Jasco Switches

A while back I believed I read that Jasco switches don’t support status updates so they aren’t the best switches to use in scenes/for scene controllers.

Is this still the case? I’m looking or quality switches that support BEAM. The Jasco switches seem reasonably priced, and I wasn’t sure if a later version of the Firmware for them addressed the status reporting.

No, they do not support instant status. This still is the case today.

• Garrett

So what would be the best alternative?

The big reason I’m interested in Instant Status is I have quite a few 3-way situations in the house, and a few places I want to combine multiple 3-way “zones” into one scene.

Right now I have some Insteon devices in my network and this works very well and is straight forward. However, I can’t use Insteon with my Schlage locks. And in order to get enough devices for BEAM to work I would need to even replace my Insteon devices. My Alarm system is also Z-Wave compatible (but its looking like as a controller only).

So I’m trying to weigh the cost of Z-Wave with devices that have the same capabilities as my Insteon switches with Vera so it can be fully integrated, or continuing to use Insteon separate of my locks and alarm.

Also worth noting, Vera has much nicer iOS applications.

Thoughts?

The following switches provide the Instant Status feature:

On/Off Relay Switch (Neutral wire is required)
Leviton VRS15-1LZ 15A Scene Capable Switch
with the Leviton VP0SR-1LZ Digital Matching Remote Switch for 3-way applications.

Cooper RF9501AW Single-Pole Wireless Light Switch
with the Cooper RF9517AW Accessory Switch for 3-way applications.

Incandescent Dimmer (Neutral wire not required.)
Leviton VRI06-1LZ 600W Incandescent Scene Capable Dimmer
with the Leviton VP00R-1LZ Digital Matching Remote for 3-way applications.

Cooper RF9534AW 600W Incandescent Smart Dimmer
with the Cooper RF9542-ZAW Accessory Smart Dimmer for 3-way applications.

LED Dimmer (Neutral wire is required.)
Leviton VRE06-1LZ 600W Electronic Low Voltage Scene Capable Dimmer
with the Leviton VP00R-1LZ Digital Matching Remote for 3-way applications.

Cooper RF9540-NAW Master Dimmer Light Switch
with the Cooper RF9542-ZAW Accessory Smart Dimmer with LEDs for 3-way applications.

Remember that Vera can support Insteon devices so you may not wish to replace your Insteon switches. You can increase your Z-Wave network coverage by adding other switches or devices to serve as relays. You could add Aeon Labs DSD37 Z-Wave Range Extender/Repeater or I would recommend repeaters with functionality like the GE/Jasco 45603 Z-Wave Technology Wireless Lighting Control Fluorescent Light & Appliance Module, which will act as a repeater as well as offering lamp/device switching capability for almost the same price as the Aeon repeater.

Do the Leviton/Cooper ones you mention support BEAM as well?

Also, I have some dimable Cree LED bulbs which are triac dimmer compatible, so I’m assuming I could also buy the incandescent dimmers in those cases instead of the LED dimmers as well?

That’s a great question. No, I do not believe that the Leviton/Cooper switches support Beaming. Although the repeaters and 45603 appliance modules that I linked to do support Beaming.

Your assumptions about the Cree bulbs may not work as well as you hope. A few people have success, but most others have flickering and buzzing issues with the dimmers that do not utilize a neutral wire. The LED dimmers that I linked to will definitely work with the Cree bulbs.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:6, topic:179404”]That’s a great question. No, I do not believe that the Leviton/Cooper switches support Beaming. Although the repeaters and 45603 appliance modules that I linked to do support Beaming.

Your assumptions about the Cree bulbs may not work as well as you hope. A few people have success, but most others have flickering and buzzing issues with the dimmers that do not utilize a neutral wire. The LED dimmers that I linked to will definitely work with the Cree bulbs.[/quote]

Adding to buzzing and flickering, you may not get the full range of brightness/dimming, either.

My concern is if we ever sell the house someone will put regular bulbs in place of the LED bulbs :slight_smile: I have some of my Cree bulbs on traditional Triac dimmers (with the knob) and they seem to work fine.

Maybe it makes sense just to stay with Insteon, the switches are a lot cheaper (which may not be a good thing), I already own an ISY. And I know they work with Fluorescents.

Why not use the isy plugin to work with Vera?

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:9, topic:179404”]Why not use the isy plugin to work with Vera?

• Garrett[/quote]

He needs the signal to get to the new Lock he wants to install, but the insteon devices have essentially filled all of the available locations on their way from his vera controller to the new Lock.

he could try:

1. increasing range with an external antennae.
  2. relocating the vera within range of the new Lock
  3. adding another vera lite that will reach the new lock
  4. z wave repeaters along the path in existing outlets

Place a few ge appliance modules near the lock and extend the vera antenna.

• Garrett

My understanding of the BEAM protocol is I need the repeaters in a path from the locks back to the vera, as the BEAM message needs to be able to go through BEAM capable devices from point a to point b.

Can you confirm?

[quote=“amattas, post:12, topic:179404”]My understanding of the BEAM protocol is I need the repeaters in a path from the locks back to the vera, as the BEAM message needs to be able to go through BEAM capable devices from point a to point b.

Can you confirm?[/quote]
Only the end node in the path, the last node that directly speaks with the lock, must support Beaming. Intermediate nodes in the path, that route the command to that final node but do not speak directly to the lock, do not have to support Beaming.

Beaming
Locks, like other battery operated devices sleep. During this sleep period, they may miss regular commands. So, locks wake up and listen quite frequently, as compared to other battery operated devices like door/window sensors. The lock will wake up, at least momentarily, periodically(every 250-500 milliseconds). A Beaming capable node sends a special signal with a long frame preamble that serves to notify the battery operated device(lock) that there is a command waiting for it and it should stay awake for a bit and listen for it. The long preamble causes the transmission to last for an extended period which will overlap with the lock’s next wake up. Then the command and reply status is exchanged between the lock and Vera. This process negates the need to send and timeout several commands. It increases performance and overall reliability.

Look into Frequently Listening Routing Slaves(FLiRS) and beaming for more detailed information, if you care.