Leviton Vizia RF+ scene controlling & scene indicators

I have a couple of Vizia RF+ scene controllers, and a couple of Vizia RF (earlier revision) scene controllers. The way I’ve configured the scene controllers, each button toggles a different scene… so button “ON” turns a lighting scene on, and button “OFF” triggers a different scene that shuts all of those lights off. The LED on each button indicates whether the ON scene is active of the OFF scene is active.

The problem I have is that sometimes I have initiated a scene, and then someone (or some other event) shuts off one of the lights in the scene. That’s fine, but I would like for the scene controller to indicate that by having the LED go off, and then then next button press would again be a “ON” command. As it stands, if I trigger the ON scene with an “ON” button press, the lights go on, and if something turns one of the scene lights off, I have to then press the scene controller button twice to trigger the “ON” scene again.

I realize there are some functional differences between the two revisions of controller, particularly with the LEDs… but that should be unrelated to my situation (I hope).

You can always play with the LED’s if you want them to change under your own control. Either way, this Wiki post may assist in your quest to understand what’s going on:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Leviton_LED_Debugging

The biggest issue I have is that there are “delays” in the activation of the LED’s. For the most part though, the Scenes I activate are usually just one [Leviton controlled] Dimmer or Switch.

[quote=“guessed, post:2, topic:180560”]You can always play with the LED’s if you want them to change under your own control. Either way, this Wiki post may assist in your quest to understand what’s going on:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Leviton_LED_Debugging
The biggest issue I have is that there are “delays” in the activation of the LED’s. For the most part though, the Scenes I activate are usually just one [Leviton controlled] Dimmer or Switch.[/quote]
Thanks–I knew there was some documentation out there on the LEDs, but my question is related more to “what does the button do next.”

My scene controllers have been working great. I have no complaints. One button controls two lights, and the other controls… four or five? They work well, anyway, I just want to have the button trigger the “ON” scene if ANY lights in the scene are already off… and that is independent of the LEDs, isn’t it?

Right, but that command doesn’t just send the ZWave command. It also sets state in Vera, against the corresponding ZWave controller (urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneControllerLED1, LightSettings)

I would assume that, upon receipt of a Scene controller Button press, that Vera interrogates this to determine how it should behave (since a Scene controller may not indicate current state in it’s request, and something has to track that)

There is definitely some correlation going on after the initial Scene Controller Button press, since I can turn off one of the corresponding light switches, and the LED’s will update correctly (at least they do on the single-light-controlled Scene Buttons)

[quote=“guessed, post:4, topic:180560”]Right, but that command doesn’t just send the ZWave command. It also sets state in Vera, against the corresponding ZWave controller (urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneControllerLED1, LightSettings)
I would assume that, upon receipt of a Scene controller Button press, that Vera interrogates this to determine how it should behave (since a Scene controller may not indicate current state in it’s request, and something has to track that)
There is definitely some correlation going on after the initial Scene Controller Button press, since I can turn off one of the corresponding light switches, and the LED’s will update correctly (at least they do on the single-light-controlled Scene Buttons)[/quote]
Cool. If I have time, I’ll play around with this tonight & report back.

The Vizia RF+ has the option to set scene control and LED control from its device options in the UI, but the Vizia RF does not. Unfortunately, I only have RF controllers installed where I wanted to manipulate these LEDs. All the same, I’m curious, and since I have an RF+ device installed but unassigned to anything, I added some on/off scenes to see how the LEDs would behave.

I kept the same behavior… button press “ON” runs and “ON” scene, and button press “OFF” runs the “OFF” scene for the same lights. If I turn off a single light in the scene, the default behavior does not automatically turn off the LED for the associated button. I used the LED debugging steps to arrive at the “options” screen shown below. Where the RF+ has the SetLight value (shown in the red box), the RF doesn’t. Hmph. I had hoped I could get there by going around the UI.

