IFTTT? In the Cloud? Can it be Local?

It seems that all two threads in the IFTTT Subforum are locked. Why? Is this a forbidden discussion?

I see it says that IFTTT is cloud based. Why cannot the Boolean Logic remain right on the Vera itself and not need to call on the internet to perform logical decisions?

IFTTT mostly just allows one to connect many different services together through the internet. IFTTT is just “If this, then that”, there is no AND, OR, etc. right now. It looks like some operators may be coming soon natively to Vera. Until then, there’s PLEG or lua or combination switches. The threads are probably locked until IFTTT integration is a real thing.

I’ve tried PLEG and had a hard time figuring it out. I need to sit down and learn lua because that seems the best thing for me to do for the most flexibility and for local control. I need to buy the book in my cart on amazon!

Pleg is not that bad once you sit down and start creating actual events. Just reading the ‘manual’ makes it look harder than it is. Just start simple for your first few events and get more adventurous later.

I think learning PLEG is much easier than learning LUA.

Is there a book or good guide on using it? I tried and failed so gave up…

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

This what I downloaded and used in the beginning: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,21603.0.html. But as Slartibartfast mentioned, start out playing with it and it will start to make sense. I have a test PLEG I experiment with working out the logic before putting in production.

Thanks for the link.

How do you do the test PLEG without it being in production? Do you have multiple controllers?

It’s vera everyone should have a few backups… ;D

But you don’t need a spare you can test with virtual devices or use actions that are only notifications. PLeg is much easier then LUA and usually the middle ground between full code and stock scenes.

Thanks for the link.

How do you do the test PLEG without it being in production? Do you have multiple controllers?[/quote]

The PLEG devices can be disabled. So when I am experimenting and running into a logic problem that upsets my system (or my wife), I just disable it until I can figure our the error of my ways.

I guess I’m going to have to try PLEG again. I have so many projects going on and so little time…

You used the word Boolean, you got PLEG.

Here’s a super short pleg breakdown.

Inputs are the data that gets used in the logic. There are 5 flavors: triggers (true/false), schedules (t/f) and device properties (numeric or string), counters (ordinal/time) and house modes (home/away/etc). Here is a way to tell when to use a trigger vs property : trigger on temp >85 =True vs property temp =92.

Inputs have a value and timestamps of when they became true/false or updated. So that find when the temp went above 85, use the #trigger. To find out the last time it was below 85 use !#trigger. To know when the temp was last updated you would use #property.

Conditions are complex true/false and have the Boolean logic. So if you want the AC to come on at 85, you would just need a “trigger”. If you want a condition to turn off the access after it drops below 85, use “!trigger”

If you want an alert if the temp has been above 85 for more than an hour the condition would be “trigger and (trigger; Now >60:00)”

Conditions can be used to start scenes. This let’s you do AND/OR when the UI doesn’t.

Thanks. I’ll look into it more when I get the time but I was having issues getting my logic all connected together last I checked and support or clear concise guides seemed to be lacking so I gave up on it altogether.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk