If you're tired of Vera this is your chance

HomeSeer is FINALLY 50% off. I was waiting like 3 months for this (since VeraPlus cam out and turned out to be a disaster). I finally bought my copy :slight_smile:

HomeSeer - So good they had to halve the price?

They’ve done this twice a year since the beginning of time. Once in November, once in Maybe. Year after year after year. It’s nothing new.

Homeseer looks interesting. Has anyone here left Homeseer to come to Vera? What are some of the downsides to Homeseer?

It’s been discussed extensively. Search the forums.

This is old news. Already posted here a day before you did. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know how Homeseer works, but from their website it looks like that’s 50% off software, but you also have to buy a controller separately, right?

I recently switched from 3 veras to homeseer in 2 of the 3 houses.

Homeseer can be bought in many ways.

You can buy the software and run it on your own hardware (PI or windows based pc)

Or you can buy a complete package of hardware and software together (from a pi, mini nuc sized pc to a full blown mini PC)

I used my MiniPC server that I was using for BlueIris and PLEX already in both houses, bought the software for 125.00 and a homeseer z-wave stick for 35.00. Install windows software usb stick driver and plugin usb stick and off you go. I setup in bios auto startup on power loss, have windows run homeseer on boot and turn off everything you don’t need for a sever (which for me was done already when I setup with computer for blueiris and plex). Homeseer uses very little resources and many people run it on 100.00 mini wintels like the pipo x7 or things slightly bigger like the BRIX or a NUC.
http://www.amazon.com/X7-Windows-Pocket-Computer-Bluetooth/dp/B00ZICF7US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462319886&sr=8-1&keywords=pipo+x7

Homeseer regularly runs 50% software in Nov. and May of every year for the last few years. They also run 25% off software several times in between and they have a 10.00 a year membership that gives you 10-15% off all their brand stuff and few bucks off other items they sale. This is not an uncommon or new software sale. They never run 25 or 50% off of the actual computers/controllers I’m sure due to not having the markup like they could with software they produce.

Just one thing. I bought the software at 50% off last night and it looks like they threw in their normally $10 annual membership too for free, which gives me 5-10% off on everything throughout the year.

Can someone clarify how the 3rd party plugin licencing works for Homeseer? Is it tied to your HS3 license or is it separate? If I buy HS3 for Windows and purchase plugins I need, and them later decide to switch to Linux installation (Raspberry Pi2/3 for example or purchase one of HS controllers) - I know that same HS3 license can be used, but can the same plugins can be reinstalled and re-licensed or will I need to purchase plugins over again? Are the plugins license tied to a specific hardware?

Looks like at a minimum I would need Vista Alarm plugin ($49.95), Imperihome plugin ($39.95), Amazon Echo plugin ($39.95), Blue Iris plugin ($39.95)… that’s $170 just for plugins alone. Was wondering if this is a one-time expense (kinda like buying an app from Google/Apple store) or migrating to a new platform would require re-purchase?

Thanks

[quote=“ykamenet, post:10, topic:192246”]Can someone clarify how the 3rd party plugin licencing works for Homeseer? Is it tied to your HS3 license or is it separate? If I buy HS3 for Windows and purchase plugins I need, and them later decide to switch to Linux installation (Raspberry Pi2/3 for example or purchase one of HS controllers) - I know that same HS3 license can be used, but can the same plugins can be reinstalled and re-licensed or will I need to purchase plugins over again? Are the plugins license tied to a specific hardware?

Looks like at a minimum I would need Vista Alarm plugin ($49.95), Imperihome plugin ($39.95), Amazon Echo plugin ($39.95), Blue Iris plugin ($39.95)… that’s $170 just for plugins alone. Was wondering if this is a one-time expense (kinda like buying an app from Google/Apple store) or migrating to a new platform would require re-purchase?

Thanks[/quote]

You questions would be better answered on their forum or even better call them at 603.471.2816 (they actually answer).

With that said you can transfer your plugins to another system twice with unlock codes or if you call homeseer you can give them a valid reason and they will grant you more unlock codes if justified. Plugins will only work on one system at a time (so running more then one requires more plugin purchase). HS3 linux and windows are different and require different purchases. If you start with a pi version of HS3 you can pay to upgrade but not directly use your license code on a windows version. The Pi version is limited to I think 5 plugins max which is usally ok for some but I was upgrading from VERA due to under powered and choose to skip past that entry level.

I have Blueiris but don’t use the plugin as it wasn’t needed for what I do but it’s a very nice plugin. I use http commands for virtual motions and changing my profiles same as I did with VERA. So you may or may not even need the plugin to accomplish your goals.

