Line Voltage Thermostast

[quote=“huogas, post:35, topic:170332”]I’m from Quebec, and my house is full of Line Voltage Thermostats.

I would like to share an idea. Most of the new thermostats cans be used in many modes: DAY, VACATION, NIGHT, etc.
I think that some of these thermostat have in their back some contacts to activate a specific mode.

If I’m wright, could we think about a simple way to add a zwave device to simply, as an example, activate or desactivate a mode, letting the thermostat doing is job in that mode ?
Is there a possible solution there ?

GH[/quote]

Just to keep going on with this, here is more information. My Tstat is a TH115-AF.
There is in the back some dry contact :

“From any remote control device equipped with a dry contact. When the contact closes, the thermostat
is placed in Vacation mode and the icon flashes on the screen. All buttons on the thermostat
are locked. When the contact opens, the thermostat returns to the previous mode.
NOTE: When the Vacation mode is activated from a remote control device, it can only be deactivated
using the device.”

My plan is to use a Z-Wave device to put the Tstat in vacation mode when normal heating is not required, and back in normal mode when normal heating is required. I don’t know how many Tstat have this “backdoor” but that seems to be a good solution since the Tstat keep doing its job and there is no impact on the electric circuitry.

From your experience, what would be the less expensive Z-Wave device I can use to activate and desactivate the “vacation” mode by the TH115-AF backdoor ?

Thanks,

Gaston

UPDATE : For various reasons, I can no longer explain the details of where we’re at with development of this, but I am dropping a line to ask those who are interested in this product to hang on and stay tuned. If anyone is interested in having their name on a beta tester list, you can message me. We’re looking to round up people with a decent Z-Wave knowledge and minimum technical skills.
It’s moving slowly… but it’s moving :stuck_out_tongue:

Bonjour T1000,

We are Z-Wave distributor in Quebec. You can add us on your beta tester list. As mentioned before, many customers are interested ! You can message me for more details …

@tinayisa,

Pas de probl?me, mais on ne peut envoyer de messages aux membres trop r?cent. Il va me falloir une autre fa?on de vous rejoindre !

Merci !

@T1000

Bonjour,

Je ne sais pas si vous ?tes toujours ? la recherche de personnes pour tester votre produit? Je suis au qu?bec et je suis vraiment en recherche intensive en ce moment pour un thermostat in-line.

Merci!

peter

Bonjour Peter,

Oui, nous sommes en train de d?velopper le produit et je monte une liste de gens interess?s a tester lorsqu’il sera pr?t. Il y en a encore pour quelques mois, nous seront pr?ts pour l’hiver 2013. Simplement me dire ou vous joindre.
D?sol? de ne pas en dire plus pour l’instant, mais nous sentons le poids de la comp?tition…

Merci !

Hi, I think that this little product is the perfect solution to electric heater on 240v. It output 24v for a normal zwave thermostat + a relay for the heater.

Bonjour, je crois fortement que c’est une bonne solution pour les gens qui habitent au Qu?bec. Il prend le 240v et en fait une sortie 24v pour un thermostat standard zwave + un relais pour le chauffage ?lectrique.

Bonjour T1000,

Nous sommes Villawave, vous pouvez nous contactez via notre site web. ( je crois qu’il est interdit de mettre nos coordon?es dans le forum). Nous venons de faire une installation dans un hotel pour les thermostats ?lectriques, il y a vraiment beaucoup de demande pour ce produit.

Au plaisir,

I’m not sure how to send you a direct message, so I’m posting here. I would LOVE an in-line z-wave thermostat solution. My dad has panel heaters (see: econo-heat.com/us/products) that he just basically leaves on all winter because he forgwts to turn them off. I put them on z-wave modules so I can turn them off remotely so they don’t stay on all the time, but if there was some way to put them on thermostats that would be great!!! They are mostly installed in pairs, two in kitchen, living room, hallway. So three would do it. But even considering the relay route with regular z-wave thermostats would cost another $500. It would be cheaper in the long run to have his furnace replaced with an electric one. My contact info is david dot clintonstroud at gmail dot com. THANKS!!!

Bonjour T1000,

Je suis au Quebec et je suis interess? pour etre Beta testeur de votre thermostat.
Vous pouvez me contacter ? spud dot webb dot 4 at gmail dot com

Merci

I worked in corporate IT for 30 years. I install and support wireless internet for vaction condominiums in a ski resort town in Colorado. I have been installing Z-Wave systems for moisture detection and temperature monitoring for about 6 months. A lot the units have 220/240 vac baseboard heaters. I am new to Z-Wave and I am astonished to find out these thermostats are not generally available. Any info on a solution which could be placed in a client’s condo would be appreciated. I am a computer guy and understand electrical wiring, however I am not an electrician.
Dan - Dan at Irishdan dot com

Hello all,
Since interest seems to still be there and since we have obviously hijacked this thread for good :slight_smile: let me update you all on our progress.
To those who wonder why there are still no devices out there by any major manufacturer, here’s a good hint : a company who shall not be named has it’s hands clenched on patent that’s absolutely necessary for this to work. The monies involved make it so the licensed product would be a guaranteed commercial failure because of MSRP. The other major hurdle involve the laws of physics and negociations with those are not going well… In the end, this latter problem might still be easier to address than the first.

