Introduction to VeraMate [Feat. GeoFencing/iBeacons/Voice Control/Watch & more]

So, If my iPhone goes out of range of the iBeacon, will it untrigger the scene that it is assigned to? I want to use iBeacons to detect if I am home or not, and act accordingly.

So, If my iPhone goes out of range of the iBeacon, will it untrigger the scene that it is assigned to? I want to use iBeacons to detect if I am home or not, and act accordingly.[/quote]

No - there isn’t a concept of “untriggering” a scene in Vera. This would have to flip a switch, which in turn could trigger a scene, or, specify 2 different scenes to trigger entering and exiting the iBeacon range.

This could be a little tricky though depending on the size/layout of your flat. If VeraMate thinks you are out of range when in reality the signal is just momentarily too weak, it might think you’re out. I’ll be looking to enhance this in future versions to perhaps put a minimum wait time etc, although this could be done now (outside VeraMate) by installing a timer plugin that starts counting down, and is cancelled when it comes back in range.

I recently upgraded from the free version to the paid version and I find the voice commands a funny thing to use. It’s a bit unfortunate that the app needs to be running to capture the voice commands.

Any change it will be possible to integrate veramate with homekit, so it will be possible to use Siri? It’s possible to activate Siri in a always listening mode when it’s plugged in and that will be awesome for my situation :slight_smile:

I’ve also found a bug when a Geofence is set for a scene that no longer exist or the name has been changed in UI7. Vera still trying to trigger the scene when condition has been met and I didn’t find it possible to delete the geofence without adding a scene back with the same name. This could be solved by having a list activated geofence triggers so it can be deleted easier.

[quote=“East, post:23, topic:183724”]I recently upgraded from the free version to the paid version and I find the voice commands a funny thing to use. It’s a bit unfortunate that the app needs to be running to capture the voice commands.

Any change it will be possible to integrate veramate with homekit, so it will be possible to use Siri? It’s possible to activate Siri in a always listening mode when it’s plugged in and that will be awesome for my situation :)[/quote]

Thanks for the support :slight_smile: It’s extremely unfortunate the app needs to be open, but this is Apple restricting dev access. HomeKit sounds like a great idea in essence, except it requires hardware support to be able to implement it. This means Vera or the zwave devices need to support it first. (I’m still investigating whether there are ways around this, but I haven’t found anything yet).

Ok that’s a new bug. I will look to get it fixed. (Changes to the UI are also planned to make this all a bit easier).

Sometime VeraMate config save/restore for example Dropbox? 8)

One of the next top items on the dev list :slight_smile:

in the meantime some ideas, how can i restore the backup setting to other iphone/ipad?
:wink:

[quote=“slajgaj, post:27, topic:183724”]in the meantime some ideas, how can i restore the backup setting to other iphone/ipad?
;)[/quote]

… Unfortunately, there isn’t :frowning: The configuration is stored in the apple setting store, which means it can’t easily be changed outside of the app. There’s a possibility of transferring the config backup file over to the other app, but that would require file access to the iPhone etc, and I haven’t looked into whether it’d work at all.

Pressed and hold the scene button for 2 seconds as per instructions, they wiggle, then tap once and press “geofence”. After that, it shows that all the scenes have check marks for both my wife’s and my iPhones. (I guess by default). This means that all the scenes are activated either on entry or exit right? So I pressed the check marks and replace with an “x” mark for both our iPhone. still when either of us exit/enter the fence, some scenes are still triggered; arming the sensors, turning on lights during the day even though I have included the luup code " return luup.is_night():"This has been going on for over a week now and I have been trying my best to fix it but to no avail. Can someone help me out and tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

The UI might be a little confusing (there is work on my dev list for this) - the tick or cross specify what will happen when you press it. EG, if you’re seeing an X then the scene is activated (pressing the X will disable it). The description on the map will tell you if it’s enabled or not.

As for the luup.is_night(), you could try asking on the programming board if noone knows. I’ve tried using that in the past as well, but never investigated where it actually gets the configuration for as to whether it’s night or not - so I replaced that with triggers based on specific times. You also need to make sure the LUUP is not on a trigger/schedule (as that won’t be run via a GeoFence activation).

The UI might be a little confusing (there is work on my dev list for this) - the tick or cross specify what will happen when you press it. EG, if you’re seeing an X then the scene is activated (pressing the X will disable it). The description on the map will tell you if it’s enabled or not.

As for the luup.is_night(), you could try asking on the programming board if noone knows. I’ve tried using that in the past as well, but never investigated where it actually gets the configuration for as to whether it’s night or not - so I replaced that with triggers based on specific times. You also need to make sure the LUUP is not on a trigger/schedule (as that won’t be run via a GeoFence activation).[/quote]

thanks for your response Veramate. i had it backwards; i always thought that the checkmark means the scene is activated on entry/exit. yes the luup.is_night() is on a trigger so that when we are away and one of the window or door is forced open while the sensor is armed, lights will turn on but only at dark not during the daytime. i still have to learn how to trigger the buttons in multiswitch through PLEG and geofence. anyway you pointed my mistake. thanks.

