Input from those who use Vera / Z-Wave for Security

I originally posted this in the DSC Plugin section and felt I may have steered off-topic. So I am starting a new thread here… It was an Excellent thread by the way and will answer all of your DSC Alarm / Vera integration questions if you have any! [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13773.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13773.0.html[/url]

I’ve done a lot of searching and many of my questions have been answered thanks to the invaluable information on this forum.
Unfortunately, there are very few threads with little info regarding Vera only for Security. It may be because most use a dedicated system and is the route I may go as well.

This post is more to hear opinions and input from Vera users that use their system for security and don’t have a designated alarm system.

• How many times has your system failed?
  • Any things you are changing and why?
  • How reliable is your system?
  • What do you have on your set up?

I must admit, I am starting to explore the idea of an all z-wave security system and not have a dedicated alarm system. I understand it’s not as reliable and the last thing one would want is a false alarm you cannot turn off or unprotected during any downtime. Perhaps a hidden bypass switch to the siren in the event the network fails and you cannot disarm.

I could add a few more window/door z-wave sensors, z-wave motion sensors, wireless cameras and a siren/strobe to my Vera 3 network and run arm/disarm scenes from my kwikset deadbolt.
I could even get a couple of cheap mini tablets, mount them on the walls by the entrances, password protect them and they could serve as dedicated control panels.

I guess the question would be…If I had mini tablets to serve as a control panels, can I have a dedicated app running all the time like automator.app, homewave or sqconnect without logging out?
I would hate to walk in, type in password, launch app, wait for the app to connect, then disarm. By this time the alarm could be triggered. But then again, I could use the kwikset to trigger the disarm.

I would get backup power for my routers and vera of course. I would also get the lithium battery version of the z-wave sensors for extended battery life.
I just hear so much regarding reliability when it comes to z-wave for security. I wonder what steps could be taken to ensure the highest reliability rate?

So many options so many possibilities! =)

RS100 and RS200 devices, no false triggers…motion sensors on foscam, prone to false triggers, due to wind etc. no siren yet, use prowl on my cell for notifications, and it works well!

see http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16450.msg125874.html#msg125874

In principle Vera and Zwave sensors can work for security. I don’t buy arguments like “Vera is an automation system and DCS is alarm system, that’s why you should stick to DCS if you need an alarm system”. A wireless DCS alarm system is nothing more than a system that receives OOK signals with different IDs and messages and keeps track of them.

Having said that, Vera has few drawbacks.

1- Z-wave sensors have shorter range compared to alarm systems sensors
2- For large number of sensors, the Vera solution might become more expensive because ZWave sensors are more expensive
3- Z-Wave sensors have shorter battery life
4- It is easier to Jam Zwave systems compared to wireless alarm systems and Vera has no mechanism to detect it.
5- Vera and Zwave system is more complex than a 433MHz alarm system, and the chance of them malfunctioning is higher
6- Good alarm systems check the heath of their sensors periodically. If a sensor is deactivated by an intruder, the alarm system gets activated. You need to implement this feature in Vera. This is one the most important features of an Alarm System.

I checked DCS systems. They are highly over pierced. You need to pay $300-$400 just to start and be able to install your sensors and go online. Not to mention that pre-historic keypad and its bizarre key combinations. I think what DCS sells as control panel, keypad, receiver. etc. for $300+, can all be nicely implemented in a $50 device.

(2)(4)(5) and (6) are the major concerns if you really want to protect your home.

Great info.

I ended up purchasing the DSC system today. However, this thread should serve well for those who are searching and interested in the pros/cons of a Vera based security system vs a dedicated alarm system.
I think a Vera based system is doable for a smaller home/apt, but since my home is well over 3000+sqft with 5 bedrooms, several entry points and tons of windows, I feel a dedicated system would work best.

I ended up getting the DSC 1864 with a PTK5507 Touchscreen panel for ease of use for the wife.

@secret agent, I think you made the right choice. I have both and integrated my DSC system into Vera using the EVL-3 board and I must say I wish I had more DSC sensors around the house since they are cheaper, more reliable and have instant status update.

[quote=“persimmonx, post:4, topic:178195”]Having said that, Vera has few drawbacks.

1- Z-wave sensors have shorter range compared to alarm systems sensors
2- For large number of sensors, the Vera solution might become more expensive because ZWave sensors are more expensive
3- Z-Wave sensors have shorter battery life
4- It is easier to Jam Zwave systems compared to wireless alarm systems and Vera has no mechanism to detect it.
5- Vera and Zwave system is more complex than a 433MHz alarm system, and the chance of them malfunctioning is higher
6- Good alarm systems check the heath of their sensors periodically. If a sensor is deactivated by an intruder, the alarm system gets activated. You need to implement this feature in Vera. This is one the most important features of an Alarm System.[/quote]

That’s more than a few drawbacks :slight_smile:

Battery life and sensor reliability were the deal breakers for me, and since spending the few hundred bucks or so on the DSC system, I haven’t looked back!

If anyone can live with motion sensors going through batteries in a month, and them failing after heals etc, then they are much more patient than me.

Aside from the initial 300 buck investment, depending on the qty of sensors you want to use, it’s likely cheaper in the long run to not use Zwave.

Yes fitting an alarm and learning to program takes some effort, but if you don’t mind doing this, it’s a no brainer.