Is Ezlo Plus Ready for Prime Time?

Hi @ibrewster ,
please see my answers below.

GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Light Dimmer
ECS-411
one of our team members will test the Alexa integration and controls (dim, on-off). and he will get back to you immediately.

AEON LABS Z-WAVE 4-IN-1 SENSOR
ECS-412
this is a very old device in the market, based on my previous experience this device has some malfunctioning. Anyway, we will retest it with the updated FW today and let you know.

Zooz ZEN16
ECS-459
We will check this today to see if it is fixed or not. I will update you about this.

Hey @Hottoy I just PM you about the wifi devices.

Blockquote
1)You want some devices integrated …(we established a process recently and @BenjaminB is running it and he will be in touch with you to make sure we put all your requests thru the new process he has setup). We started this process recently and anything being requested into that process, we are aiming to resolve and release within 90 days. (if you had put a request before the launch date of this service it wasn’t included in this process…).

Does that mean requests before are only processed with lower priority? I’m waiting for the integration of Aeotec Multisensor 6 for 9 month now (ECS-410)!

Hey @Odysee the process is @melih mentioned above has started recently. We have established a new device integration team and started to consider newly created tickets (starting from April-May). anyhow, we will check ECS-410 this week and let you know.

I’ve been following this debate on whether Ezlo is ready for prime time for well over a year, and it’s sad to see that Ezlo hasn’t developed any sort of plugin capability like Vera has. I rely on plugins for all my home automation. Without sensors from my DSC alarm system, the automation won’t function. Without PLEG or Reactor, my programming is too complex for simple scenes.

What is even more frustrating, is that I had to call up Vera/Ezlo support yesterday, and the tech I spoke with was pretty dismissive about supporting Vera at this point. He told me it’s no longer manufactured, and the device I was having issues with ( a GE Enbrighten Smart Motion Switch) wasn’t natively supported, so he wouldn’t help me. Maybe it was just that tech, but all I was asking for was support with setting a parameter. One that I’d done 4 times before on 4 of these switches, but it was giving me issues doing the 5th. He wouldn’t even look at my issue, because it wasn’t integrated natively. I can understand a little bit from a small or unheard of manufacturer, but GE isn’t exactly unheard of.

The mods on the forums promised that native integration was being developed 3 or 4 years ago for that device, but it’s never come to fruition. That sort of “promise” is the crux of the problem with Ezlo. They keep promising the plugin support is being developed, but their promises are empty ones.

it must have been the old management 4 years ago…

If there are any devices you want it integrated natively into Ezlo FW.
please provide the list (you can create an Integration request) by clicking here

The process is: We will purchase that device (if it is commercially available) and start integrating and you will see the progress thru the ticket/request you created.

Today there is a plugin capability: There are plugins that people have written.
what is missing is : easy to use plugin with a market place. We are working on that and getting very close to something easy to use.

Well, it was still promised and never came through. Why can’t you fulfill that promise? The device is still commercially available.

GE 26931/ZW4006.

According to the tech I spoke with, it is native with Ezlo, which is nice, but until there is a DSC plugin and a Reactor like plugin, and a robust marketplace, there is no way I’m switching. I suspect there are many users who would switch over if the product was as robust as Vera.

Ok we established that the device you talk about is already integrated and supported.
Lets address the new requirements you outlined.

1-DSC plugin
2-Reactor like rule creation engine (what rules can you not create with the current WebUI at the moment?) (I think Reactor already works with Ezlo?)
3-Marketplace: for plugins I assume?

Yes, the DSC plugin (alarm system integration) is a show stopper. I use an Envisalink 4 in my current Vera Plus setup, which provides motion sensors, door and window sensors, and smoke/fire detection from my alarm panel. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but from this thread, it does not sound like this integration exists yet for Ezlo. JimMac reported this as well On Oct 11, so that is my basis for this not being available.

By marketplace, yes, I mean for plugins. Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but there doesn’t seem to be an easy method for installing Apps/Plugins like there is for Vera. Where do I find a list of plugins that are available? You said Reactor may be available with Ezlo. It’s possible, but I don’t know. There are a few others I use that I wouldn’t be able to fully program my system the way I do now without them, such as iPhoneLocator, NetMon, Heliotrope, and Darksky.

Not yet…

Have you tested our web based portal for rule creation?

Do you have issues with running two z-wave networks in one space? I have a large network running on Vera and have considered running a few devices on Ezlo. I wasn’t sure if it would create radio interference.

