Is my Vera gone???

Hi guys

My yesterday’s Vera standard firmware upgrade was not successful, so I had to go through very painful Firmware Flash VeraLite process, including installing and running XP mode, etc, what took me many hours spent searching how to make it working. But the result of the firmware flash was a victory window - Success.

However, from this time my Vera does not wake up at all! All leds are off. Just when I unplug and plug again, 3 leds just blink (if I remove battery, those blink 2x) and nothing happens after. Hard reset does not work neither.

Is my Vera dead??? Any suggestion?

Thank you

David

Hi Dave,

Did you try to reset your vera and reload a backup? One that would be before the firmware update.

I would like to, but I cannot do anything as it is not working at all. I need some really hard hard factory reset, but it does not react at all. I also tried another power outlet, but the same result…

Do you have any lights at all on the unit?

Not sure what you mean by running XP mode.
When you do a hard reset, your vera needs to have internet access, What it tries to do is to update itself to the last released firmware. If it can’t find the firmware to upgrade to, it will hang or try to start with the firmware currently on the unit. In the process, it reboots quite a few times. First after wiping out all custom settings, and downloading the new firmware, then after the firmware is updated and sometimes another time, I am not sure why.

Firmware upgrade is usually pretty painless, and takes only a couple of minutes. Downgrade on the other hand can be very painful. I would contact support if you cannot resolve it.

I mean this process: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Firmware_Flash_VeraLite. , but the result given by the app was “success”.

However, the unit never got working again - leds just blink once after I connect power in, but after that no led at all. The support suggested to try another power unit, but it did not work neither…

I mean this process: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Firmware_Flash_VeraLite. , but the result given by the app was “success”.

However, the unit never got working again - leds just blink once after I connect power in, but after that no led at all. The support suggested to try another power unit, but it did not work neither… :frowning:

I’m assuming you contacted support and they’ve been no help…
You did a full reset as described here?
http://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2591718-how-do-you-factory-reset-a-vera-controller-
(FWIW, it’s not always easy to do, I still haven’t successfully get the veraplus to reset with their steps)

If the full reset doesn’t work there are some low-level things you can do to check what’s happening, but it’s easier to do than teach someone what to do.

As an example…
For starters do you have any way to monitor what’s going on with the device on the network?
Can you plug it into a device like a switch which can show an active connection and/or traffic?
If it’s getting on the net you may be able to do some things, but that all depends how far the system gets in its boot sequence.

As you can tell, this will be a slow process and since the testing actions follow a decision tree flow, this is not a fun thing to do on a forum. I’d push on support to guide you, hopefully they can get you to the point where they have remote access and can drive the ship.

[quote=“ddavid, post:7, topic:195468”]I mean this process: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Firmware_Flash_VeraLite. , but the result given by the app was “success”.

However, the unit never got working again - leds just blink once after I connect power in, but after that no led at all. The support suggested to try another power unit, but it did not work neither… :([/quote]

The blue power light should be blinking or solid. So like support told you, my first thought is a power issue, which is most likely due to the power adapter since you’ve already ruled out the wall outlets. Some other things come to mind also:

1. How long did you wait after it was plugged in? It can take 30 mins or so for it to fully “comeback to life” after that firmware flash process. If you haven’t already, I suggest you plug it in and let it sit a while, comeback later and see if any lights are on or blinking.

2. I had an issue a while back after a different firmware update that appeared to have bricked my vera. I wasn’t able to put the vera in reset mode to load a backup, so I reflashed the firmware (orange zwave light blinking rapidly). Once I got to the step you’re at, I couldn’t access my vera either. However, it did have the power led on. After some time I then decided to try reset mode again, which then worked for whatever reason. Once in reset mode (blue power led blinking), I was able to access my vera through the IP address and reload my back up. However the firmware wasn’t updated, so I went through the update process again and it worked fine that time around. If you think you may be at this point, try putting it in reset mode (blue light blinking) to see if you can access it through the IP address, and if so reload your backup and try the firmware update again.

3. Could be some issue with memory available in your veralite as well, like it wasn’t able to install the firmware properly or is corrupt so it just shuts itself off right away. You’ll definitely need support’s help for that.

Of course, worst case scenario is your vera is dead. Hope that’s not the case for you!