I migrated from a Vera 3 to a Plus completed. (2 problems)

OK. Let me start by saying I have a very stable network on my Vera 3, and been quite happy with it. I have a fair amount of devices in my network, including Schlage FE599 locks, and a pair of bridged Vera 3 units. I seem to have migrated over with almost no pain at all, and I would say it took me no longer than 10 minutes. As of right now with fast testing of locks and lights, everything seems to work just like it did but perhaps faster. Updates to follow.

First, the things I have checked.
Locks: Work, no issues from app or desktop login
Lights: no issues at all
Scenes: no issues at all
Triggers from Vera Plus to bridged Vera 3: No issues at all
Remote control App use (UPDATE: Veramate works, but screen layout is gone when switching to the new controller, no biggie)
VeraAlerts (Update: I do not know if i HAD to do this, but I bought a new key for the new unit. Quite frankly even if I did not have to I wanted to for Richard. Seems to work. SMS is fine over email)
VeraMate IOS push alerts. Working. Thought it was not working because all the battery powered items are not really working.
day/night plugin: No issues at all
Cameras: I have a bunch of outdoor IP Cameras by HIK Vision. I have three key ones in Vera to take screen shots on specific events, all work fine.
PLEG: All ok after some reconfig and update.

Working on issues:

Battery devices (motion, door/window/garage door): Are seen be the system, but seem to be non responsive.
Update: Zero luck on this. Seems like Motion, Door sensors, and Garage sensors are shown but really not working. I will continue and see what I can do

Schlage lock: Works from device (App on phone) pins do not trigger scenes or alerts.
Update: No luck bringing the locks over so far. Lock works fine, but just do not get pin status to the Vera plus.

Still to check.
basic day to day living of overall system.

Final Update: While it was nice that all of my switches moved over, and it will save me some time, the functioning but not really fully functioning devices, is a rough deal. I do not mind resetting all the battery powered sensors, but the locks are a bummer. I have loads of pin codes and conditional things setup for the specific codes. I think I might just pause this right here and use my Vera 3 as I was until I see what shakes out with Vera and firmware revisions. The directions bellow to try to move over will get you going. If it does not work for you, and you need to go back to your previous Vera after a controller shift you will need to reset the unit back to the factory defaults. Do a reset, and install your backup from before you migrated. If you were messing with a device and unpaired it from the new unit, this will have to be added back to your old Vera once it is back as your primary controller. Good luck!

Here is what I did. (note I am not a linux guy or a zwave luup expert by any means.

Follow these directions here:

http://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1840697-upgrade-from-ui7-on-veralite-or-vera-3

This will get your zwave network onto the new Vera Plus. After this step, you will need to create a local backup of your existing Vera. (in my case a Vera 3)
After you have this backup file, you will have to extract the .tar file into a directory. It seems Vera backup creation makes an unusable .tar file for me. I have a Mac handy so it was easy to do using terminal following this.

Compress files & folder in the Terminal Command Line in macOS Monterey NOTE: leave the .gz off after the .tar in the command. We just need a tar.

After you have the readable backup, go to your Vera plus and restore this backup. It says it will restart, but do a reboot of the entire box. My locks did not work until I did this.

That’s all I did, and from the fast tests I did. I can run scenes, lock and unlock my locks, turn lights on and off and everything else you would expect. I do not know what things are left to be discovered, but it was not bad to do at all after the .tar was fixed.

Good luck, but that is like all I know about what I did.

Chewy

Thanks for posting.

I’m assuming you went from UI7 on your Vera 3 to Vera Plus, and not directly from UI5 on Vera 3 to Vera Plus.

What, if any, of these plugins do you have, and are they working as expected (in the few hours since you’ve migrated ;D ):

[ul][li]PLEG[/li]
[li]Sonos[/li]
[li]MultiSwitch[/li]
[li]iPhone Detector[/li]
[li]Garage Door[/li]
[li]Day or Night (I don’t know if this is needed with UI7)[/li]
[li]AD2USB[/li]
[li]Virtual Motion Sensor[/li]
[li]DataYours[/li]
[li]UPnP Event Proxy[/li]
[li]Wunderground Weather[/li]
[li]Say the Weather[/li][/ul]

Thanks…

[quote=“DeltaNu1142, post:2, topic:191092”]8)

Thanks for posting.

