Issues getting SQRemote to update and connect to Vera reliably

Sometimes I cannot get SQRemote to connect to the Vera. It works reliably on my own WiFi, and reasonably well on 3G, but often fails when I am on the corporate WiFi (probably due to firewall issues).

What I would expect to happen is that SQRemote tries a direct connection to Vera first, and if that fails, try using a remote connection via myMiOS. But in some cases it seems to be stuck trying a direct connection, never switching to myMiOS. When I set SQRemote to “always connect using remnote access”, it does work reliably, however I do not want to use remote connection when I’m at home, since a direct connection is established much faster.

Once connected, SQRemote often displays incorrect device states, i.e. lights are shown as “off” when they are actually on (as shown on the Vera control panel). It would be nice if there was an option to refresh this info manually, and when a panel is opened SQRemote should refresh that info automatically at least. iVera works a bit better in that regard.

For the rest, I’m quite happy with the software. I hope these two issues will get fixed.

Hi intveltr

There is a method of refreshing manually… go into setup, select MiOS Systems & Devices, select you system and scroll down, you should find an option to refresh your system data.

Will a system data refresh also update the state of all devices? Even if it does, I’d rather see the software doing a refresh of all items on a panel automatically when I open it, or that each panel gets its own easily accessible refresh button.

The software does do a refresh immediately on re-open from sleep… if its not getting refreshed once its awake, then its not getting an update from MiOS correctly. What version of Vera firmware are you using.

I’m using 1.1.1338 (beta)

What I observed today is that the ambient temperature reading for a thermostat was off in SQ Remote, but could control the thermostat just fine. Went into iVera and it showed the correct temperature. Killed the SQ Remote app, restarted it and it now showed the correct temperature as well. (1.1.1338)

There does seem to be something sticky here… but I am having difficulty in re-creating it. We will keep looking into this.

@ SQ Remote:

Would it be possible to add a MiOS refresh button somewhere on the interface rather than in the settings menu in your next update?..even in the edit menu.

I’ve sat side by side with my wife on more than 1 occasion and our thermostat shows different settings on each of our iPhone’s, even at times when neither 1 of ours our correct. Tonight, after we got home, they both showed a different actual temp and set temp. I refreshed my data to correct mine. Then I proceeded to up the temp and it shortly after showed on hers, but her actual temp was still incorrect. Also, my lighting settings were not correct before the refresh.

In the end it creates confusion not knowing who’s is correct if any. We have 3 daughters at home that we are constantly following behind so we keep tabs on lights and the temp even when we’re not home. Considering it seems somewhat unreliable it would make it much more convenient to have that option at the press of a button rather than digging deep into the app.

I understand that MiOS is only a portion of your app and will jump on your IR blaster when you replenish your stock, but anything to make it more fluent would be great.

Hi Double J

Try increaseing the timeout on the refresh, and changing the polling interval… We actually poll every 3 seconds by default, but depending on the conditions of the network and how vera is behaving, the poll can timeout and start causing issues…

We have had a rash of issues in this area with more recent firmware versions and Vera2 boxes. We havnt really found what the problen root cause is, but most people seem to have found increasing the timeout works for them.

Let us know if that helps…

Mat

I will try that. What I did realize tonight is my iPad seems to be consistent and not have this issue besides a random miss on the setting of a light. Although, it corrects itself when the state of the light is changed(from another device)…unlike our phones which take a manual refresh to correct themselves.

My theory is that it does not leave the house and subsequently does not leave the local network as our iPhones do. It seems we only have to refresh our phones that initial time when checking it out and about or at home. Although, maybe changing those times will correct it considering the time it takes my phone to leave the range of my home wifi to the cell network and vice versa…

I’ve increased the poll timeout value as per your recommendation, and also increased the poll interval a little, and that seems to have made polling a lot more reliable in my case.

After changing the timeout and polling I have noticed a better reliability on the state of our devices. Although, now we have frequent chronic issues of SQ not displaying the names of devices. Instead of ‘living room’ or ‘kitchen’ or ‘dining room’ they all come up as ‘dimmer’ and occasional issues that they won’t control the devices at all.

Whether we re-open the app or even kill it, the same issue still exists until we go into the settings and refresh the data. If this is suppose to happen when the app is opened it is not. I still think that a refresh button along the top bar of the screen would be a simple and viable solution. Especially considering there’s usable space for one and I believe most users would accept it as ‘fix’ if they’re having issues. Also considering that it does seem to correct any communication errors in most glitchy incidences.

I still consider SQ as the best interface having had the time to play around with other ones on any platform. Reliability would give it the hands-down advantage in my opinion.

Since a week or so, SQ Remote has pretty much stopped working reliably. Half the time it will not connect, or not even try to connect, and when it does connect it will frequently fail to update anything, or appear to do an update but still show out-of-date information. This is either on WiFi or 3G. I’m not sure if it’s the software, my setup (I am still on UI4 by the way), the connection, MIOS, or the software settings, but without any error messages it is hard to diagnose anything. The disheartening part is that I seem to be the only one with these problems…

Is there any way I can debug/diagnose these connections and refresh problems?

[quote=“Double J, post:12, topic:169342”]After changing the timeout and polling I have noticed a better reliability on the state of our devices. Although, now we have frequent chronic issues of SQ not displaying the names of devices. Instead of ‘living room’ or ‘kitchen’ or ‘dining room’ they all come up as ‘dimmer’ and occasional issues that they won’t control the devices at all.

Whether we re-open the app or even kill it, the same issue still exists until we go into the settings and refresh the data. If this is suppose to happen when the app is opened it is not. I still think that a refresh button along the top bar of the screen would be a simple and viable solution. Especially considering there’s usable space for one and I believe most users would accept it as ‘fix’ if they’re having issues. Also considering that it does seem to correct any communication errors in most glitchy incidences.

I still consider SQ as the best interface having had the time to play around with other ones on any platform. Reliability would give it the hands-down advantage in my opinion.[/quote]

I have to agree. The program needs to be more reliable on the data. A refresh button would be a step in the right direction. For casual non-technical users (my girlfriend) the data / refresh glitches undermine confidence in the whole system.

From time to time i can see that my vera2 shows “server busy”, even when i don’t make any changes or something else.
Always when the “server busy” message shows up, sq remote is struggling with getting the information from Vera.
I’ve tested this several timers with always the same result.

[quote=“Lokupa, post:15, topic:169342”]From time to time i can see that my vera2 shows “server busy”, even when i don’t make any changes or something else.
Always when the “server busy” message shows up, sq remote is struggling with getting the information from Vera.
I’ve tested this several timers with always the same result.[/quote]

You may to have a look at your logs. I had an issue a while back where I was getting the “server busy” popup a lot. It turned out those were Lua engine restarts after crashes. You may have something taking down the Lua system, in which case there’s nothing for SQC to talk to…

–Richard