luup.call_action return values

I’m calling luup.call_action to call an action in another device. On the target device, the action is handled by a tag. The caller is getting an immediate return with error code 0 and the job number is also 0. However, the job is still running and it completes successfully returning 4. There is also a message in the log that such and such action did not return a value, but it absolutely did return a value. I’m confused by this based on the docs as it seems as the caller should have gotten back an error code of 0 and a job id greater than 0.

You should be able to call luup.call_action across devices, right?

Bruce

If that did not work … PLEG actions would be dead!

luup.call_actions does NOT return any data from the called action. It only returns information about scheduling the action.

Hi Richard,

I understand that I won’t get any data back from the action I’m calling, but I do want the scheduling information. According to the docs, call_action returns:

returns: error (number), error_msg (string), job (number), arguments (table)

if the action is being run asynchronously as a job, then “job” should be a positive number. However, I’m getting back 0 for the error and 0 for the job, but the job is actually still running. If I got the job number back, then I would query that with luup.job.status so I could see the final result of the call.

So, my question is why am I not getting the job number back from call_action? Or am I misinterpreting the docs?

Bruce

Sorry, I do not know … I only fire and forget.

returns: error (number), error_msg (string), job (number), arguments (table)

Ok, seems I’ve made some headway using the debugger. It appears the first three args of the return (error, error_msg, and job) seem to do nothing. The key is in the arguments table. When calling an action that spawns a job, the table contains {[“JobID”] = XX}. When calling an action that just has a tag, the table comes back with {[“OK”] = “OK”}. I’ll do some more testing to see what is returned when the called action actually fails.

Bruce

Hello,
Although this post is quite old, the problem still exists.

I’ve tried several ways with and , but the return value is not sent : “JobHandler_LuaUPnP::ConfirmReturnArguments missing”.

Here is a workaround to retrieve a computed value :

1/ In the UPnP service specifications file :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<scpd xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service-1-0">
	<specVersion>
		<major>1</major>
		<minor>0</minor>
	</specVersion>
	<serviceStateTable>
		<!-- Dummy return argument -->
		<stateVariable>
			<name>LastResult</name>
			<sendEventsAttribute>no</sendEventsAttribute>
			<dataType>string</dataType>
			<shortCode>lastresult</shortCode>
		</stateVariable>
	</serviceStateTable>
	<actionList>
		<action>
			<name>GetAlarmStatus</name>
			<argumentList>
				<argument>
					<name>retStatus</name>
					<direction>out</direction>
					<relatedStateVariable>LastResult</relatedStateVariable>
				</argument>
				<argument>
					<name>id</name>
					<direction>in</direction>
					<relatedStateVariable>A_ARG_TYPE_Id</relatedStateVariable>
				</argument>
				<argument>
					<name>name</name>
					<direction>in</direction>
					<relatedStateVariable>A_ARG_TYPE_Name</relatedStateVariable>
				</argument>
			</argumentList>
		</action>
	</actionList>
</scpd>

2/ In implementation file :

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<implementation>
	<actionList>
		<action>
			<serviceId>urn:upnp-org:serviceId:MyPlugin1</serviceId>
			<name>GetAlarmStatus</name>
			<run>
				luup.variable_set("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:MyPlugin1", "LastResult", "1", lul_device)
			</run>
		</action>
	</actionList>
</implementation>

It seems that the Vera sends automatically the value in the variable defined in “relatedStateVariable”.

3/ To get the result :

local json = require("dkjson")
lul_resultcode, lul_resultstring, lul_job, lul_returnarguments = luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:MyPlugin1", "GetAlarmStatus", { name = "Name1"}, 21)
luup.log(json.encode(lul_returnarguments))

The result is in lul_returnarguments.retStatus

Vincent

@vosmont

Thanks, indeed, for this. The key point (which, I suppose should have been fairly obvious) is your observation that:

Vera sends automatically the value in the variable defined in "relatedStateVariable".

I tried this on an existing, unmodified, service: [tt]urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1[/tt], and the [tt]GetTarget[/tt] action. The relatedStateVariable is [tt]Target[/tt], into which I set the value 42. It works not only at the [tt]luup.call_action[/tt] level, but also for the HTTP request:

http://172.16.42.12:3480/data_request?id=action&DeviceNum=95&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1&action=GetTarget&output_format=json

returning the value:

{ "u:GetTargetResponse": { "JobID": "27", "RetTargetValue": "42" } }

but, strangely, the log still shows:

02   05/05/15 17:00:39.785   JobHandler_LuaUPnP::ConfirmReturnArguments missing RetTargetValue <0x2ebf6680>

Anyway, job done, so far as I am concerned!

Thanks again (and Karma)