JavaScript API pages online and UI7

Hi,

Just got a Vera Lite and have a few sensors and switches set up. Since it is UI7 more plug ins don’t work than do, at least the ones I’ve looked at.

So, I thought I’d dive and and do some programming. My background is primarily C/C++, embedded Linux systems, with some JavaScript/PHP/CSS,HTML mixed in for good measure. I did some semi-advanced LUA programming on one embedded project a year or so ago, so once I get enough details sorted out I hope to be able to fix a couple of the issues I was trying to solve with existing plugins.

So my question is, some time ago it was mentioned here that a new API doc for UI7 was in the works. I think it was back in September if I recall.

I haven’t seen anything mentioned since then, but while trolling the various Luup and plug in documentation on line I found the JavaScript API link. There it says in section 4 JavaScript API for UI7. But the link that led to that page has a note “needs update”.

Does anyone know if the JavaScript API doc is safe to refer to, or does it need additional updates? I want to try avoiding going down the rabbit hole if it isn’t safe to follow.

Thanks,
Burt

Hi Burt,

In my experiance it is not 100% reliable. Some functions work local but nor remote (api.getDataRequestURL is one, they promise to add it in the next release.)

performActionOnDevice and performLuActionOnDevice are simply non existing. What I did is download the js files from the Vera and study them a bit.

Cheers Rene

[quote=“reneboer, post:2, topic:184295”]Hi Burt,

In my experiance it is not 100% reliable. Some functions work local but nor remote (api.getDataRequestURL is one, they promise to add it in the next release.)

performActionOnDevice and performLuActionOnDevice are simply non existing. What I did is download the js files from the Vera and study them a bit.

Cheers Rene[/quote]

O and what I forgot to mention. When working remote none of the plugins that have javascript for the UI will load the first time. I must always click the Settings or other non-static JSON tab twice for it to load. The firebug console shows a timeout. I reported it to support and they said it was because my example was a large javascript file, but I even have it on a js file of just 30 lines.

Cheers.

Burt and Rene,

This post from Aaron our CTO should help explain whats currently going on with that.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,28913.msg208421.html#msg208421

-Marc

Hi,

Last night I got update 1.7.481 and I see that four of the five issues I reported have been resolved. Kudo’s to MiOS. Keep up the good work fixing issues. We keep trying to find them ;D and I already did.

Marc, welcome to the team. I only do not quite get why putting so much effort in a better UI and then say we may not address issues because people use mobile apps nowadays. UI7 is much better and usable with a browser on Andriod where UI5 sure is not, so get UI7 working remote may draw usage back to the browser version. Day to day use may be app usage candidate, but controlling your Vera needs a browser. I do not see an app ever able to keep up with that.

Cheers Rene