Leviton DZS15 Issue

I bought a Leviton DZS15 switch today on a whim as I wanted to be able to set my front lights to go on and off at certain times and control them through my Vera Lite controller. The instructions called for a four wire install for a single pole application which I found strange. The switch I replaced only had two wires (no ground, but the box appears grounded). So, I put these wires on the two top spots and did not attach a wire to the red terminal. The switch comes to life and I was able to pair it with my Vera Lite hub, but the front lights will not go on or off. Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried rewiring it several ways including putting one of the wires to the red terminal, but when I do that it will not come to life. I would think it is wired correctly since it has power and was able to pair with my hub. Perhaps I am using this wrong? Does it have to speak to a Z-Wave lamp and thus does not really have the ability to turn a regular light on and off? If that is the case, I just blew $50, but that was definitely not clear on the packaging.

Thanks,

Austin

You have to wire everything correctly or it will not work.
the two wire from your old switch are the line and load. Now you need to look for a neutral, it should be a bundle of white wires folded up in box, you need to add the neutral to that bundle.
If there is not a bundle of white wires in you box you are out of luck and will likely not be able to put a z-wave switch there. (Or you need to find an old model zwave switch that does not require a neutral or get an electrician to run the neutral to the box).

Their should also be a bundle of bare copper wire in the box, that is your ground. If there is not ground and the box is metal you should run the ground wire to the box, you can sandwich it in the screw you use to attach the switch to the box so the ground is touching the box.

Thank you, that makes sense. There are definitely some wire bundles within the box that I can use.

Thanks,
Austin