ECHO plugin is not if you own an echo. You better read that one, its for using your computer mic and speakers and amazon web server to make your computer into a ECHO if you don’t own one. HS3 has built in (free) amazon echo control if you own an echo.

Imperihome is a great plugin that I recommend and I have a GE caddx alarm which is free but yeah you gonna need the Vista plugin.

Plugins are much more complex then vera plugins. They add a ton of child devices and options that many only will help you if you us HS touch designer to utilize them.

Enjoy, the upgrade!

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I am not upgrading yet but exploring the possibility. I tried HS3 before and didn’t like some things which I think I mentioned before in other posts. Interfaces created with HS Touch were not stable for me and didn’t function as good as Imperihome which I run on several tablets as controllers. Now with Imperihome support with Homeseer, this issue which was a definite show-stopper for me before is resolved.

As far as licensing, I know for a fact that HS3 Windows license can in fact be used on Linux installation as well, officially. I am talking about the full HS3/HS3Pro version, not the Pi version (which does as you said restricts you to 5 pligins only probably to ensure good performance for low-end hardware). I did not know that Alexa/Echo integration is native, thank you for pointing this out - one less plugin I would need to buy if I switch.

The other big deal for me was that Vista alarm plugin did not support virtual zones like Vera plugin does. This is essential for getting sensors notifications when alarm is armed (in Stay mode for example). This is really a workaround for Vista/Ademco panels shortcoming, but it is essential to me and it works in Vera. I see that HS3 plugin has been updated since last time I tried it, so maybe support for it was added as well. If so, it would definitely be a big plus.

Disclaimer: my VeraEdge has been rock solid for the last few months and working great. I am not exploring switching because of stability or because “I am tired of Vera” as the thread title suggest, I just really liked how powerful the scene designer is in HS3 comparing to Vera and that’s what drives me towards it. If Vera would have a much powerful scenes/events design engine I would be happy with it.

No thanks. Thought about it last May, and then again last November, and I am still not convinced I would be happier there.

Of course there is always November 2016 if my planned upgrade from Vera3/UI5 to VeraPlus/UI7 doesn’t work out in the late summer/fall…

Homeseer can be pretty pricey when you add everything up (hardware + software + plugins). At the end of the day it’s going to be at least 2-3 times as much as a vera unless you go with one of the pi versions. But people seem to think it’s more stable or customizable. Personally, I don’t know - I wasn’t interested in it years ago when it ran on windows XP and the database was a Microsoft Access database :o.

However, I’m in need of a HA controller in a second location. So I’m really considering the HomeTroller Zee S2 since it’s on sale for $170. It looks like it’s a raspberry pi 2 ($50 inc. case) + HS3 Pi2 software ($75 on sale) + zwave radio ($40), which comes to $165 without the hassle of assembling and installing everything. I’ll have to investigate how well it integrates with Tasker (looks like another $40). So I don’t know. A Veralite is half that price and would easily handle the 10 - 20 devices at that location. On the other hand, I think I could throw OpenHAB on the Zee S2 if the homeseer software doesn’t work out. Decisions, decisions.

[quote=“virtus, post:14, topic:192246”]Homeseer can be pretty pricey when you add everything up (hardware + software + plugins). At the end of the day it’s going to be at least 2-3 times as much as a vera unless you go with one of the pi versions. But people seem to think it’s more stable or customizable. Personally, I don’t know - I wasn’t interested in it years ago when it ran on windows XP and the database was a Microsoft Access database :o.

However, I’m in need of a HA controller in a second location. So I’m really considering the HomeTroller Zee S2 since it’s on sale for $170. It looks like it’s a raspberry pi 2 ($50 inc. case) + HS3 Pi2 software ($75 on sale) + zwave radio ($40), which comes to $165 without the hassle of assembling and installing everything. I’ll have to investigate how well it integrates with Tasker (looks like another $40). So I don’t know. A Veralite is half that price and would easily handle the 10 - 20 devices at that location. On the other hand, I think I could throw OpenHAB on the Zee S2 if the homeseer software doesn’t work out. Decisions, decisions.[/quote]

It’s not cheaper then VERA to do it right that’s for sure. But in the last 3 years I have had to upgrade my vera from lite to edge to plus (which I then cancelled), so In the end it maybe close. But again Homeseer is not set out to be cheaper. I already had my computers running Blueiris and PLEX so hardware was not free but was not a new cost. Z-wave stick is 35.00 right now. On one of my houses I have that and the other I have 1 stick and 2 Z-nets which fixed all my range issues and allows my non instant status GE switches to be direct which makes them report instantly now.

