Light Switch Suggestions - GE 45609 to big

Hello,

I generally use GE 45609 light switches in my home but I have just learned that I can’t get three of them into a light box as they are to wide. Anyone have a suggestion on switches that are thinner and less deep. My regular decora switches fit three in a light box fine but the 45609 zwave light switches don’t.

Thanks,

I prayed off all of the side tabs to get them in, and that works. Not a lot of room behind them, I admit.

Thanks for the suggestions. It’s not the side tabs as the unit themselves are too wide.

They will fit in a single gang space of a multi gang box. Maybe you have a non standard size box? The only obstacle I have run into is that some of the older boxes aren’t very deep so fitting all of the wires and associated nuts and so forth can be a really tight fit. But with all standard boxes (every one I’ve encountered) the width of the switches themselves isn’t an issue.

Agree… I’ve been able to get three in as well.

Agree… I’ve been able to get three in as well.[/quote]

Same here. While it is tight, it is doable if you leave the mounting screws slightly loose so one can position the Decora faceplate over all the switches and shift them slightly.

Yes! Thanks for the reminder. I do recall leaving them a bit loose now that you mention it.

The leaving screws loos bit, while it does make installation of multi gang switches easier, isn’t too professional. Many times you can’t get the face plate flush with the wall when you do this. Getting the face plate flush with these big switches is hard enough as it is. At least in some older boxes. I just persist until I get them all lined up properly. The hardest part is that slots on the switch can develop a memory of where the screw has been if you fasten it tightly and then try to reposition.

My dad and brother, who was/is electrical contractors (respectively), never accused me of being a professional electrician!

I once switched a light with the neutral wire, caught heck for that.

I too have gotten three GE switches in a 3-gang box but it took some judicious rewiring to get the number of wires behind them down to a dull roar. You put three of those monsters in a box along with all the normal neutral, load , ground wires, jumpers, wire nuts, et al, and there isn’t enough room for air :slight_smile:

My dad and brother, who was/is electrical contractors (respectively), never accused me of being a professional electrician!

I once switched a light with the neutral wire, caught heck for that.[/quote]

A few years back I made an attachment for a cellulose machine (2 20 amp circuits) out of a 3 prong dryer plug and two outlets in a box. Most dryers around here still use three prong plugs. I too caught hell from the local electrician for energizing the ground!

Are the vizia RF switches any thinner? I know they are more expensive

I have both, for some reason I do believe they are, but I couldn’t swear to it. I do have a Leviton sitting in a box at home, I could measure it later tonight.

Very kind of you to offer to but I have a spare GE at home I can measure and then compare it to the specs on Leviton’s website.

[quote=“jeff.cohen@sympatico.ca, post:1, topic:180896”]Hello,

I generally use GE 45609 light switches in my home but I have just learned that I can’t get three of them into a light box as they are to wide. Anyone have a suggestion on switches that are thinner and less deep. My regular decora switches fit three in a light box fine but the 45609 zwave light switches don’t.

Thanks,[/quote]

Try Aeon/Aeotec DSC26103-ZWUS instead and just use stock Decora switches with it. To keep wiring more manageable buy some stranded wire from RadioShack. I bought 18AWG 600V UL stranded wire to hook from DSC to the switch to avoid stiff 14AWG solid core wire for this. Key is it must be rated 600V and UL stamped for use in the box. Only use the 18AWG for the wires from DSC to the switch. Not for any of the line or load wires.

RadioShack.com Official Site - America's Technology Store>Blue