Linking Foscam C1 to Vera UI

I am a new owner of a Foscam C1 indoor cam. I’ve been using it with the app on mobile just fine but realize it is time to bring it on to my Vera Edge to sync it with alarms and such. I can’t for the life of me seem to get it setup. I can’t even get a snapshot from my camera to show when I enter this URL http:///snapshot.cgi?user=&pwd=
I have tried the camera ip address with the port number at the end and without it. Any help?

Is there a guide through the entire process with the latest Vera UI? If not, can i revert to an older UI to get it linked up?

Out of the box it’ll be using port 88 for HTTP and 443 for HTTPS. I changed the HTTP port to the standard 80, but you can leave it at 88. The snapshot URL is: /cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=[USER]&pwd=[PASS] If you’re not changing the port, then you need to use the whole URL of http://[IP]:88/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=[USER]&pwd=[PASS]. (Note the “:88” after the IP).

I have two C1s working great, so if that doesn’t work reply back because it DOES work eventually. :slight_smile:

hi, I have a similar question. With the Foscam C1, do you have the motion alert enabled and usable? Which plugin did you use? I am on UI7/VeraPlus.
Please and thank you!

[quote=“longhorn14, post:3, topic:192582”]hi, I have a similar question. With the Foscam C1, do you have the motion alert enabled and usable? Which plugin did you use? I am on UI7/VeraPlus.
Please and thank you![/quote]
I actually use Blue Iris for all triggering and recording. Vera is just so I can use AuthomationHD on my Android devices to view the cameras. :slight_smile:

I see, thank you. I am a Mac-based house, so no Blue Iris for me :frowning:

Newer foscam cameras do not support HTTP notifications on motion detection, hence the standard techniques for getting motion alerts in Vera won’t work.

Hello All, i purchased the C1 and indeed it is a nice camera, however i can’t get it to work with Vera.

the URL i am using is correct because i can view the snapshot when using the browser however when using this URL in Vera it is not working:

the steps i did:

• i copied the URL of the snapshot
  • i click on add camera then select Generic IP Camera
  • i click next 3 times (the camera is already working and connected to my home network so i didn’t connect it to Vera through cable)
  • i wait for 6 minutes till the timer expire (annoying)
  • click on manually install camera (Advanced)
  • click the check mark near the IP of my cam
  • select other IP camera form the dropdown
  • Fill in the URL that i copied for the snapshot
  • once i tried filling the user name and password, the other time i left them empty (since the URL will have the username and password)

when i click on the TEST button, i always get the message, camera not detected and i can’t proceed any further.

can someone help me here please.

many thanks,

[quote=“shady.hamilton, post:7, topic:192582”]Hello All, i purchased the C1 and indeed it is a nice camera, however i can’t get it to work with Vera.

the URL i am using is correct because i can view the snapshot when using the browser however when using this URL in Vera it is not working:

the steps i did:

• i copied the URL of the snapshot
  • i click on add camera then select Generic IP Camera
  • i click next 3 times (the camera is already working and connected to my home network so i didn’t connect it to Vera through cable)
  • i wait for 6 minutes till the timer expire (annoying)
  • click on manually install camera (Advanced)
  • click the check mark near the IP of my cam
  • select other IP camera form the dropdown
  • Fill in the URL that i copied for the snapshot
  • once i tried filling the user name and password, the other time i left them empty (since the URL will have the username and password)

when i click on the TEST button, i always get the message, camera not detected and i can’t proceed any further.

can someone help me here please.

many thanks,[/quote]

I have the EXACT same problem. Can anyone help?

Ok, I believe I’ve got a workaround for the fact MCV screwed the pooch in the latest IP Cam setup Wizard.

Step 1 - Make sure you have the FoscamHD plugin installed
Step 2 - Go to Apps->Develop Apps->Create Device
Step 3 - set upnp device name = D_DigitalSecurityCamera2.xml and Upnp Implementation Filename = I_FoscamHD.xml
Step 4 - Click Create Device Button
Step 5 - Reload Luup
Step 6 - Refresh browser and check Cameras, new camera called “IP Camera Ext” should be created and displaying “Invalid Camera URL”
Step 7 - Go into advanced settings of device, and set ip address and port (eg. 192.168.0.38:88). Set username and password. Click Done.
Step 8 - Go back into advanced settings and click Extra Parameters
Step 9 - Go to New Service.

New Service = urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Camera1
New Variable = URL
New Value = cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=&pwd= Replace the <> with your details.

Step 9 - Click “Add” then Click “Reload Engine”.
Step 10 - Refresh browser and go to your Camera, it should now be working.

This works for C1, C2 and R2 cameras. Should work for any HD Foscams with current firmware.

Slight update on BlueSmurf’s suggestions that worked for me - Vera Edge, Foscam C1 Lite cameras. Initially I followed the info here: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Manually_create_IP_Camera_device#UI7

I tried the I_FoscamHD.xml file but found it didn’t have the URL variable so used ‘I_FoscamPTZ.xml’ instead as per the instructions. Now I know how to add that url in thanks to BlueSmurf, I’ve switched to ‘I_FoscamHD.xml’ although frankly I don’t see much difference.

