Leviton VRCS4-MRZ vs VRCZ4-MRZ (scene vs zone)

I’ve read through the forums and have found much information, but am still foggy on what the differences are between the VRCS4-MRZ and the VRCZ4-MRZ apart from the momentary switch vs. rocker switch.

By way of context; I have a VeraLite that I’m using as a central controller for everything HA-controllable in my house. I’m not looking to have either “switch” control any device directly?everything would be done through MiOS. Based on this, can anyone answer the following questions:

[ol][li]For the zone controller with the rocker switch, could you assign a MiOS device/scene to each side of each rocker (i.e. 8 “activities”)?[/li]
[li]For both the scene and zone controller, can MiOS “see”/control the local load switch?[/li]
[li]Are the LEDs controllable from MiOS? Can you change their colour (sounds like they are green/red/amber)?[/li]
[li]Why do more people recommend the zone controller over the scene controller? Are the rocker switches more durable than the momentary ones?[/li][/ol]

I am using a vrcs4-m0z, i think is a zone controller.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=9963.0

No problem to setting up and to include to vera / associate scenes. But led collor i do not have courage to try.

Most prefer the zone controller (rocker switch) since it essentially provides 8 buttons to control Vera scenes vs 4.

Even if you just program the “on” side, you ALWAYS can turn things off with the “off” side, even if only some devices are on.

If you get the scene controller, the only way to turn things off is if the LED is on and you press the button. If the LED is not on, but some devices are on, you’d have to press the button, wait for the LED (and devices) to turn on, and press it again to turn them off.

If they are the newer version, you can control the LEDs.
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9923.msg66963.html#msg66963

Thank you for the replies… very helpful.

One last question: the zone controller has 4x rocker-style switches. By rocker style, are these switches that when pressed stay on one side or the other, or do they return to center? Likewise, for the bottom “load” switch, does it stay on one side, or return to center?

Many thanks,
J.

[quote=“Juggler, post:4, topic:175295”]Thank you for the replies… very helpful.

One last question: the zone controller has 4x rocker-style switches. By rocker style, are these switches that when pressed stay on one side or the other, or do they return to center? Likewise, for the bottom “load” switch, does it stay on one side, or return to center?

Many thanks,
J.[/quote]They return to center. If they didn’t, it would be really confusing when scenes are toggles from elsewhere.
The bottom rocker isn’t a “load” switch, it is a dim/brighten switch. It can be used to dim or brighten the devices in the last used scene.

It’s not a load switch??? I found the following product description:

Part # VRCZ4-MRZ The Vizia RF + 4-Button Zone Controller with IR Remote Capability is ideal for remote control of up to four different zones (areas) of Vizia RF + scene-capable devices PLUS it has a built-in On/Off Relay switch for controlling a local load as well.

[quote=“Juggler, post:6, topic:175295”]It’s not a load switch??? I found the following product description:

Part # VRCZ4-MRZ The Vizia RF + 4-Button Zone Controller with IR Remote Capability is ideal for remote control of up to four different zones (areas) of Vizia RF + scene-capable devices PLUS it has a built-in On/Off Relay switch for controlling a local load as well.
[/quote]

There is a load that the switch can control, but that is not what the bottom rocker is for.

When you include to Vera, you get 2 devices, each with it’s own id:

• switch
  • zone/scene controller

When you first install it, all the 4 main rockers will turn the load on/off. When reprogrammed by Vera, unless the local load is assigned to a button, the 4 main rockers become scene/zone controls.

If you want to leave 1 button to control the local load, just associate that button to the local load id, and you are done.

Ah. I completely misunderstood that. Can I assume the scene controller act in the same way?

I don’t have one, but I would think so.

How do you assign the switch to a load. I have one of these. I had it programmed and it WAS working. I had the top rocker assigned to a local load and it would operate another light in the scene. For some reason Vera decided to delete the whole thing after about 2 weeks and now when I try to include it again(after I removed it from Vera and did a reset on it), I get both the appliance module and the controller, but I cannot get the local load to work or anything on a scene with the local load. I can still get the local load to work with all rockers before Vera gets ahold of it.
Any ideas?

Try this:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17391.msg136813.html#msg136813

It looks like I have a bad VRCZ4-MRZ like many others had. This one was working for a week like I expected it to do. Then one morning it did a Houdini off Vera. When I tried to get it back on Vera, I could never get it control local load once Vera had. I guess it went bad. Back to Amazon.

Just something to note for the scene version… it will not dim the local load. On and off fine… but no dimming.

I am ok with no dimming. I hate it when things work and then for no apparent reason they quit working.

I had asked this question in another thread, but it probably belongs here.

A couple posts above, someone said the scene controller local load control does not dim. Does the zone controller allow dimming or does it behave the same?

And is there way to control the LED light colors through Vera?

[quote=“donkeykong, post:15, topic:175295”]I had asked this question in another thread, but it probably belongs here.

A couple posts above, someone said the scene controller local load control does not dim. Does the zone controller allow dimming or does it behave the same?[/quote]
Neither support dimming. Both are On/Off only.

[quote=“donkeykong, post:15, topic:175295”]And is there way to control the LED light colors through Vera?[/quote]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9923.msg66963.html#msg66963

Thanks!

I tried to add the line of code in Lua to set the indicator to RED when triggering a scene, but it didn’t work. I have the VRCS4, do you know if it only works with the zone controller? Also, your device names (XX,YY,ZZ) are simply what you renamed the controllers to?

XX, YY, and ZZ refer to the device ID of the controller. Look at the “Settings” tab, it is labeled “Device #” (in my attached picture, it is device #167, so to set the upper-most button to red, my luup code would be:luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneControllerLED1","SetLight",{newValue="2",Indicator="1"}, 167)

XX, YY, and ZZ refer to the device ID of the controller. Look at the “Settings” tab, it is labeled “Device #” (in my attached picture, it is device #167, so to set the upper-most button to red, my luup code would be:luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneControllerLED1","SetLight",{newValue="2",Indicator="1"}, 167)[/quote]

Ah I see, it’s the device # not the name. will try again!