IP, NVR, Wired? Need Suggestions

Greetings,

I will cut to the chase and provide what I am looking to do, and hope that you more experienced persons can provide some guidance.

I am fairly competent when it comes to wiring and IT networking etc. but have little knowledge in regards to VERA and coding etc. (nor Do I want to learn complex solutions)

Am looking for a recommended camera solution for :

1. 4-5 outdoor Cameras
  2. 2 indoor cameras, one to be used as a baby monitor (2 way sound for that Cam)
  3. Remote connectivity a must
  4. Some type of video recording/storage
  5. I can run cat 5 to all camera locations if needed
  6. viewing cameras from inside of Vera would be a bonus
  7. would like for cameras to at least be able to trigger vera scenes (turn on light etc.)
  8. Would like Alerts from Cameras or through VERA
  9. Any interplay with DSC security?

Basically I am wondering should I go with a NVR based system such as http://www.lorextechnology.com/Security-NVR/HD-Security-NVR-with-1080p-Recording-and-FLIR-Cloud-Connectivity/LNR100.p

Or what would the downside be to going with just IP cameras and software?

I also have RTI control for my A/V, however I have not upgraded to an XP controller.

If it was your system what is the ideal build?
Thanks for your thoughts:

[quote=“hunt0035, post:1, topic:185147”]Greetings,

I will cut to the chase and provide what I am looking to do, and hope that you more experienced persons can provide some guidance.

I am fairly competent when it comes to wiring and IT networking etc. but have little knowledge in regards to VERA and coding etc. (nor Do I want to learn complex solutions)

Am looking for a recommended camera solution for :

1. 4-5 outdoor Cameras
  2. 2 indoor cameras, one to be used as a baby monitor (2 way sound for that Cam)
  3. Remote connectivity a must
  4. Some type of video recording/storage
  5. I can run cat 5 to all camera locations if needed
  6. viewing cameras from inside of Vera would be a bonus
  7. would like for cameras to at least be able to trigger vera scenes (turn on light etc.)
  8. Would like Alerts from Cameras or through VERA
  9. Any interplay with DSC security?

Basically I am wondering should I go with a NVR based system such as http://www.lorextechnology.com/Security-NVR/HD-Security-NVR-with-1080p-Recording-and-FLIR-Cloud-Connectivity/LNR100.p

Or what would the downside be to going with just IP cameras and software?

I also have RTI control for my A/V, however I have not upgraded to an XP controller.

If it was your system what is the ideal build?
Thanks for your thoughts:[/quote]

We went with a dedicated NVR system and then have a PC running blue iris as a back-up/feed into vera. It’s probably overkill, but I wanted to be able to see the cameras in vera and have access to motion sensors, etc…, but still have the reliability of a dedicated system. All of our critical cameras are hardwired. We started with a couple of foscams, but they were just so buggy we decided to bite the bullet and move to a hard wired solution.

We’ll be adding some ip cams in non-critical places, likely just to the blue iris part of the system.

Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I
&
Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I

3MP POE outdoor cameras have been my favorite and can be found for 90.00.

I run Blueiris and love it as long as you have a computer powerful enough to run it. I run a Plex Media Server and a few other things on one computer.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:3, topic:185147”]Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I
&
Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I

3MP POE outdoor cameras have been my favorite and can be found for 90.00.

I run Blueiris and love it as long as you have a computer powerful enough to run it. I run a Plex Media Server and a few other things on one computer.[/quote]

+1 on this. Motion sensing works great as well.

Thanks and I Like the idea of running a dedicated NVR with the pc as a feed in, and am under the same impression about critical cams and hard wiring so Thankyou for verifying that. I have a PLEX setup as well (even bought the whole lifetime pass etc.), but to be quite candid we never use it. Was hoping to dump some of the monthly cable company bills by using it, but the wife was against that so ended up cutting out all the DVR and Receiver costs by just having 1 DVR and 1 box run through a matrix switch to the tv locations.

That matrix switch is what will make getting the camera feeds on each tv so easy.

Good to know about the Hikvision Cams I have seen them installed but have not used or attest to life expectancy.