Howto: enable Vera Skill if not in supported country

Hi,

I just got a Amazon Dot to control my Vera by voice. Any extra would be bonus. To my horror I could not even find the Vera Skill. I found that the Vera Skill will only show if your Amazon account is setup for one of the main countries (US, UK, FR, DE, JP). I do understand that I cannot talk Dutch to the Dot, but why so restrictive? Many Skills that are only supporting US or GB where showing just fine.

I found a simple workaround. Log on to Amazon.com and under “Your Account” you see “Your Content and Devices”. Then goto preferences and put a US address under Country/region settings. Now logon to alexa.amazon.com again and there it is; your Vera Skill.

I assume Vera has restricted that the Skill will only show in the language supported countries. I think that should be changed. Just allow it for any country. Any HA nerd will understand they have to talk English (or Japanese if you can) to have any service.

So please lift the location limits from the Skill as many others do. Mean while you can use this.

Little update: With my default profile I would go to alexa.amazon.co.uk and that gives me a different list of skills than alexa.amazon.com would. Also the alexa app would just show the .co.uk skills. Even if I looked with my web browser the two would show me different enabled skills on my Dot!?! This night the app got updated and I see all skills I enabled via .co.uk and .com. BTW, the alexa web sites and App are a bit crappy if you ask me. I expect more from a company this size.

Update 2: I even got my Harmony hub enabled now. Change your country to US in your Harmony profile and try a few times. After linking you can change the country back. No idea why all this location specific hassle if the work a rounds are so simple.

Cheers Rene

I agree, it should be a language based skill, not a location based skill.

Hello,

Please note that this is already reported to our development team and they are working on improving it.

For any other issues or questions, you can send us an email to support@getvera.com.

Thank you and Have a nice day,