Is an online account mandatory?

I was just wondering if it’s mandatory to have an online account before I can use my Vera3. What happens if I somehow lost internet access? Will I still able to add/control my devices?? Thanks!

Hi,

I can’t answer the first question about the mandatory account, but I can answer the second one. You do not need internet access to control Vera. It can be accessed directly through it’s local IP address. And if you have your router set to forward incoming ports, you can point it at the Vera and access it from anywhere from the internet. If you do not forward ports, you will need the online account in order to access the Vera outside of the local lan. This is assuming that the cloud servers that Vera uses are up and functioning. The online account is also needed for any smartphone apps because they use the Vera cloud servers to access and control Vera.

Hope this helps,

-bob

As stated you can use it without internet and z-wave along with local network (wifi) or such will still all work. But vera does rely on internet for remote connection, backups and restores, weather, and some plugins get all their info (sunrise, sunset times… ect) So yes it will work but you will temporary loose some things if internet is down.

[quote=“rbakley, post:2, topic:187150”]And if you have your router set to forward incoming ports, you can point it at the Vera and access it from anywhere from the internet.[/quote]Do not port forward to Vera. If you want direct access then use a VPN. This subject is covered extensively in these forums.

Do NOT port forward to Vera.

Thanks everyone!

But no one knows whether an online account is mandatory or not?

You need an online account to define users for the alert notification system.
You need an online account to have automatic backup’s saved other than on your Vera. Critical if your Vera dies!
You need an online account to use the Remote Access.
You need an online account if you want to SECURE your local access.
You need an online account with logs sent to it if you want to improve your chance that customer support will be able to assist you.
You need an online account to download plugins to your Vera from the APP store.

It not mandatory like smart-things but you will loose some functions as listed above if you don’t have internet or an account.

[quote=“boytroy88, post:5, topic:187150”]Thanks everyone!

But no one knows whether an online account is mandatory or not?[/quote]

boytroy, you do need to setup an online account initially to configure your controller, this assigns the serial number of your controller. Once you have done that the controller does not require an internet connection ever again. As others have mentioned, you will not have full functionality; backups will not be uploaded to your servers automatically, the energy functions will not work, weather will not update and so on. You can add devices, create scenes… and they will continue to function and run. You access your controller by typing the IP address directly into your web browser, make sure to no “secure” your controller, this will lockout local access. This is by design, the logic is stored locally so that if your internet connection goes out or you do have access in the location you deploy your controller to it will still function. We can do that because we don’t charge a monthly fee; those who do store all the logic in the cloud so they can shut you off if you stop paying the fee. I was without internet for three days around Christmas, the power supply in Verizon demarcation box went bad, my controller kept on keeping on with respect to all of the scenes and automation in the house.

[quote=“rbakley, post:2, topic:187150”] The online account is also needed for any smartphone apps because they use the Vera cloud servers to access and control Vera.

-bob[/quote]
Does this mean that an internet connection is required in order to use a smartphone to control Vera? Thanks

Does this mean that an internet connection is required in order to use a smartphone to control Vera? Thanks[/quote]
No. This is incorrect. Smartphone apps(most) will work locally as well as through Vera’s servers, so if the phone is on the same LAN as Vera, there is no Vera server needed. Also, if you are using a VPN to access your LAN remotely, the smarthone app can access Vera directly without Vera’s servers.

Vera can be used without Vera servers. However, Vera servers make everything much simpler/easier and much more convenient.

The ability to operate without Vera servers was essential in my choice of Vera. I must be able to continue using Vera if the company folds. But, I choose to use Vera servers for the convenience they provide.

Thanks for the information!

I have a few more questions. Can someone point me to the posts that talks about setting up remote access via privately owned VPN servers? I tried searching but just couldn’t seem to find the posts that address this. Also, any chance that Vera will release their “cloud” software so that we can set our controllers to access our own servers? I think that’s a long shot since they will also have to add that functionality to the UI but I wanted to throw it out there anyway. Lastly, I’m having issues setting up my Vera3 and would appreciate any help you all can give me - http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,31.0.html

Thanks again!!!

[quote=“boytroy88, post:11, topic:187150”]Thanks for the information!

