Logging HVAC status

I’m looking for a way to log when the thermostat calls for AC or Heat and for how long. The end goal is to log the difference between having it turned off while I’m at work and catching up when I get home, vs leaving it at a normal temperature all day.

You can use PLEG and a interval counter.

When the AC calls for cooling start the timer.
When the AC I satisfied you can stop the timer.

Maybe once a month you can send a notification of the current counter value and reset it.

Event Watcher can do this, at least with the Honeywell Z-Wave thermostats. Just need to set the variable type “K”. I have it copy to my SysLog server…

1,331	2016-07-13, 15:23:22.668	K	84	Second Floor Thermostat	ModeState	Idle	
1,277	2016-07-13, 15:07:41.889	K	84	Second Floor Thermostat	ModeState	Cooling	
1,248	2016-07-13, 14:55:21.789	K	84	Second Floor Thermostat	ModeState	Idle	
1,229	2016-07-13, 14:42:21.649	K	84	Second Floor Thermostat	ModeState	Cooling	
1,207	2016-07-13, 14:32:23.705	K	84	Second Floor Thermostat	ModeState	Idle

Not sure how I would build it into data from Syslog - I like the PLEG suggestion combined with EventWatcher so you can double-check the time is being calculated correctly…

DataYours might be a better way, but I don’t use it so can not speak to it.

Outstanding. I installed EventWatcher and had it watch KHT (tstat, temp, and humidity), that way it logs my multisensor 6 values as well. I let it run overnight and it worked. I have a nice log of the overnight temperature changes now. For the moment, I’m just copying the data out of the built in report and pasting it into a google sheet.

Any suggestions for why it’s not logging the ModeState variable? I’m getting setpoints and temperatures, but not the ModeState. There is a ModeState variable on the device, and I see it when I look at the device variables. But EventWatcher isn’t picking it up.

[quote=“Pedals2Paddles, post:4, topic:192990”]Outstanding. I installed EventWatcher and had it watch KHT (tstat, temp, and humidity), that way it logs my multisensor 6 values as well. I let it run overnight and it worked. I have a nice log of the overnight temperature changes now. For the moment, I’m just copying the data out of the built in report and pasting it into a google sheet.

Any suggestions for why it’s not logging the ModeState variable? I’m getting setpoints and temperatures, but not the ModeState. There is a ModeState variable on the device, and I see it when I look at the device variables. But EventWatcher isn’t picking it up.[/quote]

Did you load the app store version of EventWatcher? I think it is pretty old compared to what I am running. Check the EventWatcher sub-forum under Plugins & Plugin Development. Here is a recent thread about the version issues. http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,37558.0.html

Yep, it was the store version. So he posted an attachment with a .lua file. And also a link to github files. What do I do with that to install as an app?

All you need to do is update the LUA file on your Vera with the one from the thread-

Just download the LUA file, and then in the Vera UI go to Apps, Develop Apps, and then Lua Files, and choose the downloaded LUA file and hit go to upload it to your Vera, where it will overwrite the existing file of the same name. (I am quoting the UI5 menu location, UI7 might have slightly different menu names.)

I tried that and I get event watcher startup lua failed

Nevermind. Got it going now. I had to install all the files off the github, not just the attached lua file. Now it’s logging ModeState. Thanks guys!

Later today, I need to figure out how to have this log to a file so it doesn’t wipe out every time it restarts.

[quote=“Pedals2Paddles, post:9, topic:192990”]Nevermind. Got it going now. I had to install all the files off the github, not just the attached lua file. Now it’s logging ModeState. Thanks guys!

Later today, I need to figure out how to have this log to a file so it doesn’t wipe out every time it restarts.[/quote]

I use the SysLog function to send the data to my SysLog server (which is my Synology NAS)…

[quote=“Pedals2Paddles, post:9, topic:192990”]Nevermind. Got it going now. I had to install all the files off the github, not just the attached lua file. Now it’s logging ModeState. Thanks guys!

Later today, I need to figure out how to have this log to a file so it doesn’t wipe out every time it restarts.[/quote]

Funny enough, I too had to update my EventWatcher from GitHub yesterday - seems that google had stopped supporting some graph types.

One new thing I see related to HVAC status - Event Watcher is now logging EnergyModeStatus. Which is really nice for my HA as I will set EnergySavingsMode on thermostats based on alarm state and occupancy sensors…