of the failure.

For some reason I’m having intermittent problems with it in that ir currently sends alerts when there is no obvious failure and the duration is reported as ZERO. At this point the only thing I can think is that either the coil wiring to the mains is intermittent or the contact wiring to the Sensor is. I just haven’t had time to spend debugging it.

I just bought the seven7express power outage detector as well, so far no issues, works as would expect

vera has wired devices and battery devices if wired devices go down and battery ones are still connected power is down else power is up no need for extra device to monitor power.

as an electrician i have to ask why your house rcd keeps tripping it shouldnt you eithier have faulty wiring or there is a faulty appliance or you my have alot of computers devices which cause rcd’s problems

[quote=“JimMac, post:2, topic:193913”]I just bought a power outage sensor. Looks like a door/window sensor that has been modified.

how do you include this into vera? I can’t find instructions anymore, thank

I tried pressing the black switch inside, after 3 clicks it finds it and says “Found an existing node”, then never adds

[quote=“JS007, post:6, topic:193913”][quote=“JimMac, post:2, topic:193913”]I just bought a power outage sensor. Looks like a door/window sensor that has been modified.

I tried pressing the black switch inside, after 3 clicks it finds it and says “Found an existing node”, then never adds[/quote]

well installed as

Door & Window Sensor
Aeon DSB29

this at least showed it, then was able to unpair as did not work

then added as general device, stuck on waiting on manufacture, but at least no longer getting node already exists

[quote=“JS007, post:7, topic:193913”][quote=“JS007, post:6, topic:193913”][quote=“JimMac, post:2, topic:193913”]I just bought a power outage sensor. Looks like a door/window sensor that has been modified.

I tried pressing the black switch inside, after 3 clicks it finds it and says “Found an existing node”, then never adds[/quote]

well installed as

Door & Window Sensor
Aeon DSB29

this at least showed it, then was able to unpair as did not work

then added as general device, stuck on waiting on manufacture, but at least no longer getting node already exists[/quote]

just checked, it finally found manufacture it looks like as everything working, it also changed from motion sensor icon to door sensor icon

though when plugged in, shows as power, then goes right back to open, acting more like a motion sensor?

edit : unpaired and reinstalled and works now as it should…