I’m assuming you went from UI7 on your Vera 3 to Vera Plus, and not directly from UI5 on Vera 3 to Vera Plus.

What, if any, of these plugins do you have, and are they working as expected (in the few hours since you’ve migrated ;D ):

[ul][li]PLEG[/li]
[li]Sonos[/li]
[li]MultiSwitch[/li]
[li]iPhone Detector[/li]
[li]Garage Door[/li]
[li]AD2USB[/li]
[li]DataYours[/li]

Thanks…[/quote]

[ul][li]PLEG: Seems OK. Will know more after screwing around.[/li]
[li]Sonos: Tried it, don’t use it[/li]
[li]MultiSwitch: Yes[/li]
[li]iPhone Detector: don’t use it[/li]
[li]Garage Door: I use an open/closed sensor. See my post for updates on this[/li]
[li]Day or Night (I don’t know if this is needed with UI7): I do use it, and I did not test it. I will[/li]
[li]AD2USB: Don’t use it[/li]
[li]Virtual Motion Sensor: Don’t use it, but I do use real ones. See my post above like garage door sensors[/li]
[li]DataYours: Don’t use it[/li]
[li]UPnP Event Proxy: Don’t use it[/li]
[li]Wunderground Weather: Fine[/li]
[li]Say the Weather: Don’t use it[/li][/ul]

I should explain what I do with Vera.

I have two units, one in a house, one in a building 300FT away so they are bridged.
Stuff it does:
Specific pin codes alert of entry and trigger scenes based on conditions
Motion sensors in building and house
Day/night lighting scenes based on conditions and events
Driveway vehicle detection with a Dakota magnetic alert tied to the back of the Dakota unit with a door sensor with external contact connections (driveway lights on, building ext light full bright)
Stuff like that. Lots of devices, but not super slick.

First applause to you sir. Nice work.

You’re relatively new here, so it’s safe to assume you don’t know that a ‘smite’ is worth around six applauds… but I figured I’d play it safe.

I also just upgraded from a Vera 3 UI5 to VeraPlus. Followed the normal (vera Edge) instructions as mentioned above. I also have a MAC but did not have issues with the TAR file.

Main concern is with PLEG which I need to re-register (purchased new license key) but can’t get it to work. I can copy paste the new license key but nothing happens when I verify.

My Fibaro motion/light/temp sensors register partly. Temp, Lux register and work fine but Motion mentions “can’t detect device”

I have quite some plugins and most seem to work fine. Still need to check a lot.

UPDATE: I did not update all PLEG plugin parts. http://YourVeraIP:3480/data_request?id=update_plugin&Plugin=XXXX

…where XXXX is 3086 for PLEG Core, 3066 for PLEG Event Generator, 3018 for PLEG Timer Switch

PLEG is fine!

[quote=“DeltaNu1142, post:4, topic:191092”]First applause to you sir. Nice work.

You’re relatively new here, so it’s safe to assume you don’t know that a ‘smite’ is worth around six applauds… but I figured I’d play it safe.[/quote]

Funny stuff. I use the forum quite a lot when trying to sort out stuff. I just thought I would give back where I could. If people do not have the same results as me I do not know what to say, I can only post what I found to be the case for me. I really do not know a ton about this, but for not knowing much, I have it working very well for me. I will be happy to share the things I find in moving over to the plus.

Chewy

PS: It does seem super responsive so far.

[quote=“mtruppi, post:1, topic:191092”]Working on issues:
Battery devices (motion, door/window/garage door): Are seen be the system, but seem to be non responsive. (Update: Zero luck on this. Seems like Motion, Door sensors, and Garage sensors are shown but really not working. I will continue and see what I can do)[/quote]

I am having the same problem as you described. I upgraded from edge to plus and everything seemed to go smoothly until I tried walking into the living room and noticed none of my pleg scenes ran that were tied to the motion sensor. It seems all my motion sensors, door sensors, and tilt sensors show as working on Vera, but they don’t report the correct status. It also seems that my scene controls don’t work anymore either. They say they’re hooked up to the right scene, but when you press the buttons, they don’t run.

