You can install firmware using a Win7 x64 computer. I chose to use VMWare Player (free) and to download Microsoft’s Windows XP for browser testing package.
- Download VMWare Player (go to VMWare.com and create an account, then download the free VMWare Player application)
- Download Windows XP Browser Test virtual machine from here (http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools) ??? Modern.ie? Really?
- Import your shiny new XP virtual machine into the VMWare Player.
- Modify the properties of the XP virtual machine to include a new VMWare USB Controller. Once your XP virtual machine is running, VMWare will detect a newly plugged in HID-device (no, I do not have a stutter.
- Start your shiny new XP virtual machine + USB Controller
- Install your Intermatic upgrade software. Follow the instructions to upgrade the firmware.
- The upgrade process takes a few minutes to complete.
- Reset everything, exclude all devices, then re-include the PE653 and PE953 together.
- You’ll then see both devices in the Intermatic firmware upgrade program.
- The upgrade process takes a few minutes to complete. (seriously)
- Also, I didn’t have to “keep awake” the PE953 controller during the upgrade process despite the warning to keep it awake.