Load control for washing machine

As part of my z-wave setup, I want limit possible flood damage from appliances in the house.

I’m planning to get a flood sensor (Fibaro) to put under my washing machine, and then if the flood sensor is tripped, I want to cut off the water supply with a shutoff valve (FortrezZ), and I want to cut power to the appliance. I don’t want the appliance to continue trying to run without water.

What would you use for controlling on/off power to the appliance? My first thought would be a GE 45605 outlet, but it they’re not rated for the load of a large appliance.

From the description: “WIRELESS LIGHTING MODULE WITH Z-WAVE TECHNOLOGY; ADDS REMOTE ON/OFF CONTROL TO FLUORESCENT FLOOR & TABLE LIGHTS OR SMALL APPLIANCES LIKE FANS; DECORATOR-STYLE DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR A STANDARD DUPLEX RECEPTACLE; 1 Z-WAVE CONTROLLED & 1 ALWAYS-ON PASS-THROUGH OUTLET; MAXIMUM LOAD OF Z-WAVE OUTLET: 600W, 1/2 HP MOTOR; MAXIMUM COMBINED LOAD OF BOTH OUTLETS: 15A, 1800W, RESISTIVE”

I want to do the same thing with my dishwasher. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable product that can handle the load of a washing machine, or a dishwasher?

Mine require 120V 15A circuits. My full sized washer draws 8Amps so the 45605 is perfectly fine.
What are the power requirements for your washing machine and dishwasher.

Edit: Correction, the 1/2 HP limit of the 45605 is around 400watts or 3Amps. The Fibaro FSG211 3kw relay should be able to handle the load, but they aren’t available in the U.S yet. The Intermatic CA3750 contactor can handle the load, but is probably quite a bit larger than desired for this application.

The GE/Jasco outlet specs say “MAXIMUM LOAD OF Z-WAVE OUTLET: 600W, 1/2 HP MOTOR; MAXIMUM COMBINED LOAD OF BOTH OUTLETS: 15A, 1800W”

My washer says it requires 120V, 60Hz, 10 amps. I haven’t found the horsepower of the motor yet, but I’m guessing it’s more than 1/2 HP.

According to calculations, 600 watts at 120v for a resistive load (power factor of 1) is 5amps, meaning the GE switch is only rated for 5 amps on the z-wave outlet. While the combined load of both outlets can be 15amps, the whole point is to control power to the washer, so it would be plugged into the z-wave outlet.

No way am I plugging a washer that claims it needs 10 amps into an outlet that is only rated for 5 amps…

Consider the Aeon Labs DSC24. Supports devices rated up to 1875W, 15A.

[url=http://www.homecontrols.com/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-Z-Wave-Smart-Switch-AEDSC24ZWUS]http://www.homecontrols.com/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-Z-Wave-Smart-Switch-AEDSC24ZWUS[/url]

I think you’ll be ok with just shutting off the water, I don’t think a washing machine will run without water in it, they have floats to prove water at a certain level before going into the wash cycle. not sure about dishwashers but i think its the same.

Brian, thanks.

Steve, that’s a really good point, I bet the appliances would check for water level. I think I still may want to cut power to the appliances, though. I’m envisioning a scenario where the appliance is leaking and actively pumping water all over the floor. I guess if there’s a leak, though, any water in the appliance is likely going to go all over the floor anyway.

You may want to try a for-purpose Intelliflow washer valve shutoff. If you really need it you can add in a Zwave sensor that detects the closed circuit on the sensor that comes with the unit.

Buying a Zwave valve for your hot and cold supply plus the flood sensor plus a switch capable of the higher current in a washing machine is a lot of money and complexity when all you really want is to turn that water off. Sacrificing your washer’s solenoid valve is a small price to pay to avoid a catastrophic flood (especially if your washer is on the 2nd floor).

This option , provided by @Bulldoglowell, is by far the best choice! Much less expensive, too.

[quote=“Bulldoglowell, post:7, topic:178633”]You may want to try a for-purpose Intelliflow washer valve shutoff. If you really need it you can add in a Zwave sensor that detects the closed circuit on the sensor that comes with the unit.

Buying a Zwave valve for your hot and cold supply plus the flood sensor plus a switch capable of the higher current in a washing machine is a lot of money and complexity when all you really want is to turn that water off. Sacrificing your washer’s solenoid valve is a small price to pay to avoid a catastrophic flood (especially if your washer is on the 2nd floor).[/quote]

Suggest you read the customer reviews for the Watts EDP0004640 IntelliFlow Automatic Washing Machine Shut Off Valve on Amazon.com before reaching your final decision. The reviews appear to be somewhat negative.

yeah sorry, they do have some problems. I have on in my house and haven’t had those problems. If I was to buy one today, I may not by the Watts based on those reviews.

you can always go old school:

these are nice because you have to turn them on each time you run the laundry. I put them in my rental units. No Z wave capability, no texts in case of floods, but burst hoses are not on my list of tenant issues.