IOS Alexa App as Geo-fence with mulit switch and pleg

Has anyone used the new Alexa routine trigger based upon location services? You can now have a routine trigger when device ‘Arrive or Leave’. Says it was launched back in September, but I just happened on it.

I’m going to setup a scene to set multi switch values for my all of my family’s phones. I already have PLEG conditions to work with geofence from Veramate and ping sensor; but mixed results.

Will update results after a few days of trial… anyone else already doing this?

I’ll write up more on how I do it if the results are promising.

Paul

Have you tried Vera’s geofencing feature?

I have. My use case is more complex as I use schedules, door last trip times and last motion with ping and geo-fence. Tripping the multiswitch is one trigger for my condition. Pleg enables the logic complexity, but I have not found a reliable geo-fence that does not drain battery. I’ve used IPhone locator and Veramate.

So far, a test of 1, the Alexa geo-fence worked perfect. Going to monitor battery usage over time.

pc

After more than 3 weeks, happy to report that the Alexa app as a geofence scene trigger is working well. I have a Vera scene that flips a multi-switch on/of when triggered by the Alexa Arrive/Leave routine. I then have pleg logic combined with other multi switch setting, ping sensor, mode status and schedules to automate if someone is home. If people want details, I’ll write them up… if no one cares… then oh hum.

1 observation. When the Alexa IOS app is updated, it requires you to re log-in. This stops the routine from functioning. This seems to be about once per week… which is an annoyance. I will log with amazon.

I suspect that’s rather more reliable than my experience of Vera geofencing. May well go have a look

Cheers

C

Hmm, this may be US only. Can you confirm you’re in the US?

Cheers

C

Do you need this car based device for Amazon Alexa geofencing to work?

[quote=“Catman, post:7, topic:200220”]Hmm, this may be US only. Can you confirm you’re in the US?

Cheers

C[/quote]

I am in US. They launched this in Sept.

[quote=“Jamr, post:8, topic:200220”]Do you need this car based device for Amazon Alexa geofencing to work?
https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-alexa-location-based-routines-will-turn-your-lights-on-as-soon-as-you-get-home/[/quote]

No, just the IOS app. You have to create the scene in Vera first, sync it to alexa, then create a new routine on the device that will drive the location.

I’ll do a write up soon. It is much more stable than Vera, Iphone Locator and Veramate…

[quote=“paulcusick3, post:10, topic:200220”][quote=“Jamr, post:8, topic:200220”]Do you need this car based device for Amazon Alexa geofencing to work?
https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-alexa-location-based-routines-will-turn-your-lights-on-as-soon-as-you-get-home/[/quote]

No, just the IOS app. You have to create the scene in Vera first, sync it to alexa, then create a new routine on the device that will drive the location.

I’ll do a write up soon. It is much more stable than Vera, Iphone Locator and Veramate…[/quote]

Please do. I am interested to see this working.