LightwaveRF door sensor or z-wave door sensor

I want a sensor to tell me whether a door is open or closed.

As I have a hybrid Vera Lite with RFX I can use LightwaveRF or z-wave kit. Is there any difference? LightwaveRF sensors are 10.99, whereas z wave ones are around three times the cost.

I’m not sure what a Hybird VERA looks like, can you post some more info.

but if you have RFX then I don’t see a problem using lightwave sensors. Just the same as adding an alarm panel or Arduino.

Speaking of which, what happened to getting your Honeywell connected and suing existing sensors? Plus Door contacts are less then a 1.00 each wired.

When I say Hybrid Vera I meant a standard Vera Lite, but with the RFX so I can have a dual z-wave and lightwaveRF system.

I gave up on the Honeywell. It is all already fitted and wired in, so I just wanted to see if I could connect it to my z-wave network, but for now I’ll leave it standalone.

[quote=“dominoman, post:3, topic:182816”]When I say Hybrid Vera I meant a standard Vera Lite, but with the RFX so I can have a dual z-wave and lightwaveRF system.

I gave up on the Honeywell. It is all already fitted and wired in, so I just wanted to see if I could connect it to my z-wave network, but for now I’ll leave it standalone.[/quote]

Using a lightwaveRf, alarm panel or Arduino all comes out the same to a certain extent. These devices plugin to vera then using software called a plugin vera reads the info and uses it the same.
Sometimes less is more but it works. Alarm panels are the best way to get alot of sensors into vera fast and cheap expecially if you already have an alarm on rhe house. That means all the wires have been ran for you. 1 wire to connect vera to the alarm panel and you now have all the doors windows and motions in your vera as separate sensors depending on how your alarm is wired.

Ok. Great. Thanks integlikewhoa. That gives me hope. But i still need some help.

My alarm is a hardwired system with several proximity sensors and a honeywell Galaxy G2 alarm. It was fitted by a professional fitter so I don’t really have any awareness of how it could be connected to the vera system.

If I could find a way to use the existing PIR sensors then it would save me a lot of hassle and would save me doubling up on the sensors everywhere.

Any advice would be very gratefully received…

[quote=“dominoman, post:5, topic:182816”]Ok. Great. Thanks integlikewhoa. That gives me hope. But i still need some help.

My alarm is a hardwired system with several proximity sensors and a honeywell Galaxy G2 alarm. It was fitted by a professional fitter so I don’t really have any awareness of how it could be connected to the vera system.

If I could find a way to use the existing PIR sensors then it would save me a lot of hassle and would save me doubling up on the sensors everywhere.

Any advice would be very gratefully received…[/quote]

First you need to find out for sure if the G2 can be wired to the vera, which I don’t think it can.

Next would be to leave all sensors and maybe keypads (need to find out if those keypads work with a Vista-20). You can use the existing metal cabniet and backup battery, siren and everything all you really need to change is the board which is around 70.00 or less.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONEYWELL-SECURITY-20P-9-18-ADEMCO-VISTA-8-48-ZONE-ALARM-PANEL-NEW-/251557270025?_trksid=p2054897.l5659

Worse comes to worse you might need a keypad (not sure how many you have in the house). Sirens, backup battery, motion and door sensors and everything will swap easy from one board to the next.

Here is a whole kit, siren, keypad, metal enclosed box, motion sensor and backup battery. Again more then I think you need but…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-HONEYWELL-ADEMCO-VISTA-20P-HARDWIRED-SECURITY-KIT-KEYPAD-MOTION-SIREN-TRANS-/380781751307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a85c6c0b

The vista 20 has wireless capability and sensors can be had for 10-15 bux depending where your looking. So future you can add wireless.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-5816-Wireless-D-W-Transmitter-Sensor-Ademco-Lynx-Vista-2GIG-GO-No-Brac-/380968951591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b384df27