Intellibrite Led Control

This is my first post to this forum. I have browsed this forum since I purchased my Vera 2 back in 2011 and was able to set up everything with all the helpful info. here. I recently installed an Intellibrite color led pool light and I am trying to change the color modes through Vera.
The light is wired through an Aeon Micro Switch and I change the modes locally with a push button. The light requires the power to be cycled from off to on “x” amount of times to select color modes 1-12. Can anyone tell me how to set this up. I would like to use something similar to the MultiSwitch plugin to consolidate all of the color modes but there is not enough buttons on the MultiSwitch plugin. I will create a scene for each mode if I have to. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[quote=“delco80”]This is my first post to this forum. I have browsed this forum since I purchased my Vera 2 back in 2011 and was able to set up everything with all the helpful info. here. I recently installed an Intellibrite color led pool light and I am trying to change the color modes through Vera.
The light is wired through an Aeon Micro Switch and I change the modes locally with a push button. The light requires the power to be cycled from off to on “x” amount of times to select color modes 1-12. Can anyone tell me how to set this up. I would like to use something similar to the MultiSwitch plugin to consolidate all of the color modes but there is not enough buttons on the MultiSwitch plugin. I will create a scene for each mode if I have to. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

Also interested in this. Do you like the pool light? I’m trying to decide whether it’s worth the extra cost for color LED since my light needs to be replaced.

Things like this are hard to automate reliably. All you can do is pulse the switch the required number of times and hope that a cycle does not get missed.

The code below will pulse the switch (one second on and one second off) for the number of cycles set in the global variable poolLightPulses. If this variable is set to zero, it just turns the switch on. You could place this code in a scene’s LUUP tab and create multiple triggers each of which has one line in its Luup event to set the variable to the required number of pulses.

In Trigger Luup event:

poolLightPulses = 2

In Scene LUUP tab:

[code]local dID = 123 – Device ID of Pool Light
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”,“SetTarget”,{ newTargetValue=1 },dID)
if (poolLightPulses ~= nil) and (poolLightPulses > 0) then
luup.call_delay(“pulsePoolLight”,1,poolLightPulses)
end

function pulsePoolLight(nPulses)
local dIDP = 123 – Device ID of Pool Light
local nPulseC = tonumber(nPulses)
local status = luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”,“Status”,dIDP)
if status == “1” then
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”,“SetTarget”,{ newTargetValue=0 },dIDP)
else
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”,“SetTarget”,{ newTargetValue=1 },dIDP)
nPulseC = nPulseC - 1
end
if nPulseC > 0 then
luup.call_delay(“pulsePoolLight”,1,nPulseC)
end
end[/code]

You should set dID and dIDP to the device number of your switch.

I believe that this will only work if the light has been turned off for at least ten seconds. If you re-trigger the scene before it has finished the last sequence, you will get total confusion…

Thanks Rex, I will give that a try.

Donkey, the light is actually a Pentair Amerlite Led Bulb and lens. I posted that it was an Intellibrite because I thought people would be more familiar with that type of light. Both lights function the same. I am very satisfied with the Amerlite Bulb. My only complaint is that the red color doesn’t fill the whole pool. The blues and greens cover the entire pool area perfectly.

Rex the code works but takes way too long to execute. I tried this code, which is a lot faster but I don’t know how to change the number of pulses.
function setPoolLight(newValue)
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”, “SetTarget”, {newTargetValue = newValue}, 12)
end

local testLight = luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”, “Status”, 12)
if (testLight == “0”) then
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”, “SetTarget”, {newTargetValue = “1”}, 12)
end

luup.call_delay(“setPoolLight”, 1, “0”)
luup.call_delay(“setPoolLight”, 2, “1”)

For the question on “liking” the Ameribrite light bulb… Since I just added it two month ago the quick answer is “No - I am pretty disappointed”. As with almost all Pentair equipment I have, I do think it is due for a serious tech overhaul to come up to speed with today’s possibilities (this especially applies to the ScreenLogic system).

As background: I do a lot of holiday lighting and I have a large collection of RGB LED devices. On all of them I can freely set any color I want and the “white” produced by those lights is a true “white”. All those devices are about 2 years old and I was expecting similar capabilities.

The Ameribrite has a very odd construction and only a few LED’s, most of them seem to be single color LED’s. Especially the red is not bright enough Using the lens to determine wide or narrow is a nice touch (that is a plus). The Ameribrite is only able to create seven different colors and the build in patterns are rather lame. Overall it is also not very bright, even on the stronger colors like blue and green. Color mixing is a bit off and you can see the “source” colors throughout the pol, especially on the borders of the lighted area.

Using the "on/off switching to control the patterns makes it easy for compatibility but then lacks granularity in control.

Considering my experience I would not purchase the Ameribrite again but rather go for an aftermarket solution…

[quote=“viennaxmas, post:7, topic:181520”]For the question on “liking” the Ameribrite light bulb… Since I just added it two month ago the quick answer is “No - I am pretty disappointed”. As with almost all Pentair equipment I have, I do think it is due for a serious tech overhaul to come up to speed with today’s possibilities (this especially applies to the ScreenLogic system).

As background: I do a lot of holiday lighting and I have a large collection of RGB LED devices. On all of them I can freely set any color I want and the “white” produced by those lights is a true “white”. All those devices are about 2 years old and I was expecting similar capabilities.

The Ameribrite has a very odd construction and only a few LED’s, most of them seem to be single color LED’s. Especially the red is not bright enough Using the lens to determine wide or narrow is a nice touch (that is a plus). The Ameribrite is only able to create seven different colors and the build in patterns are rather lame. Overall it is also not very bright, even on the stronger colors like blue and green. Color mixing is a bit off and you can see the “source” colors throughout the pol, especially on the borders of the lighted area.

Using the "on/off switching to control the patterns makes it easy for compatibility but then lacks granularity in control.

Considering my experience I would not purchase the Ameribrite again but rather go for an aftermarket solution…[/quote]

Thank you for the replies. My pool shop is recommending the J&J ColorSplash 3G color changing pool light. [url=http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Color-Splash-Replacement-LPL-P1-RGB-120/dp/B0033BGRK0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1405148582&sr=8-6&keywords=colorsplash+light]http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Color-Splash-Replacement-LPL-P1-RGB-120/dp/B0033BGRK0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1405148582&sr=8-6&keywords=colorsplash+light[/url]
It seems the pool light housing is shot as well, which will need to be replaced in addition to the light itself. Looking like at least $600 plus labor. Are there any ways around this high cost??

[cliff notes: I’m trying to avoid walking around to the pool pump outside just to change the color/mode of the pool light]

Regarding automating it, I currently have one of those switches with the button that pushes to the side. My understanding is it will be easy to swap that out with a zwave switch, and I don’t think range will be a problem.

The problem I think I will have is that changing the color modes requires timing the on/off button press fairly precisely, i.e. wait 2 seconds and it changes just solid color, but wait 5 seconds and it changes color-changing scenes. So I don’t think a zwave scene schedule would have the time resolution necessary to do it without a button.

So either I setup a 3way switch system to run a physical switch to a more convenient location, i.e. inside the house by the backdoor, OR set up a remote zwave scene capable switch. I’m thinking that won’t work and only a hard wired 3way will work. Anybody out there with experience on this?