I have a few more questions. Can someone point me to the posts that talks about setting up remote access via privately owned VPN servers? I tried searching but just couldn’t seem to find the posts that address this. Also, any chance that Vera will release their “cloud” software so that we can set our controllers to access our own servers? I think that’s a long shot since they will also have to add that functionality to the UI but I wanted to throw it out there anyway. Lastly, I’m having issues setting up my Vera3 and would appreciate any help you all can give me - http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,31.0.html

Thanks again!!![/quote]

I once knew this guy who got into some trouble dealing with fraud and the internet. He did some time and was put on 5 years probation which included limiting his access to some certian online activities…

Even he was allowed to setup and vera account. You my friend are either in way worse trouble or your very paranoid of people like him. It’s only a vera account not the plag.

This topic is too broad. With too many variables.

You’ll need to setup VPN access from the internet to your home network. The type of firewall(router) that you are using will have a huge impact on this. Also the type of phone you use, and which VPN protocols it supports, will affect your decision.

IPSec is probably the most secure VPN protocol option. However, it is complicated to setup and get working properly, so a lot of people shy away from it.

PPTP and L2TP are easier to setup but can be weaker if not layered over IPSec and are not widely available on consumer home use routers.

openVPN isn’t too widely supported on consumer routers, out of the box, but its ease of use and open source freeness is causing growing popularity. The availability of an Android openVPN client that does not require root is a somewhat recent game changer. Just checking iTunes, I see that there is now also an openVPN client for iPhone, but I have no idea how well it works.

Andriod supports L2TP and IPSec by default. openVPN is also supported by downloading the openVPN app.
iPhone supports PPTP L2TP and IPSec. - There may be others I’m unaware of, but I doubt it.

IPSec capable VPN routers such as the Cisco RV110W-A-NA-K9 Small Business Wireless N VPN Firewall Router are relatively inexpensive. Some routers don’t include WiFi such as the TP-LINK TL-R600VPN Gigabit Broadband VPN Router. There are many other routers as well and the prices generally go up based on features, performance, brand name…

***The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000) is a fantastic router that is increasingly popular. It supports openVPN by default and can also be loaded with alternate firmwares like openWRT. Edit: The Netgear routers openVPN configuration is not compatible with IPhone or Android.

Edit: The Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Router is also an excellent router comparable to the Netgear in features but supports higher speeds. As well as PPTP VPNs, this router also supports openVPN and can be used with iPhone and Android clients.

Speaking of alternate firmwares, many popular consumer routers can be loaded with alternative firmwares like openWRT, DD-WRT, Tomato and others that provide various VPN protocol options.

After you have installed a VPN solution that allows your external phones or PCs to connect to your private home network over a VPN, you simply need to configure the Vera app of your choice to access Vera as you would locally. It will then route through the VPN tunnel and you’ll have the same level of access that you do locally without the Vera servers.

*** Edit: It turns out that the Netgear routers support openVPN configurations that only work with desktop clients and not with smartphone clients. See this post later in this thread.

I have the R8000 and it says it doesn’t support the mobile versions of openVPN. You have any idea why and does yours say the same? I haven’t tried it to see if that’s actually true.

Thanks Z-Waver! I have a OpenVPN server already set up and have been using it with my Android phone when I’m on public WiFi. The information you gave is exactly what I need! Would you have time to look at the problem I have in the other thread I linked?? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:14, topic:187150”]I have the R8000 and it says it doesn’t support the mobile versions of openVPN. You have any idea why and does yours say the same? I haven’t tried it to see if that’s actually true.[/quote]Shoot! I don’t have an R8000, so I failed to realize this. I’m sorry for the misinformation.

After a little research, it seems that the openVPN server on the Netgear creates configs that require dev tap which is not available on non-rooted IOS and Android devices, which only support dev tun. To make your router work with openVPN on Android, you’d have to either root the phone and use an openVPN client that supports tap tunnels or use an alternate firmware on the router. Neither of these options seems optimal for a consumer router that you’ve spent $300 on.

Another messy option that could work with any router would be to setup your own openVPN server and portforward the openVPN port. I’ve been contemplating a Raspberry Pi2 for such a scenario. But I haven’t tested it yet, so I can’t speak for speed or reliability.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:6, topic:187150”]You need an online account to define users for the alert notification system.
You need an online account to have automatic backup’s saved other than on your Vera. Critical if your Vera dies!
You need an online account to use the Remote Access.
You need an online account if you want to SECURE your local access.
You need an online account with logs sent to it if you want to improve your chance that customer support will be able to assist you.
You need an online account to download plugins to your Vera from the APP store.
…[/quote]

FYI, you don’t appear to need the online account to use the app “store”. I’m up and running with mine without a MCV account.