Kwikset smartcode deadbolt pairing

Just as a test, try swapping out the boards with a working one to see if it is a faulty board.

• Garrett

Also, try excluding first; and move the lock and Vera close together.

I am haveing major problems with this deadbolt. There is one big black button in the middle bottom. Then there are two little while buttons at top left and right. Di I push the top left button to pair with vera? It look like a button, but I peeled the cardboard paper awar from arount the button, and it doesnt look like pushing it is actually doing anything. Its almost like a fake button. Am I doing this right? Please help

@jasgal,

Welcome!

Yes.

Is there a Z-Wave board present in the lock? (The little white button activates a switch on that board, which slides in from the top, so it sits behind those buttons.)

NO! I guess thats the problem. There is a black piece if plastic that slides out. Not an electronic board. How do i get that. That package advertised with home connect. Do I have to buy this extra?

Thanks

Wow! If it was sold to you as HomeConnect (does it have the little HomeConnect sticker on the box?), then it should have had the board. That’s essentially what HomeConnect adds.

@garrettwp - I’m just planning on replacing the one with issues.

@oTI - It’s not paired with Vera to start with (it does not show up in Vera to start with) -

However, The manual says to press the same z-wave button for pairing and un-pairing - which is what I tried also by removing the bat pack few times - that didn’t work either.

Update: @oTI - Thanks for the tip - Now I got the last one working :slight_smile:

Actually the confusion I had was with unpairing from Vera - It appears in order to unpair, I need to press and hold the Z-wave button on Vera as opposed to press and release quickly to pair - I noticed the different blink late for the Z-wave unpair vs pair and that did the trick :slight_smile:

Wow…Amazing - this is what happens when a small detail is missed…

@oTI and @Garrett,

1. So it appears the Lock I had a problem pairing was already paired with Vera

2. So that being the case, why didn’t Vera show this to start with??

But ne way - thx a lot for your help. I got this working now :slight_smile:

Well, it’s not a given it was included into your Vera’s network. Could have been any network (factory test?).

Yes oTi@ - Good Point. I actually didn’t think Vera had any issue to start with. (Because 4 out of 5 paired okay, as you pointed out, it is possible this one had been already paired and never un-paired??)

• But I was almost ready to replace this one, until I saw your input on trying to un-pair and pair it again. I thought why not give that a try and Voila…there it goes - Showed up in Vera just like others :slight_smile:

Note: This also resets Vera’s security key! This means if you have paired secure devices, and you do not reset the Z-Wave network, they will no longer work after you do a factory reset. At present, only Z-Wave door locks are secure devices. Remember that doing a factory reset, such as double clicking the black button, does not reset the Z-Wave network. Any devices that were paired with Vera before the reset will still be paired after the reset. Secure devices, like door locks, will still be paired after a factory reset. But, since the factory reset creates new secure encryption keys, the devices will no longer work. You have to remove them from the Z-Wave network, and then add them again