I tried configuring the nodes and healing the z-wave network (reseting the chip), but neither of those solutions seemed to work. My last resort is to exclude and re-add all the devices, however, I’m hoping someone else has a better solution. I’ll report back if I can figure this out. I also opened a ticket with MCV. Maybe they’ll have some idea of what’s going on.

Thanks for posting.

[ul][li]PLEG[/li]
[li]Sonos[/li]
[li]MultiSwitch[/li]
[li]iPhone Detector[/li]
[li]Garage Door[/li]
[li]AD2USB[/li]
[li]DataYours[/li]

Thanks…[/quote]

As for the garage Door plugin, I couldn’t get it to work due to the tilt sensor not working correctly.

[quote=“endingstrife, post:7, topic:191092”][quote=“mtruppi, post:1, topic:191092”]Working on issues:
Battery devices (motion, door/window/garage door): Are seen be the system, but seem to be non responsive. (Update: Zero luck on this. Seems like Motion, Door sensors, and Garage sensors are shown but really not working. I will continue and see what I can do)[/quote]

I am having the same problem as you described. I upgraded from edge to plus and everything seemed to go smoothly until I tried walking into the living room and noticed none of my pleg scenes ran that were tied to the motion sensor. It seems all my motion sensors, door sensors, and tilt sensors show as working on Vera, but they don’t report the correct status. It also seems that my scene controls don’t work anymore either. They say they’re hooked up to the right scene, but when you press the buttons, they don’t run.

I tried configuring the nodes and healing the z-wave network (reseting the chip), but neither of those solutions seemed to work. My last resort is to exclude and re-add all the devices, however, I’m hoping someone else has a better solution. I’ll report back if I can figure this out. I also opened a ticket with MCV. Maybe they’ll have some idea of what’s going on.

Thanks for posting.

[ul][li]PLEG[/li]
[li]Sonos[/li]
[li]MultiSwitch[/li]
[li]iPhone Detector[/li]
[li]Garage Door[/li]
[li]AD2USB[/li]
[li]DataYours[/li]

Thanks…[/quote]

As for the garage Door plugin, I couldn’t get it to work due to the tilt sensor not working correctly.[/quote]

Worked on this, and tried just about everything I can think of. I did remove and pair again a battery powered sensor and it does work fine after being paired with the plus. So it’s not that it cannot work with the sensors, it’s that it cannot work from the backup.

I’m still having significant issues. All (beside some battery powered devices) worked fine before I went to bed but this morning the VeraPlus is in a constant state of Reboot…Ticket files. Waiting for support.

So far my migration from Vera3 to VeraPlus is okay… I am leaving the Vera3 slaved for the time being. We’ll see what a few hours do to both as I have seen weird things happen following a 24 hour test…

Chuck

UPDATE:
Vera3 is powered off and VeraPlus is flying solo. It isn’t as smooth of a transition as I had hoped for…

After I migrated from my Vera3 with current UI7 firmware per http://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/articles/1840697-upgrade-from-ui7-on-veralite-or-vera-3 and I am having issues with my battery powered sensors. I dread involving Tech Support because most of the time once they meddle with my gateway I have to rebuild my entire network and it is pretty big… so I avoid that at all cost.

Still, looks like Vera will eat up my Saturday until I figure this one out… Anyone who has figured it out please chime in!

You may want to try excluding one of the sensors and then re-including it to see if that resolves anything.

I’m at work today and have a busy Sunday morning but my Vera Plus is in and I have a NIB MonoPrice/Vision PIR sensor. I’ll get the Plus setup and see what happens if I include that one Sunday afternoon.

I cleared the z-wave chip. Reloaded backup with z-wave… now no faults but battery devices unresponsive.

Just want to add another upgrade experience in case it can help anyone.

