Latest version not always connecting properly?

With the latest Homewave, I can connect from my iPhone, and all my devices/cameras look good. If I hit the iPhone home button and then return to Homewave, most (but not always all) of the controls are dimmed as if it’s lost communication. If I double-tap the iPhone home button, swipe up Homewave to quit, then relaunch, everything looks good again. Perhaps there’s some initialization code that is executed the first launch and if Homewave is left in the background and you bring it up, it doesn’t work the same?

I’m seeing this at work using a cell connection. I’m not sure if the same is true on wifi. I will check tonight.

I have the same issue. When I return to HomeWave while keeping it running in the background on my phone everything is grayed-out. However instead of forcing the app to close, I touch the connection indicator symbol in top right corner to have it re-connect and it updates the status.

Some extra info for the developer. I tried this on wifi and did not see it displaying this same behavior. Not sure if anyone else is noticing the same thing.

How much time passes between the moment you close the app, and open it again?
Is your Vera on UI5 or UI7?

Regards,
Ronald.

UI is UI7. I’ll have to do some more timing tests. I did an immediate close and open and it worked, however, to test at home, I shut off my wifi on the phone so it may not be an accurate test here. Perhaps the problem is related to checking wifi/cell connections so I will gather more data when I am away from home.

I’m also on UI7. I switched WiFi off and left phone on stand-by for about 20-30 minutes.
It was enough time to recreate this issue.

My father has this problem (I use Android phone). UI7 on Iphone 6. I have tought him to hit the cloud in the top right corner to refresh, but it has been an issue. I tried to play with the timeout settings but not long ago he was on ui5 and I’m not sure if this problem happened with the UI7 change or with a Homewave update. But it never had this problem before.

He was used to just waiting a 2nd when it was gray and it would load/refresh and connect. Now he sits there and it never changes. So that’s where hit the cloud in the top right as come into play.

There appear to be 2 things happening here:

1. Controls being greyed out after the app has been suspended for 5 minutes
  2. App not reconnecting when outside the house

The 1st one is as intended. When bringing back the app after 5 minutes, greying out the controls is its way of telling you that you shouldn’t count on the displayed state as being accurate anymore. When on Wifi, the reconnect usually happens fast enough for this effect not to be noticable.

The reconnect issue is due to a bug and specific to UI7. It will be fixed in the next version.

[quote=“intveltr, post:8, topic:186040”]There appear to be 2 things happening here:

The 1st one is as intended. When bringing back the app after 5 minutes, greying out the controls is its way of telling you that you shouldn’t count on the displayed state as being accurate anymore. When on Wifi, the reconnect usually happens fast enough for this effect not to be noticable.

The reconnect issue is due to a bug and specific to UI7. It will be fixed in the next version.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the update.

I’m having a ton of connectivity problems too. Not sure what broke, either the Vera update or the latest home wave update. I’ll open the app and everything looks fine. As soon as I try to control a light, the control will turn gray and the icon in the top right will go from wifi-bars to a red cloud back to red wifi. Sometime the light I’m attempting to control will turn off and then right back on. It’s hugely annoying and it’s breaking the wide acceptance factor. She pretty much given up on using the phone to control stuff because of this : (

I’ve been having the exact same problems. Sometimes hitting the refresh cause the command to send, but the button grays out again so I can’t tell what the state it even though I can see the light change. Using my browser works just fine. Its just homewave.

I should specify I’m on UI5. I haven’t changed anything in a while or done any upgrades on Vera.

Try increasing the timeout settings in the network tab, maybe that will help.

I’ve no idea what is causing this, the net code hasn’t changed significantly and I don’t have the problem myself (on UI5 and UI7, with 100+ devices). If anyone else is experiencing this problem, please let me know.

[quote=“intveltr, post:8, topic:186040”]There appear to be 2 things happening here:

The reconnect issue is due to a bug and specific to UI7. It will be fixed in the next version.[/quote]

Has #2 been addressed?

Yes, in the upcoming version. I’m releasing it soon as-is (it doesn’t yet have all the changes I wanted for 2.0) but it’s been too long now. If you want to try a beta version, PM me your email address and I’ll shoot you an invite (and that goes for anyone)

I tried the timeout thing, did not fix it. I thought it was a home network issue but Veramate is working fine. I tried deleting the app and reinstalling. It seemed better for a time or two but went right back to being junky. I have not tried to rebuild my setup. I’d really prefer not to do that but, I will if it’ll help. Is there any kind of trouble shooting that I can do to help you figure out what might be causing this? It was perfect for months. Something broke with either a Vera update or an app update. The wife-acceptance-factor is slipping fast on my little home automation experiment so any help is greatly appreciated!

FYI, I’m using a Vera Edge with latest UI updates.

Did you fill in your Getvera credentials? If not, try filling them in. If you already did, remove them. If the problems persist, please enable logging and mail me the log. I suspect there’s something not going well in the discovery process; having the user/pass filled in or not affects this process.

It is still kind of quirky. I’ve emailed you the log. Thank you for any help you can provide.