Even after sending this command to the RF+, though, the LED didn’t change status. I wanted to set button #2 to orange:

http://[ip]:3480/data_request?id=action&DeviceNum=73&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneControllerLED1&action=SetLight&newValue=3&Indicator=2

…but this didn’t work. No LEDs changed state.

I found the key to doing what I want to do is just going through the UI. See the attachment “If Any Light Turned Off.png.” In the Advanced options for the scene, it’s possible to set the status of the light if any light in the scene is turned off. This, in turn, sets the status of the button. If one light it is turned off, the next button press on the scene controller for that scene turns all lights on. Perfect. But it doesn’t seem as if it’s possible for the non-RF+ devices.

I realize now that using these settings in the Advanced screen of each scene allows me to coordinate the operations of all scene controllers. To keep it simple, if I want each button 1, 2, 3, and 4 to do the same thing no matter where I am in the house, I can set it in the scene to set the lights and therefore set the next operation for all scene controllers. If I turn on the scene in one area of the house… the LEDs light up for that scene on all scene controllers. The next button press will turn off the scene. If a light is turned off in the scene, the button for that scene on all scene controllers will shut off.

This is the way it’s supposed to be, IMO. I guess I’ve just never played with the RF+ devices. sigh Now I have to go & replace the RF ones. Fortunately, there’s the 20% discount at Amazon if you buy two or more Leviton devices until 4/26. And the RF+ scene controllers are listed at $5 cheaper than the RF controllers. Weird.

If I had a go around, I’d buy zone controllers instead of scene controllers. I have early model VRCS4-MRZ units, an wish I’d bought the Zone controller model instead.

If you have to change them out, it might be worth thinking snout that also. There’s a recently updated thread on the differences.

I really don’t know what the differences are, so I’ll need to look up that thread… but I wish you’d said something a few hours ago… my order is in… :smiley:

EDIT: I see the thread here, but I’m not yet convinced of the differences.

Fair enough. My primary use-case for these is to remotely switch on one, and sometimes more, lights.

The biggest headache I have with the Scene controllers is the Toggle-nature, since there are times that a pure “press this for On, and this for Off” would work better than having to cycle them (esp when ZWave flakes, or there is a lag in the response times of the LEDs)

I have a non-load controlling Leviton Zone controller in a box somewhere that I meant to try out, but never got around to. I bought it off eBay before noticing that it wasn’t load controlling, so I can swap it for one of my existing Scene Controllers (they’re all load controlling ones)

[quote=“guessed, post:10, topic:180560”]Fair enough. My primary use-case for these is to remotely switch on one, and sometimes more, lights.
The biggest headache I have with the Scene controllers is the Toggle-nature, since there are times that a pure “press this for On, and this for Off” would work better than having to cycle them (esp when ZWave flakes, or there is a lag in the response times of the LEDs)[/quote]
Got it. I’m not convinced yet–especially with the use of PLEG–that I couldn’t do the same thing with a scene controller. I’m thinking that mainly because you can trigger two completely different “things” (scenes, PLEGS, lights?) on a button “ON” vs. a button “OFF.” But I don’t have enough scenes that I want to trigger with buttons to try, anyway :slight_smile:

You can trigger two completely different things (On vs Off) with a Scene controller also, it’s just less obvious about which one you’re triggering :wink:

If one were to use red/green or orange/green LEDs, rather than defaulting to ON/OFF, you’d just have to remember which color does what for each button… but I get your point!

I happened to have a RF+ single-button zone controller in the house, and a completely nonfunctional 3-way switch (I think I bought the wrong model of complementary switches for my dimmers). So I put in the zone controller and added it to Vera. It appears to have exactly the same options as a 4-button scene controller… only with 3 fewer buttons. Interesting, though, in the advanced screen is that under SetLight it still provides a field for “indicator,” even though there’s only one.

The zone controller isn’t yet doing what I want it to do, even though it seems to be configured correctly. It goes on & off, but doesn’t trigger any scenes. It’s been a long day, though, so I may have messed something up.