Irrigation Caddy API

In case anyone needs it, IrrigationCaddy does have a documented API. They only give it out if you sign a non-disclosure agreement. Support was quick to send it to me once I signed. If you want it, just email support@irrigationcaddy.com

I emailed them and asked for it but they no longer supply the API. Can anyone share with me some info on how to control it from something like Java or VB Script?

I would like to at least do some automation around rain. Something like run a script at 1am that says “if it is going to rain more than 5 mm today then turn don’t water today”.

But to do so I would need to get some weather info but I am pretty sure that this type of info is available - this web site has some info: 7 Weather Forecast API for Developing Apps - Super Dev Resources

It would be even nicer if you could use something like a recipe in IFTTT

One other bit of info that might be a bit useful. Back in 2011 someone posted wrote a CLI that let’s you control the IC.

I have the latest version of the IC - I think it is called the W1. The problem is some of the commands don’t seem to work - however commands for starting and stopping the controller do work. So at least you can start and stop the irrigation

Hi ALL,
I have written a CLI for the Irrigation Caddy similar to the one mentioned below but much more powerful and it works with the web based controller lastest IC-W1-1.2.2623. I am in the beginning phase of beta testing it and I was wondering if anyone is interested. I mainly built it to be able to do the below items.

1. get current running status from Irrigation Caddy (if running then which zone and for how long is the running program)

2. start a zone

3. start a program

4. stop any running program/zone

5 get full status report from irrigation with this link current flow sensor data, rain sensor info etc.

below is a sample of the available data from the status CLI app have built. my app returns this as a string so you could parse it out.

{“zoneNumber”:10,“progNumber”:6,“allowRun”:true,“running”:true,“useCloud”:false,
“cloudConn”:“ok”,“useSensor1”:true,“isSensor1Open”:false,“isRaining”:false,“useS
ensor2”:false,“useMaster”:true,“flowRate”:0.00,“flowVolumeSec”:-450765404,“flowV
olume”:0.00,“zoneSecLeft”:274,“progSecLeft”:274,“expBlocks”:[],“maxZones”:10,“to
talZones”:11,“zoneLog”:[{“zoneNumber”:10,“timestamp”:460132009,“offset”:25.00},{
“zoneNumber”:10,“timestamp”:460128123,“offset”:8.00},{“zoneNumber”:10,"timestamp
":460128015,“offset”:12.00},{“zoneNumber”:10,“timestamp”:460128068,“offset”:5.00
}],“zones”: [{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{"isRun
":true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:
0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,"hr
":0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:5},{"isRun
":true,“hr”:0,“min”:0}]}

Let me know if anyone is interested in BETA Testing.

Chris

I mainly just use curl to turn the system on and off based on weather conditions. At this point, I don’t have any further need unless I start using moisture sensors or need some control over the zones.

However, if we could determine a way to predict soil moisture based on temp, precipitation, and irrigation history, then that could be useful in watering my flowers and garden.

Csorba, I’m interested. I’m actually more interested in an API, but I’d love to test your CLI.

Thanks for offering!

Hi, I would definitely be interested in testing this and maybe use it daily.

[quote=“Csorba, post:4, topic:180363”]Hi ALL,
I have written a CLI for the Irrigation Caddy similar to the one mentioned below but much more powerful and it works with the web based controller lastest IC-W1-1.2.2623. I am in the beginning phase of beta testing it and I was wondering if anyone is interested. I mainly built it to be able to do the below items.

1. get current running status from Irrigation Caddy (if running then which zone and for how long is the running program)

2. start a zone

3. start a program

4. stop any running program/zone

5 get full status report from irrigation with this link current flow sensor data, rain sensor info etc.

below is a sample of the available data from the status CLI app have built. my app returns this as a string so you could parse it out.

{“zoneNumber”:10,“progNumber”:6,“allowRun”:true,“running”:true,“useCloud”:false,
“cloudConn”:“ok”,“useSensor1”:true,“isSensor1Open”:false,“isRaining”:false,“useS
ensor2”:false,“useMaster”:true,“flowRate”:0.00,“flowVolumeSec”:-450765404,“flowV
olume”:0.00,“zoneSecLeft”:274,“progSecLeft”:274,“expBlocks”:[],“maxZones”:10,“to
talZones”:11,“zoneLog”:[{“zoneNumber”:10,“timestamp”:460132009,“offset”:25.00},{
“zoneNumber”:10,“timestamp”:460128123,“offset”:8.00},{“zoneNumber”:10,"timestamp
":460128015,“offset”:12.00},{“zoneNumber”:10,“timestamp”:460128068,“offset”:5.00
}],“zones”: [{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{"isRun
":true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:
0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,"hr
":0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:0},{“isRun”:true,“hr”:0,“min”:5},{"isRun
":true,“hr”:0,“min”:0}]}

Let me know if anyone is interested in BETA Testing.

Chris[/quote]

[quote=“PJJP, post:5, topic:180363”]I mainly just use curl to turn the system on and off based on weather conditions. At this point, I don’t have any further need unless I start using moisture sensors or need some control over the zones.

However, if we could determine a way to predict soil moisture based on temp, precipitation, and irrigation history, then that could be useful in watering my flowers and garden.[/quote]Can you give an example of how you use curl to do this?

With regards to your second question - there are folks doing stuff like this with the OpenSprinklerPi project. If you know temp, wind and sunlight amount then you can determine the Evaporation Rate and determine how much to water.

Using curl or the Irrigation Caddy plugin.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,7583.msg182734.html#msg182734

Thanks - I don’t actually use Vera. I have a Control4 HA system but I haven’t integrated my IC into this but I wouldn’t mind writing some code to stop my controlling from running if it is going to rain a lot in the next few days.

What other controls can you do via a URL? Can you change the runtime for a specific zone?

FYI, if anyone is interested in more about algorithms for determining how much to irrigate then check out the links from this thread on the OSPi forum :
http://www.fao.org/docrep/x0490e/x0490e04.htm
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/publist/500Series/577100-3.pdf
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/publist/600Series/619000-1.pdf

Do you know an API command to reboot the IC W1 v2 running latest firmware

[quote=“PJJP, post:5, topic:180363”]I mainly just use curl to turn the system on and off based on weather conditions. At this point, I don’t have any further need unless I start using moisture sensors or need some control over the zones.

However, if we could determine a way to predict soil moisture based on temp, precipitation, and irrigation history, then that could be useful in watering my flowers and garden.[/quote]