Iris Siren and Vera - Are "chimes" possible?

Hi there!

I have the Lowe’s siren connected to my Vera and working fine. Seems like all I can do so far is trigger a full blast. Is there a way to get a short and quick little “chirp” or "chime"when a door opens somewhere?

Thank you!

Nope. The best you could do is a scene that turns the siren on and turns it back off a second later. Definitely not a chirp.

That is an easy alarm system function. Vera is not an alarm system.It may act as one, but it is a terrible one.
I suggest you get an alarm system and integrate it with Vera for the best of both worlds.

It is a bit odd, I think anyway, that there is no ZWave annunciator device, a user selectable multi-tone chime/tone/etc. seems a natural for a control system like Vera to be able to notify locally. I use ImperiHome TTS for some things but its rather limited. I know there are things like Sonos but that seems like overkill for simple notifications. Maybe I’ll look at cobbling something with Arduino.

How about an AMAZON Echo?

How about an AMAZON Echo?[/quote]

Again seems a little like overkill for a local annuciator :relaxed:

Again seems a little like overkill for a local annuciator :relaxed:[/quote]

Better to overkill it then to not have it at all right? Echo has alot more features, maybe you need to find another reason to own one then this will just be a 2nd reason. LOL

I’ve thought about this issue myself, and I’ve kind of started working on something, though I haven’t had much time to flesh it out.

My idea was to use the speakers built into my foscam cameras. They have an API (unfortunately protected by an NDA) for the newer cameras, that allows you to authenticate with the camera, then send sound packets in the same manner that their web plugins and phone apps do.

I got partway there with their old interface and an older MJPEG camera, but didn’t have a lot of time to sit and play with it. I’m not terribly good at binary packet crafting, but I did learn a little bit. My idea was to write something that can run on open wrt and just use the vera unit to pipe the data to the camera.

Alternatively, I emailed them about being able to load sounds onto a memory card, then use their web API as a way to tell the camera to play the sound file. I’m not sure how far that idea is going to go, but I thought it was a decent way to make that happen.

Again seems a little like overkill for a local annuciator :relaxed:[/quote]

Better to overkill it then to not have it at all right? Echo has alot more features, maybe you need to find another reason to own one then this will just be a 2nd reason. LOL[/quote]

ROFLMAO :relaxed:

[quote=“ceefin, post:8, topic:188736”]I’ve thought about this issue myself, and I’ve kind of started working on something, though I haven’t had much time to flesh it out.

My idea was to use the speakers built into my foscam cameras. They have an API (unfortunately protected by an NDA) for the newer cameras, that allows you to authenticate with the camera, then send sound packets in the same manner that their web plugins and phone apps do.

I got partway there with their old interface and an older MJPEG camera, but didn’t have a lot of time to sit and play with it. I’m not terribly good at binary packet crafting, but I did learn a little bit. My idea was to write something that can run on open wrt and just use the vera unit to pipe the data to the camera.

Alternatively, I emailed them about being able to load sounds onto a memory card, then use their web API as a way to tell the camera to play the sound file. I’m not sure how far that idea is going to go, but I thought it was a decent way to make that happen.[/quote]

Hi any update on playing sound from camera? If so then could it be possible for you to give some detail

Thanks,
Dip

how about the Lowe’s Iris gen ii keypad? that has a chirper embedded. i know zigbee is hit or miss (miss) but would/could it work?

I ended up using sonos for all my radio and announcement ideas.

I play sounds using the Aeotec doorbell. The unit has built in storage for MP3s which can be individually played.

[quote=“pdipesh11, post:10, topic:188736”]Hi any update on playing sound from camera? If so then could it be possible for you to give some detail

Thanks,
Dip[/quote]

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to get very far in this effort. It’s something I’m still interested in doing, but life has gotten far too busy for months to allow me to sit down and make this happen. Foscam has an API that’s available after you apply for access to it, but for private individuals they don’t offer any tech support for it.