The steps I took just then to add my C1 Lite onto the system were as follows:

• Go to Apps->Develop Apps->Create Device
  • Give a name under the description eg ‘Backyard’
  • Set Upnp device name = D_DigitalSecurityCamera2.xml
  • Set Upnp Implementation Filename = I_FoscamHD.xml
  • Put in ip address
  • Put in mac address ie de:ad:me:at:12:34
  • Click Create Device Button
  • Reload Luup (FWIW I have a scene ‘called reload luup’ that just has the code ‘luup.reload()’ in it)
  • Refresh browser and check Cameras for your new camera which will be displaying “Invalid Camera URL”
  • Go into ‘extra parameters’ of device, and set ip address and port (eg. 192.168.1.23:88). [can leave username and password blank].
  • Click in any other box in the screen and you should see the message ‘Change property command sent’
  • Go to New Service tab within ‘extra parameters’ and add in the following:

New Service = urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Camera1 New Variable = URL New Value = cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=username&pwd=password
(replace the username and password with your details)

Now click on ‘reload engine’

Next challenge is seeing if can get streaming video! :slight_smile:

[quote=“ninkasi, post:10, topic:192582”]Slight update on BlueSmurf’s suggestions that worked for me - Vera Edge, Foscam C1 Lite cameras. Initially I followed the info here: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Manually_create_IP_Camera_device#UI7

I tried the I_FoscamHD.xml file but found it didn’t have the URL variable so used ‘I_FoscamPTZ.xml’ instead as per the instructions. Now I know how to add that url in thanks to BlueSmurf, I’ve switched to ‘I_FoscamHD.xml’ although frankly I don’t see much difference.

The steps I took just then to add my C1 Lite onto the system were as follows:

• Go to Apps->Develop Apps->Create Device
  • Give a name under the description eg ‘Backyard’
  • Set Upnp device name = D_DigitalSecurityCamera2.xml
  • Set Upnp Implementation Filename = I_FoscamHD.xml
  • Put in ip address
  • Put in mac address ie de:ad:me:at:12:34
  • Click Create Device Button
  • Reload Luup (FWIW I have a scene ‘called reload luup’ that just has the code ‘luup.reload()’ in it)
  • Refresh browser and check Cameras for your new camera which will be displaying “Invalid Camera URL”
  • Go into ‘extra parameters’ of device, and set ip address and port (eg. 192.168.1.23:88). [can leave username and password blank].
  • Click in any other box in the screen and you should see the message ‘Change property command sent’
  • Go to New Service tab within ‘extra parameters’ and add in the following:

New Service = urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Camera1 New Variable = URL New Value = cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=username&pwd=password
(replace the username and password with your details)

Now click on ‘reload engine’

Next challenge is seeing if can get streaming video! :-)[/quote]

@ninkasi

Any luck with the video streaming?

Z

Yes, Add service as above urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Camera1, DirectStreamURL, yourIP/cgi-bin/CGIStream.cgi?cmd=GetMJStream&usr=userID&pwd=password , where you replace yourIP, userID and password with your own. I got a vera message when using the cam but you can select to remove it.

@ninkasi

Any luck with the video streaming?

Z[/quote]

On your C1, enable Network → Onvif and save.
Default RTSP port should be 554.

After successfully adding your camera manually in Vera, go to Settings → Advanced → Extra Parameters → Variables.

Change DirectStreamURL for your camera using this format: rtsp://NAME:PASSWORD@192.168.1.XXX:554/videoMain

edit: +quote and wording

I’ve found all the comments in this thread very useful in setting up my Foscam R2. Thank you all for contributing.

I’ve done a little work to automate arming/disarming the camera’s motion detection that I use to send myself snapshot emails. Please see my post here … [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,37602.msg318519.html#msg318519]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,37602.msg318519.html#msg318519[/url] if you’re interested.

Further update - there seems to have been some updates to UI7 that means you no longer have to manually create the device unless you really want to. The process now is:

[ul][li]add device[/li]
[li]security cameras[/li]
[li]ip camera (other IP camera)[/li]
[li]next/next/next/manually install[/li]
[li]select your camera from the list - if it?s not there, then add manually[/li][/ul]

manual config:

[ul][li]camera type - other ip camera[/li]
[li]camera url - http://192.168.0.nn:88/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=user&pwd=password[/li]
[li][don?t need to put in username/password][/li]
[li]test the camera - should see an image[/li]
[li]next[/li][/ul]

[quote=“ninkasi, post:15, topic:192582”]Further update - there seems to have been some updates to UI7 that means you no longer have to manually create the device unless you really want to. The process now is:

[ul][li]add device[/li]
[li]security cameras[/li]
[li]ip camera (other IP camera)[/li]
[li]next/next/next/manually install[/li]
[li]select your camera from the list - if it?s not there, then add manually[/li][/ul]

manual config:

[ul][li]camera type - other ip camera[/li]
[li]camera url - http://192.168.0.nn:88/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=user&pwd=password[/li]
[li][don?t need to put in username/password][/li]
[li]test the camera - should see an image[/li]
[li]next[/li][/ul][/quote]

Further UI7 updates do not allow you to create a camera that didn’t show video when you click “Test” . . . .

Quite probably, but it does work for the Foscam C1 now so is way simpler. If you have a different camera, then it may not support the default access config so you’ll need to do it manually. :slight_smile:

I remember with my previous Vera unit, I could create a camera even when I didn’t get video and then LATER edit it to make the camera work. This new version of the UI - if you don’t have a video, you can’t create a device