Have a Vera 3 “Test system” with just a few devices that I upgraded to Vera Plus.
following the instructions worked with only one glitch
http://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/articles/1840697-upgrade-from-ui7-on-veralite-or-vera-3

After I sent the “Controller Shift” command on the Vera3, I selected the Vera Plus from the link at the top right of the welcome page. I think that took my V3 Out of “Send” mode, so when I did the “Controller Shift” on the V+, it timed out with no data. I pushed the Z-Wave button on the V3 and tried again, and it received data, I completed the steps but then found it had not changed the V+ to primary and V3 to secondary controller. (I discovered that when I couldn’t add new devices to the V+)

Once I did those 2 steps again with each controller open on separate browser pages, it worked correctly.

One weird thing happened overnight. I have 1 Aeon 6 in 1 Multisensor and 1 Home Seer HSM-100 (aka Express Controls EZMotion+) motion sensors on the system. Both are running on AC adapters instead of batteries. Last night, both of those sensors and all their child devices were renamed back to their original default names. Not a big deal, both seem to work correctly, but weird. (They still show on the secondary Vera3 box with the names I had assigned months ago)

BATTERY DEVICE:
This morning I added a Schlage DWZAVE1 Door/Window sensor (aka EchoLink ECDW) running on batteries. The add went smoothly, and I wrote 2 quick scenes just to turn a light on and off, and the scenes work too. It was added as a new device and not transfered from my old system. but it seems to work fine on battery.

Both the 6 in 1 and HSM Motion sensors had created “ghost” devices on the V3, and they came over to the V+. I’m going to remove those, and re-add to see if the “ghost” issue is cured. I’ll also try both on batteries to see if they work and report back.

Well, that didn’t go as planned!

I managed to break it. Added the Aeon 6 in 1 motion sensor, and was renaming one of the child devices, and got a message something like “failed while updating - ended with an error.” I can’t remember exactly. All the lights went out on the Vera Plus and it did a reboot. But now just the power light, Internet, Wi-Fi and Service lights go green. The Z-Wave, ZigBee and Bluetooth lights never light up.

I can’t access the Plus. I get a “Luup engine is taking longer to load” message. I’ve tried about everything with no success. Last attempt was to delete and try to re-add the controller at getvera.com. It found my unit, but hangs at “Updating Controller Software”. I let that run for over an hour, but it never completes.

It’s basically a brick now. Any suggestions?

I just emailed support so if marc@getvera.com is still monitoring the forum, I would appreciate any help.

WOW!

Vera support restored my unit about 10 minutes after I sent the email. Unbelievably quick response!!

btw. I also want to mention that the UI screen formatting on the Plus is much improved compared to Vera 3 (using Chrome). I get 3 nice columns of devices on my screen now. It just looks more “finished” now. I think the V7 design team have been working to get this right before release.

Thanks again!

I have the same problem…
“Updating Controller Software…” for three hours now.
Why is this happening on a brand new device ???

One more question… when i access the start page of my new Vera it say’s “1 device is no longer connected”
It fails to connect to a “_Scene Controller 1”

Is this normal on a brand new device ?

[quote=“vacumaster, post:17, topic:191092”]I have the same problem…

One more question… when i access the start page of my new Vera it say’s “1 device is no longer connected”

Is this normal on a brand new device ?[/quote]

My scene controller is “failed” too (Vera3 slave has it as a device). The Two Vera’s don’t talk much - They should be as far as I know. Weird.

[quote=“vacumaster, post:17, topic:191092”]I have the same problem…

I read somewhere on getvera.com, if you update from an old Vera running UI5 you must first create a new account.
“3. Go to home.getvera.com, create a new account and select “I have a new Vera to setup.””
When I try that, I get an error saying “email already in use”
Come on :-[ :-[ :-[ Do I have to get myself a new Email-adress for this to work ???

[quote=“vacumaster, post:19, topic:191092”][quote=“vacumaster, post:17, topic:191092”]I have the same problem…

I read somewhere on getvera.com, if you update from an old Vera running UI5 you must first create a new account.
“3. Go to home.getvera.com, create a new account and select “I have a new Vera to setup.””
When I try that, I get an error saying “email already in use”
Come on :-[ :-[ :-[ Do I have to get myself a new Email-adress for this to work ???[/quote]

I’m running into this as well.
guess i’m going to have to create a new email which is bs.