1 Like

I currently have a Vera Plus, Vera Lite (to support some devices that haven’t worked since UI5), Ezlo Plus, and, occasionally (for firmware updates) Ezlo Atom all running in the same space. Although there is some physical separation between the units, they all cover the same area, and have devices in the same area. There are no issues with this that I have been able to determine.

2 Likes

DSC plugin is not ‘yet’ available.

Could you help me with more details about how you use each one of these in your automation pls
iPhoneLocator
NetMon
Heliotrope
Darksky

as well as more info on how to find them (I would like to pass it to our new plugin team).

Have you tried http://ezlogic.mios.com/ to see if it satisfies your rule creation needs pls? (if there is some rule you can’t create, please tell us which rule so that we can expand EzLogic).

Like many others I also use the DSC plugin via an EVL4 and cannot migrate without this support. I also have numerous Reactor automations which would need to be migrated. Perhaps @rigpapa would be willing to support Reactor on Ezlo if the company could ever get its act together. He already committed to a multi-system version, but why write for a product clearly not ready for prime time.

I thought/hoped things would be different after Ezlo bought Vera Control - three years ago -, but the sadly the gating issues appear to continue as before. The only real change I see is the hardware is prettier.

1 Like

There is a version of Reactor that works with eZLO hubs and others today (and more on the way). It really is the ultimate flexibility, because it lets you choose the controller with best integration for every purpose/device, and since this new Reactor itself has a plugin architecture, it’s possible for it to directly support devices if the need arises, not just through the device support of a hub (I’ve working on MQTT and ZWave-JS direct integrations). There is an importer to bring in rules from the Reactor plugin for Vera, to smooth that transition, and of course, the new Reactor shares a lot of functionality and UI with that of the Vera plugin, so while there are differences, it’s not (IMO) a steep learning curve between them. The eZLO integration lets you do the basic things that eZLO hubs can do, but there are still many things people are used to doing on Vera that are not possible today with the eZLO hubs.

2 Likes

We have a new Plug in team, with a brand new Plug in framework. DSC plugin is one of the first plugins we will develop along with the launch of new Plugin framework including a marketplace ( I can provide a date in 2 weeks time but the initial launch will be this year)

As @rigpapa mentioned he already has Ezlo integration with his system that runs on a separate computer .
We also have a native rule engine called EZLogic that doesn’t require you to run another computer for automation. You can see some of its capabilities here

Yes, EZLogic for now has some functionalities missing compared to Reactor. EZlogic has a different architecture to provide these kind of functionalities in a different way very soon and add more capabilities that doesn’t exist in Reactor like being able to connect in a ready and easy to use way with “any cloud” app (not released to public yet)

This also comes with integration to other “hubs” like “Smartthings”

or
Honeywell, Netatmo or Openweather (much more being integrated)

We believe “Automation” should be provided “Natively” for our users, without having to require them to use another computer or third party plugins, we also believe our Platform should work with “any” home automation system out there.

2 Likes

FYI, I have my Multi-Hub Reactor running on an eZLO Plus. Not with it, on it.

1 Like

Great to hear!

I guess that means we got our act together :slight_smile:

Given that Reactor (Multi-Hub) runs on the Raspberry Pi 4, it wasn’t much of a stretch to get it running on the Ezlo Plus (same CPU architecture/family, less RAM, open source operating system).

Unfortunately, that really doesn’t move the ball forward for users much anyway, as the limitations of the current firmware and device support are the real factors people care about, I think, and where Reactor runs doesn’t change those. The fact that Reactor can work with other hubs to expand device support to the superset of all of them is far more relevant to user success. Nonetheless, I look forward to the future when Ezlo has completed that work, because more options for users is always better.

Also, going back to your original comment, many users have a NAS or other systems already running in their homes these days, and even desktop PCs running Windows can run Multi-hub Reactor, so it’s not like additional (and even more capable) CPUs are exceptional any more. Certainly for now that’s probably not your best talking point anyway, as current EZlogic is served from your cloud, and it’s hard to get more “running on a separate computer” than that.

2 Likes

Configuration is done in the cloud, but whole logic runs locally on Ezlo.
Once you set your rules using Ezlogic web ui, then the whole thing is downloaded to Ezlo Hub and runs there locally without requiring any other computer or cloud.

I am glad you have got Reactor to run inside Ezlo and does not require external computer for rules in Reactor.

I remember you said in our conversation in the past that automation should be provided natively and you would be happy to see us provide it natively. One step at a time, we are getting there.