Lowes IRIS Accessories

Some of us have been playing with the First Alert IRIS (Zwave) Smoke and/or CO2 Detectors. Right now MiCasaVerde is tweaking the Smoke Detector interface and hopefully they will have that resolved soon.

Has anyone looked at Lowes IRIS Door/Window Sensor ($19.95) and the Motion Sensor ($24.95)? These are significantly less expensive than the comparable Z-Wave products out there.

Lowes also has a GE Duplex Outlet at $34.99, a Smart Plug at $29.99, a Range Extender at $29.99, generally a little less expensive than comparable zwave units at online retailers.

They also have an interesting power meter that appears to slip over the utility company’s electric meter and report power usage ($150.00).

the only things that they sell that works are outlets, light switches, water leak senor, wifi thermostats and as you know the smoke/co almost works

Additionally, Lowe’s sells a Utilitech Wireless Indoor Siren that works with Vera.

good to know mine didnt carry that

The IRIS sensors are Zigbee, if I’m not mistaken.

The water sensor and siren are re-badged Everspring units. The water sensor I am 100% sure off, the siren I’m pretty sure of.

Thanks for the heads up on the smoke sensor. As soon as that one works, I’ll be getting at least one to provide me with an alert if smoke is detected so I can run home if needed and save my dogs.

I should correct myself. The window/door and motion sensors are Zigbee. The water sensor and siren are Z-wave.

[quote=“avstraq, post:5, topic:177208”]The IRIS sensors are Zigbee, if I’m not mistaken.

I wonder if the Iris outside camera will work?

See http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=11968.0

Thanks but thats for the inside camera… Maybe I’ll buy one and play with it…Lol

I bought the IRIS window sensor. It did not work with Schlage or Vera 3. I opened it up and it is a Zigbee so no luck with that one.

Steve

[quote=“stevem5215, post:11, topic:177208”]I bought the IRIS window sensor. It did not work with Schlage or Vera 3. I opened it up and it is a Zigbee so no luck with that one.

Steve[/quote]

Thanks, saved me going out and buying one :). Too bad, they are a lot cheaper than the other stuff on the market.

[quote=“clippermiami, post:12, topic:177208”][quote=“stevem5215, post:11, topic:177208”]I bought the IRIS window sensor. It did not work with Schlage or Vera 3. I opened it up and it is a Zigbee so no luck with that one.

Steve[/quote]

Thanks, saved me going out and buying one :). Too bad, they are a lot cheaper than the other stuff on the market.[/quote]

they are cheaper because they will nickle and dime you with subscription fees!

Is there a Zigbee interface that can be added to work on Vera ? That would be the way to go if they are possible as a add on.

Also, does anyone know if Zigbee is secure transmissions or if they are hackable ? Maybe that’s one reason it’s in use in IRIS. The other possibility is that it is a cheaper chipset to use or easier to program. Just looking for some knowledge as to the “why” they use it in IRIS.

Steve

No, there is no zigbee interface that works with Vera.

• Garrett

[quote=“BOFH, post:6, topic:177208”]The water sensor and siren are re-badged Everspring units. The water sensor I am 100% sure off, the siren I’m pretty sure of.

Thanks for the heads up on the smoke sensor. As soon as that one works, I’ll be getting at least one to provide me with an alert if smoke is detected so I can run home if needed and save my dogs.[/quote]

The Iris siren is definitely a z-wave device. It pared easily with Vera.

Don

So the Iris labeled GE switches and plugs do work with Vera? No watered down functionality?

Yes, they are the GE/Jasco Z-Wave devices, but they have a Lowe’s specific model number. For example, 45609/45637/ZW4001 are all the same switch. The only Lowe’s Z-Wave device that doesn’t work properly with Vera is the smoke alarm and that should work soon. There’s a thread about it here.

Thanks Z-waver… at the price discount that’s like buying 4 switches and getting one free. This home automation thing is addicting and can get expensive because of that.

Yes, they are the GE/Jasco Z-Wave devices, but they have a Lowe’s specific model number. For example, 45609/45637/ZW4001 are all the same switch. The only Lowe’s Z-Wave device that doesn’t work properly with Vera is the smoke alarm and that should work soon. There’s a thread about it here.

so does this mean the iris controller is both zigbee and z-wave?[/quote]