Kwikset Battery Reporting

I have several Kwikset deadbolts (the one that Lowes sells) that have been largely trouble-free. Especially after I figured out that if you want the battery to last more than a month set the Poll Interval to 0!

My problem is that one of the locks is reporting battery life at 30%. I’ve put several sets of fresh batteries in and it always reports 30%.

I tried the configure node right now and the poll now buttons to see if I could force a refresh. Vera reports ERROR: Unable to get any information on node

Any ideas?

Update: I put fresh batteries in (again), deleted the device, and added it to the Vera. No problem adding, but now the battery reports 0%. Also, pressing the lock button does not engage the deadbolt. If I manually engage the deadbolt with a key, entering my code unlocks with no problem. I’m stumped!

Hi Timabe

I have two Kwikset Locks that I have used for 4 years. See:

I’m not sure what batteries you use but I use the Energizer Lithium.

They seem to last 4-6 months of heavy use. The battery level seems to hang around 100% until it steadily declines to 30%. At 30% I replace the battery. Remember batteries are very temperature sensitive. In cold weather lithium batteries seem to keep their charge the best.

What Vera firmware version UI are you using?

Don

Try turning back on polling the switch, but set the time interval to something like once a day.

I believe Vera gets the battery level when it polls the lock.

A lot of folks set the polling of locks to every three hours, and still get acceptable battery life.

Solved - at least partially. I took the battery holder out and blasted the inside with compressed air. A lot of dust and lint came flying out. Replaced the battery holder and checked the the device (UI7) and it reported 60% battery. I’m certain the batteries installed are fresh and thus the lock should be reporting 100%. I know the batteries are fresh because I tested them by using the same batteries in another identical lock (I have three). It reported 100%. Moved the batteries back to the questionable lock and it reports 60%.

At this point I guess I’m going to have to call Kwikset.

Go to the lock that has the issue in your control panel under devices. Select settings. Under Variables change the poll this node…to 10800 and save the changes this is what fixed mine.

Whenever you replace the batteries, “always” press the program button for 5 seconds. The battery low indicator is an alarm condition to reset this condition or drain the memory capacitor you must press the program button for 5 seconds.
Any other Kwikset questions just ask.
Do not you lithium, or rechargeable batteries either, the battery monitoring system will not check the battery levels correctly.

Hi I just replaced my batteries after battery low warning but I didn’t press the program button. In my vera UI it’s still saying 20%, do I need to open it up and press the program button to reset? I don’t wish to re-pair it. Thx

[quote=“Z-Wave, post:7, topic:185842”]Whenever you replace the batteries, “always” press the program button for 5 seconds. The battery low indicator is an alarm condition to reset this condition or drain the memory capacitor you must press the program button for 5 seconds.
Any other Kwikset questions just ask.[/quote]

[quote=“santakrooz, post:8, topic:185842”]Hi I just replaced my batteries after battery low warning but I didn’t press the program button. In my vera UI it’s still saying 20%, do I need to open it up and press the program button to reset? I don’t wish to re-pair it. Thx

[quote=“Z-Wave, post:7, topic:185842”]Whenever you replace the batteries, “always” press the program button for 5 seconds. The battery low indicator is an alarm condition to reset this condition or drain the memory capacitor you must press the program button for 5 seconds.
Any other Kwikset questions just ask.[/quote][/quote]

I just wait and let it update myself. The battery status don’t update that often and polling is only several hours. So If it don’t update in 24hours then maybe I would do something.

I never have to update my lock after I change out the battery. Although I have never changed any settings either.

I do not have a Kwikset but when I change the battery in a door sensor, I manually set the battery in the advanced settings to 100% until Vera gets around to polling it. It clears a few alerts I have set up.