How would vera integrate to a security system (alarm system)?

Hi there;

My first post here.
Let me first let you know where I come from:

I’m a software engineer so I can understand how things work behind the scenes and I get crazy when I see companies out there charging you $50 monthly to allow a person to watch their camera feeds and control home devices through the internet while you can get all of this for free.

I’m trying to find my way around it and it appears that zwave devices and vera would answer all my needs for home automation and more.
As for cameras, I can live with my cameras on a separated app provided from security DVR.

Anyways, it leaves me with the alarm side.
I first looked into Simon XTi and Honeywell 5200

They appear to be great systems and in the future, if a decide I can plug them into a $8 month monitoring service.
However, I heard from someone that these panels and vera could play together.
Something like the alarm sending its signal to vera instead (or combined with the monitoring company) so vera could handle automation such as flash the lights outside the house when the alarm is triggered; something like that.

Also vera could control the alarm arming and disarming it and since vera is available through the internet, it would me for free the same kind of control alarm.com and similar companies would charge me at least $30 monthly.

Is it possible? If not with the two alarm systems I mentioned, with any other wireless alarm panel? Does it even make sense?
I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance;

I suggest you have a look over this forum, especially the Lock, Motion and Security Control subforum. There are many discussions on alarm systems, which is recommended and what you can do.

• Garrett

You’re looking at this the wrong way.

Vera doesn’t take on the role of an off site monitoring service for your alarm, rather by using a device like the EVL3 Vera can monitor the status of the devices (door contacts, motion detectors and smoke detectors) connected to your alarm system and trigger scenes based on their status or change of status.

I have a DSC alarm system and still make use of a conventional alarm monitoring service AND the vera notifications of events.

For instance - I have vera unlock the front door when I disarm the alarm system from “away” mode (using my alarm system keyfob) and turn on the foyer lights (if it’s after dark). If the alarm is tripped not only does the monitoring company get notified, but the Vera system flips the perimeter lights on and off for 45 minutes. If a smoke alarm is tripped then Vera turns all the interior lights on…etc etc etc.

Need to make sure the panel you have or want to get is compatible with VERA and yes it’s all possible.

I think using an alarm system for VERA door and windows inputs is the Best way to go vs. 30.00 big bulky z-wave sensors on every door.

How about this idea.
:o
set up Door/window contacts and motion detectors.

Use the following to tie into your existing Fire Alarm System as long as they are AC and tied to together.
[url=http://community.smartthings.com/t/mimolite-sensor-as-smoke-detector-device/1924/18]http://community.smartthings.com/t/mimolite-sensor-as-smoke-detector-device/1924/18[/url]

Then setup a scene for when your away that if any trip then you get a signal sent to your phone and it also activates all the fire alarms. if you have Zwave lock maybe when you press certain digits on the panel it arms the scene, until you enter the correct to digits to unlock the door.

That seems like a damn good alarm system to me and then you look at your wifi video camers to check for intruder and call the police.

Seems a good as any alarm panel I can think of and add to it that all the lights in the house start flashing!
Again I am brainstorming here but I hope others in the forum will start shooting holes into my ideas, PLEASE before I do it!!!

[quote=“davejet, post:5, topic:183885”]How about this idea.
:o
set up Door/window contacts and motion detectors.

Use the following to tie into your existing Fire Alarm System as long as they are AC and tied to together.
[url=http://community.smartthings.com/t/mimolite-sensor-as-smoke-detector-device/1924/18]http://community.smartthings.com/t/mimolite-sensor-as-smoke-detector-device/1924/18[/url]

Then setup a scene for when your away that if any trip then you get a signal sent to your phone and it also activates all the fire alarms. if you have Zwave lock maybe when you press certain digits on the panel it arms the scene, until you enter the correct to digits to unlock the door.

That seems like a damn good alarm system to me and then you look at your wifi video camers to check for intruder and call the police.

Seems a good as any alarm panel I can think of and add to it that all the lights in the house start flashing!
Again I am brainstorming here but I hope others in the forum will start shooting holes into my ideas, PLEASE before I do it!!![/quote]

Vera is not reliable enough for most to handle day to day job of an Alarm. and you still back to all the bulky and costly z-wave door and window sensors.

Alarm sensors can be hidden inside the door, batteries last longer, more reliable and wireless rang is further. They have also been around for years, longer then VERA and probley will be around well after VERA has gone too.

Battery backup is built into alarm panels, Keypad included so guest or family members who are around without smartphones.

It’s decision that needs a lot of thought. But there is alot of advantages of not relaying only on z-wave. If you can wire your sensors they are 1.00 each. So the cost of 30.00 wired sensors vs. one z-wave sensor.