@veramate

I just purchased your app for my wife’s iPhone. I like it so far. I need to be able to make the geofence MUCH larger (~7 miles) for it to be of any use for me. Is that some way to do that? It seems like I am limited to about 1 mile right now.

Glad you like it :slight_smile: I’ve been meaning to increase the max - I’ll increase the max range in the 8.11 release. I can see it being needed only in exceptional cases (from the norm), so at the moment it’s not possible - the only way to add this is to have multiple fences around the area (perhaps on entry roads etc), that trigger scenes.

Glad you like it :slight_smile: I’ve been meaning to increase the max - I’ll increase the max range in the 8.11 release. I can see it being needed only in exceptional cases (from the norm), so at the moment it’s not possible - the only way to add this is to have multiple fences around the area (perhaps on entry roads etc), that trigger scenes.[/quote]

I would really appreciate it. Do you know when you anticipate the release? I thought about doing the multiple-fence setup but I can envision too many scenarios where that can get really complicated (purely based on where my house is located). If that would be the only option, I could probably hash it out, it would just be much easier with a single larger geofence. The app I used on my Android allows this and it works great.

8.10 is waiting to be released with Apple which could be released early/mid next week. (However based on history around an Apple event, it can even take longer - sure enough, even now most services with Apple are down !). Which means it’d be likely a min of 2 weeks from now. [size=8pt]The joy of working with Apple.[/size]

As for the luup.is_night(), you could try asking on the programming board if noone knows. I’ve tried using that in the past as well, but never investigated where it actually gets the configuration for as to whether it’s night or not - so I replaced that with triggers based on specific times. You also need to make sure the LUUP is not on a trigger/schedule (as that won’t be run via a GeoFence activation).[/quote]

hi Veramate, can you help me out here. i already linked my wife’s iphone geofence to the attached scene so that when she exits the fence, button 2 of the multiswitch will turn off which in turn will activate some PLEG action to arm sensors (if we both leave). when i test the scene by clicking the “play” arrow, it works. but she left an hour ago and button 2 of the multiswitch is still on. thanks for your time. i inserted a lua code as per the attached picture.

That attached scene is activated on a trigger, correct? What scene is hooked up to VeraMate’s GeoFence, and are you sure the scene in VeraMate is set to be triggered on exit? (Perhaps send a VeraMate screenshot to confirm that?)

If you have scenes to turn on/off the multiswitch, and VeraMate is triggering them on an exit/entry, then the scenes that are set to trigger when the switch flips to on/off should fire… I couldn’t see a reason they wouldn’t, unless the GeoFence isn’t triggering properly (do you have the VeraMate notification the scene is being triggered by the fence)?

If you haven’t seen it, there is a bit more details (not using a multiswitch, but same premise), on the FAQ:
[url=http://www.veramate.com/faq/geofence#GeoFence-multi]VeraMate - FAQ - GeoFences

That attached scene is activated on a trigger, correct? What scene is hooked up to VeraMate’s GeoFence, and are you sure the scene in VeraMate is set to be triggered on exit? (Perhaps send a VeraMate screenshot to confirm that?)

If you have scenes to turn on/off the multiswitch, and VeraMate is triggering them on an exit/entry, then the scenes that are set to trigger when the switch flips to on/off should fire… I couldn’t see a reason they wouldn’t, unless the GeoFence isn’t triggering properly (do you have the VeraMate notification the scene is being triggered by the fence)?

If you haven’t seen it, there is a bit more details (not using a multiswitch, but same premise), on the FAQ:
[url=http://www.veramate.com/faq/geofence#GeoFence-multi]VeraMate - FAQ - GeoFences

thanks VeraMate. i did not touch anything but the wife left this morning and it worked. the multiswitch button assigned to her turned off upon her exit at the fence. it’s really behind my comprehension why it wasn’t working for 2 weeks and all of a sudden TODAY this morning…what’s going on. whatever is the reason, am just happy for now that it is working for the first time

I just started my new Z-Wave system so I’m in learn mode, looking at everything I can to see how I’m going to implement this new system. iPhone / iPad control is a key needed feature for me. I loaded the free version on my iPad and as others have commented the flashing buttons are confusing and it seems to have a long lag time. I’m also noticing that turning on/off my one installed switch with VeraMate is causing the switch itself to temporarily become un-reachable and causing an alarm in UI7.

Lastly, I’m confused with the versions and in-app purchases. What are the differences between the three non-free versions, Premium, iPad and No Adds. This is not explained at all anywhere I can find.

hi VeraMate, my geofence setup is not completely working; maybe you can clue me in what the problem is. let me start with just one of the problem for now. hopefully, this problem is related to the other ones and will resolve all of them (but i doubt it). here is the problem: when i am entering the fence, i get about 7 notifications in my iphone such as “activating scene xxxxxx” even if the scenes are not hooked up to VeraMate. you can see in the attached picture that the scene has a check mark not an “x”. worse, it is even notifying me that a scene is activated on my entry even if i have deleted that scene a long time ago.