I don’t think VERA’s cost has ever been an issue and certainly not a common complaint here on the board. So I would stick with what you have unless your looking for something better, not cheaper. I still have a small house running a Vera Lite just fine as it only has one door lock, thermostat and 10 switches with no logic.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:15, topic:192246”]…On one of my houses I have that and the other I have 1 stick and 2 Z-nets which fixed all my range issues and allows my non instant status GE switches to be direct which makes them report instantly now…[/quote]Can you clarify how this is configured? None of my switches are instant, so I am curious what do you mean by “direct” and how to configure this to make them report status instantly. Also, is it only HS3 thing or it can be configured in Vera as well? Thanks

Whatever you do, DO NOT downgrade (that’s right, downgrade) from Vera3/UI5 to VeraPlus/UI7. You will regret it!! I’ve been on HomeSeer for a while now, which is enormously, like 10,000 times, better than UI7 and VeraPlus, but sometimes I still miss the good old days on VeraLite and UI5. Everything used to work.

First this doesn’t work for all switches. GE switches if they are going direct (not to far away and having to bounce threw the mesh network) to the controller will act as if they do.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,25994.msg184182.html#msg184182

Homeseer Allows you to run one system with as many as you want z-wave antenna’s (controllers) as you want. Vera used to do something similer and it was called bridging. Buy 2 veras and put one in the detached garage (connected to the network via Ethernet cable) when they are bridged one could control all devices even the ones out of range in the far back work-shed or garage. Well ui5 that works OK and ui7 or edge and up that’s either impossible or very difficult you can search and see for yourself.

But the reason my GE switches now all work as if they have instant status is because no longer do my switches need to jump threw several devices to reach the z-wave controller (vera, Z-NET or USB Z-Wave Dongle) as I have 3 on the property now. I never had range issues until mid way threw ui7 on the EDGE and then routing went to crap and it was hit or miss if the further devices would work. I looked into bridging two edges then to help fix a detached workshop/garage. Wasn’t successful. I also have alot better control over heals, inclusion, repairs, loging, and much more with the z-wave network now then I did with VERA. Logging is no longer a tuff job requiring plugins, URL links, USB sticks. It’s a click of a drop down and everything is in a language that you do have to be a programmer to understand.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:15, topic:192246”]I don’t think VERA’s cost has ever been an issue and certainly not a common complaint here on the board. So I would stick with what you have unless your looking for something better, not cheaper. I still have a small house running a Vera Lite just fine as it only has one door lock, thermostat and 10 switches with no logic.[/quote]I think too many people forget the cost factor and that the Vera’s cost should be an issue. People expect a lot out of a lower-cost device and are impressed when a more expensive and more robust system works better. If they looked at the value of the hours spent tinkering and troubleshooting why a veralite is struggling with dozens of devices and plugins, most people would probably realize it’s cheaper to buy the more expensive system.

For the record, I use a vera lite for a modest system and it works great. I am fairly certain that it will start having issues if I add more devices, scenes, and plugins to it - but for now it’s just fine - especially for the $75 that I spent on it.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:18, topic:192246”]First this doesn’t work for all switches. GE switches if they are going direct (not to far away and having to bounce threw the mesh network) to the controller will act as if they do.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,25994.msg184182.html#msg184182

Homeseer Allows you to run one system with as many as you want z-wave antenna’s (controllers) as you want. Vera used to do something similer and it was called bridging. Buy 2 veras and put one in the detached garage (connected to the network via Ethernet cable) when they are bridged one could control all devices even the ones out of range in the far back work-shed or garage. Well ui5 that works OK and ui7 or edge and up that’s either impossible or very difficult you can search and see for yourself.

But the reason my GE switches now all work as if they have instant status is because no longer do my switches need to jump threw several devices to reach the z-wave controller (vera, Z-NET or USB Z-Wave Dongle) as I have 3 on the property now. I never had range issues until mid way threw ui7 on the EDGE and then routing went to crap and it was hit or miss if the further devices would work. I looked into bridging two edges then to help fix a detached workshop/garage. Wasn’t successful. I also have alot better control over heals, inclusion, repairs, loging, and much more with the z-wave network now then I did with VERA. Logging is no longer a tuff job requiring plugins, URL links, USB sticks. It’s a click of a drop down and everything is in a language that you do have to be a programmer to understand.[/quote]Thank you.