Invalid Notifications from Trane Tstat

I have a couple of Trane thermostats and have notifications set on them to alert me when the ambient temperature goes above 80 degrees, or below 65 degrees. Periodically, I get notifications that the temperature was out of range (today I got a message that the temp was 149 degrees). When this happens, the temp on the thermostat is always within the correct range (never what the notification says). Has anyone else with Trane stats had a similar problem?

The other issue is that when the notification is sent, I usually get two, less than a minute apart.

not specific to the trane but I’ve had errant temps (way out of true range as in your case) send me alerts from my HSM-100’s a few times over a couple years and usually by the time I can log in and check it is normal. Maybe the transmission gets corrupted somehow on rare occasions. This has only been maybe 3 times in past 2 years

[quote=“tlueker, post:1, topic:171123”]I have a couple of Trane thermostats and have notifications set on them to alert me when the ambient temperature goes above 80 degrees, or below 65 degrees. Periodically, I get notifications that the temperature was out of range (today I got a message that the temp was 149 degrees). When this happens, the temp on the thermostat is always within the correct range (never what the notification says). Has anyone else with Trane stats had a similar problem?

The other issue is that when the notification is sent, I usually get two, less than a minute apart.[/quote]

Can you tell me when did you received such an invalid notification so we can do some investigation on the logs from server? An email to mirela at micasaverde dot com with your unit serial number would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mirela

tlueker and mcvmirela:

Any new findings on these false readings? I recently purchased and installed a single Trane Remote Energy Management thermostat (TZEMT043AB32MAA) which I have linked to my VeraLite. Though I am very new to Z-wave, I had the thermostat professionally installed by an electrician (I needed a new thermostat wire installed anyway to use the new t-stat) so I could be sure it was put in correctly. The new t-stat works flawlessly, though like tlueker, I am getting false alerts.

I have two notifications set: one when the temperature drops below 55 degrees, and one when the temperature rises above 85 degrees. For the first few days of operation, the two set-points worked fine in that I did not receive any erroneous readings. However, for the past several days, I’ve received false readings for both set-points, sometimes getting two per day. Today however, I did not receive any false readings, which hasn’t happened since the false alerts started.

Mirela, is there any information you could provide me with, or that I could send to you to help me try to solve this problem? I like the alert set-points because it doesn’t require me to constantly monitor the temp in my home, as I’d just be alerted if I could trust the set-points properly. Thanks.

I have two notifications set: Too Hot when the temp goes above 80, and Too Cold when the temp falls below 65.

On May 5 I got a Too Hot (153 degrees) and on May 25 I got a Too Cold (16 degrees) notice at 10:25 AM and a Too Hot (81 degrees) at 12:09 PM.

So YES, the issue still exists with no resolution from my end. :frowning:

got a reading from a HM-TS001 the other day of 0 deg when it was about 70 (which sent me an alert) which persisted until the next update (15 min in this case) then went back to normal, I assume there is the occasional (rare) corrupted transmission?
PS: I have the trane as well but havn’t noticed errant readings from it yet, although I probably wouldn’t know if I did since I have no alerts setup for it

I have a Trane as well. Hooked up to a Vera2 with UI5. Notification set for 80 (hot) and 65(cold)

I’ve been getting notifications but they are all valid temps of eg 81, or 80 degrees. Mostly early afternoon. Confirming I need my attic re-insulated. :slight_smile: I check the thermostat (via mios.com) when I get the notifications and the temp is what the alert states it is.

In case it helpe, here’s the model/version/zwave info
model TZEMT400AB32
Version 01.00.13
ZVER 02.00.3

[quote=“BOFH, post:7, topic:171123”]In case it helpe, here’s the model/version/zwave info
model TZEMT400AB32
Version 01.00.13
ZVER 02.00.3[/quote]

Thanks for posting, my info is different:
model: TZEMT400BB32
Version 01.01.40
ZVER 02.00.9

Maybe if I could flash mine back to your settings, my problem would go away.

My false notifications definitely occur when the system switches on. I run them in Auto mode on ESM with temp set points of 65 for heat and 80 for cool (Same as my notifications). Since the Tstat seems to always indicate the right temp when I physically go inspect after one of the false notifications, I’m thinking it is a polling issue for Vera, not the Tstat itself, but maybe I’m wrong…

My settings are 67(heat) and 77(cool) with notifications set to 65 and 80 respectively.

I’m wondering what Trane versions others with this notification issue are running and what versions those who have no problems are running.

I’ll add another data point. Vera2, UI4. I am also getting false reading notifications on 2 of my Trane T-stats. I have set the notifications for temps below 55 deg, and quite often receive notifications that the temps are at 0 deg. In reality, they are nowhere near 0 deg, and usually above the trigger point when it sends the notification.

It is inconsistent in that it doesn’t happen every hour, or every day, etc… I wish I could state a pattern, but can’t, sorry.

Any ideas for a fix would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

There is a Mantis for this: http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=2165
The issue is with the thermostats, they report the wrong temperature. We could work around this by checking how much the new temperature differs from the current one and polling the thermostat again, but we haven’t received any reports of this happening in months so we haven’t implemented the workaround.

Even though it is believed to be a problem in the thermostat, the bug report doesn’t mention this is Trane (or some other brand) specific. Is it?

Just to update my issue: Perhaps it’s only because I haven’t seen drastic temperature fluctuations recently, but I haven’t gotten any invalid notifications from my Trane thermostat in about a week and a half now. The thermostat has notified me correctly when the temperature reaches 85 degrees (an annoyance caused by direct sunlight through one of my skylights which I’ll have to take care). Recently, everything has been working as it should.

Just in case one might have missed it the first 2 times, lol, I will reiterate that I believe it is not Trane or even thermostat specific as I have the same phenomenon with other temp sensing devices

This issue is not specific to the Trane thermostats.

Daniel investigated this issue and notice that this happens after a poll. The device sends 2 messages, the first with the wrong value and the seconds with the correct value. He told Aaron about his findings and Aaron said that it’s a device issue and proposed the solution from the Mantis. That’s all I know so far.

[quote=“mcvflorin, post:15, topic:171123”]This issue is not specific to the Trane thermostats.

Daniel investigated this issue and notice that this happens after a poll. The device sends 2 messages, the first with the wrong value and the seconds with the correct value. He told Aaron about his findings and Aaron said that it’s a device issue and proposed the solution from the Mantis. That’s all I know so far.[/quote]

So why not just dump the first response?.. Seems better than looking at the delta and making a judgement call…

Thanks for confirming. Wow. I wonder what the conditions are that trigger this behavior, as it doesn’t sound this happens on every poll.

It certainly doesn’t happen every poll. This has happened to me, but it is infrequent; it has been a few months since the last occurrence. I am pretty sure this happened to me a few times when I was running UI4, but I can’t be sure now.

Thanks for confirming. Wow. I wonder what the conditions are that trigger this behavior, as it doesn’t sound this happens on every poll.[/quote]

got a reading of 410 deg a day ago, next poll was normal, on the device I have notification setup on I get obviously errant reading a few times a year with wakeup set to 15 min. Pretty rare but it is repetative

Seems to be pretty rare indeed: 13286 polls later, I haven’t hit it. (Bench test with a Trane on a Vera 2; 1 minute poll time. )