Logitech Harmony - Is it better than SQ Blaster?

This topic is Very relevant for Vera Users and compares SQ Remote with Harmony Link

Please share your comments. Just to avoid clutter - there is another thread here :slight_smile: (which I would rather have it in SQ Remote section…but there it is )

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=7889.0

So here’s my experience with Harmony Link so far:

WOW :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I’ve just got mine setup and very impressed with it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It feels like this thing is faster than the GE Remote!!! Really cool interface too. Works very well with my setup. My setup includes TV : mitsubishi 73" wd 73736 , cable: Explorer 8642 HDC, Yamaha reciever , sharp 55" and Onkyo reciever etc,…they all integrate well

Whats next:
Figure out how harmony apps are communicating to its receiver and Voila :slight_smile: Vera would work very nice with it :slight_smile:

What’s really nice is Harmony Link have an app for Android - I’m not sure SQ Remote have an App for Android - someone please correct me if it does :slight_smile:

Current users of SQ Remote, Could you please provide me the advantages of SQ Remote?

1. What is the advantage of integrating SQ Remote with Vera?

2. Which is more straight forward way of controlling A/V:
    a. A Native App
    b. Vera interface to Remote Then control by Native App?

3. One App on Device Takes care of talking to Vera, 2nd App takes care of A/V. There ought to me something more to it that I’m probably missing, with a VERA->Remote Integration->Native app…

Any help here please?

Hi,

you cannot really compare the Harmony remotes to SQRemote because the Harmony is an unidirectional system that only allows control but you cannot see feedback from vera.
E.g. you can switch on the lights, but you cannot see on the remote if they are on. SQRemote completely integrates all devices you set up on your vera with the remote.
Secondly the SQBlaster does a much better job learning new IR codes than the Harmonies do.
The thing that the Harmony doesn’t do at all, is the support of more than one remote.
I have 2 iPhones one iPod and one iPad and I can control everything from any device, even simultaniously. You can even control as many Blasters and Veras as you want from one single setup/device.

In short you get much more flexible control of your equipment when you a willing to put a bit more setup work.
Hope this helps
Umtauscher

Wilhelm

I greatly appreciate your input….Here are some more of my thoughts…

you cannot really compare the Harmony remotes to SQRemote because the Harmony is an unidirectional system that only allows control but you cannot see feedback from vera.

Why do I need feedback from Vera, when I’m getting feedback from my TV / AV Equipment? My “real” need is to be able to use my phone as remote control. What advantage does it offer to get feedback from Vera When it comes to remote control of AV equipment?

E.g. you can switch on the lights, but you cannot see on the remote if they are on. SQRemote completely integrates all devices you set up on your vera with the remote.

Does that mean the SQRemote application can also control Vera Devices? For instance from your description it sounds like using SQRemote I could tell it to turn a light on? Open Garage etc?

Secondly the SQBlaster does a much better job learning new IR codes than the Harmonies do.
This is debatable – If you don’t have both Harmony Link and SQ Remote on learning and use it side by side – I can’t assume SQ Remote does a better job.

The thing that the Harmony doesn’t do at all, is the support of more than one remote.

I have 2 iPhones one iPod and one iPad and I can control everything from any device, even simultaniously. You can even control as many Blasters and Veras as you want from one single setup/device.

This is where I think Harmony link does a better job. - Harmony link allows control from ANY device, including Android devices, which SQ Remote does not support. Not only it allows all the functions above, but it can also be used with Android devices which SQ Remote lacks.

So those are my thoughts and again thanks for the details.

I have no personal experience with Harmony link.
That said I have a lot of experience with all other Harmony remotes. What they cannot do properly is learning hold&repeat sequences and especially IR toggle code are not learned by the Harmony remotes.

Certainly Harmiony cannot operate Vera which is another disadvantage.

I have macros that control the shades, the light and the AV equipment. I really don’t see that happening with Harmony.

There are always advantages and disadvantages vor any product. The only disadvantage I see for SQRemote, is that it’s a little more work to set up but then again, you have your setup files on your own devices and don’t rely on any Harmony servers (storing the setup).

Cheers
Umtauscher

I just saw in your signature, that you already own a Harmony link.
So, why are you asking, what is not working with the Harmony?

I just wish SQ would support Android.
They’ve only been talking about it for like years…

@umtauscher , Yes. I just got mine hooked up (Ordered it Friday)- I was trying to draw comparisons see if any of the advantage of SQ Remote would help me purchase a SQ Remote compared to Harmony Link.

My “biggest” influence so far with decision to go with Harmony link instead of SQ Remote is Android support…

There’s another topic on the Logitech forum about the Link being integrated into Google TV which it seemingly should work.
I like this idea since I have my original Google TV sitting here with nothing to do >:(