Initial setup for security

Hi

I’ve been looking at various home automation systems for some time and have settled on Vera for a number of reasons. I’d like to initially get started with a security setup and could use some advise.

My plan is to get a VeraEdge controller, some wifi night vision cameras and a simple control system to activate/deactivate the system to help secure a property.

Could anyone recommend some good cameras that meet some of all of these?

[ol][li]Wifi[/li]
[li]Colour[/li]
[li]HD[/li]
[li]Battery operated (really nice to have but not essential at the end of the day)[/li][/ol]

Thanks

WiFi and HD, especially cameras in the 3mp saturate your wifi network and performance of the video stream will be less than stellar. Finding a camera that runs on battery will be almost impossible. Most recommend cameras that can be hard wired via network cable or even use poe (power over ethernet).

• Garrett

[quote=“Cashflow, post:1, topic:186945”]Hi

I’ve been looking at various home automation systems for some time and have settled on Vera for a number of reasons. I’d like to initially get started with a security setup and could use some advise.

My plan is to get a VeraEdge controller, some wifi night vision cameras and a simple control system to activate/deactivate the system to help secure a property.

Could anyone recommend some good cameras that meet some of all of these?

[ol][li]Wifi[/li]
[li]Colour[/li]
[li]HD[/li]
[li]Battery operated (really nice to have but not essential at the end of the day)[/li][/ol]

Thanks[/quote]

Hi–

I have struggled with selecting the vast variety of options in video cameras. I have tried several HD wifi cameras with marginal results. As a result I have been using wired, HD cameras using Power Over Ethernet. That way I only have to run a RJ45 cable to provide the necessary bandwidth as well as power. To do this however, you need a POE enabled router. It has worked really well.

Don

Thanks for the input guys. I was afraid the answer would be to hard wire in the cameras although I can see why.

The aim is to get it next month and see what I can do. I’ve read somewhere that I can run scripts and integrate it with an android app called Tasker for more flexibility, happy days.!