We are working on two separate scenarios to circumvent these issues, but our best hopes to have betas ready for winter have evaporated. We’ll continue to monitor this thread until we have enough meat on the bone to start a bona-fide dedicated thread. Until then, looks like those who are dedicated to finding a solution to this annoying problem have no issue finding this board…

Stay tuned, but don’t hold your breath just yet !

M.

Has anyone tried the Honeywell redlink system:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-YTL9160AR1000-Wireless-Voltage-Thermostat/dp/B006W64NYA/
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-THM6000R1002-Enabled-Internet-Gateway/dp/B006BD1K4A/

???

[quote=“T1000, post:52, topic:170332”]Hello all,
Since interest seems to still be there and since we have obviously hijacked this thread for good :slight_smile: let me update you all on our progress.
To those who wonder why there are still no devices out there by any major manufacturer, here’s a good hint : a company who shall not be named has it’s hands clenched on patent that’s absolutely necessary for this to work. The monies involved make it so the licensed product would be a guaranteed commercial failure because of MSRP. The other major hurdle involve the laws of physics and negociations with those are not going well… In the end, this latter problem might still be easier to address than the first.

We are working on two separate scenarios to circumvent these issues, but our best hopes to have betas ready for winter have evaporated. We’ll continue to monitor this thread until we have enough meat on the bone to start a bona-fide dedicated thread. Until then, looks like those who are dedicated to finding a solution to this annoying problem have no issue finding this board…

Stay tuned, but don’t hold your breath just yet !

M.[/quote]

Hi T1000,

I am interested in your endeavor for a commercial project that I am working on. If you want to private message me, I can send you my email address.

Regards,
PM

[quote=“travisn000, post:53, topic:170332”]Has anyone tried the Honeywell redlink system:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-YTL9160AR1000-Wireless-Voltage-Thermostat/dp/B006W64NYA/
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-THM6000R1002-Enabled-Internet-Gateway/dp/B006BD1K4A/

???[/quote]

We wanted to give it a try on the bench, but realized we’d learn nothing from it. It’s basically a packaged solution that includes some of the ideas listed above in this thread : a SS relay, built into the baseboard that comunicates through a proprietary wireless protocol to the wall unit, which then hooks up with a RedLink gateway. It likely works, and probably quite well. But here are the show stoppers:

• single unit solution. A relay with a com module needs to be installed in every baseboard we want control over.
  • not a retrofit solution : needs a licensed electrician to be installed and to secure what’s left of the initial wiring.
  • proprietary : probably what I hate the most about it. Needs a RedLink gateway, or it’s just an expensive doorstop… That also means that if your home is anything else but Honeywell friendly, you’re SOL and will need to have two concurent domotic networks.

Not bashing, just giving my 2 cents. For the one looking at a single baseboard or heater to pre-heat or prevent freezing at the cabin, it’s probaby what you’re looking for… For the one looking at integrating energy management into a flexible and expandable solution ? Keep your money for now, there will be better stuff out there soon…

T1000 will your product work in europe with 230 V and will you ship to europe? :slight_smile:

Hello T1000,

Are you still in R&D with the project or there is too much to over come with the “Giant” in thermostat?

And if you still need some beta tester, count me in…

Martin,Ville de Quebec

I’m really interested in controlling electric baseboards via Z-wave. I’m in Canada as well, in a townhouse, where during fall to early spring I do have to turn on the heat, but every room has electric baseboards. The main floor has two baseboards controlled by one thermostat for the kitchen/eating area and there is another thermostat to control to the living/dining room. These are the main ones I want to control as they are used the most.

I’ve seen the options for the Aube relay, but I don’t really understand how the relay knows when to turn the heat on/off. Do I require 2 zwave thermostats in place of the original dial set thermostats?

I’d be very interested in T1000’s solution if that’s still on the table!

Geez, I didn’t get notified of these replies, so sorry to keep y’all waiting…

@elviselvis, yeah of course we’ll be keeping our eyes on the European market, but don’t hold your breath just yet. We have to take car of North America first…
@noiseboy303, yep still hard at work. I can’t really comment about what’s going on with it, but it’s getting there. Your call is important to us, please stay on the line…
@alien8er, what you’re describing is what prompted this whole project. It’s been incredibly long and hard in the making, but there’s hope yet !

Stay tuned !

I’m very interested also. I have a rental condo with electric baseboards and would love to be able to control them remotely. I’m in Montreal.

-GT