How to send notifications to multiple devices

I’d like to set up three old Android phones to receive the same voice messages from VerAlerts.

What’s the correct way to do this? It seems I can associate multiple ID strings (the gibberish) with one MCV Notification User (say, “audible”). So now I pick “audible” as a Notification User for each event, and it goes to all three Android IDs.

Alternatively, it looks like I might be able to set the Android ID manually, so that all three match the gibberish string of the first unit. This might be more synchronized when sounding messages. Does this work?

Recent Experimental evidence says that you CAN NOT have two Android devices with the same Device Identifier.
The last one to register gets all the messages. The others get nothing.

So… in VeraAlerts there’s Additional Configuration → User/Vera Alerts ID.
I can set one User as having multiple IDs (separated by space).

But then – how do I use that User name as a recipient for messages messages?
The “Recipients” field in the scene – Advanced → VeraAlerts->Recipients doesn’t seem to accept User name as a recipient. It requires the full Alerts ID, I think.
At least, if I put a User there, it doesn’t work. see “groundloop” below:

08      12/24/12 14:01:52.698   Scene::RunScene running 12 Test <0x2d61d680>
08      12/24/12 14:01:52.699   JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest device: 47 service: urn:richardgreen:serviceId:VeraAlert1 action: SendAlert <0x2d61d680>
08      12/24/12 14:01:52.699   JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest argument Message=Test Scene Activated <0x2d61d680>
08      12/24/12 14:01:52.699   JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest argument Recipients=groundloop <0x2d61d680>
50      12/24/12 14:01:52.700   luup_log:47: VeraAlert:47:Msg::Test Scene Activated  <0x2d61d680>
50      12/24/12 14:01:52.972   luup_log:47: VeraAlert:47:SendAlert:Return:200 <0x2d61d680>

Yet this doesn’t seem to translate into any Vera ID (no message delivered).
If I “hard code” the Vera ID instead of the username, then it works, but that’s tedious to update all the recipients each time I add a listening device.

Hence, the question – how to send to multiple devices.

Am I the only one trying to use the User name as a message recipient?

To recap: I can use either a Vera Alert ID (long random string), or a full email@domain address, but not a User name as a recipient.

I’m totally perplexed as to how this is supposed to work. Nothing I enter in the User name as a Vera ID works… one ID or multiple IDs – nothing sends. I see the log message stating the message is sent, to the User.

I really want one User to map to three or four Android devices, and easily add/remove them.
Today, I have to spell out each long Vera ID in EACH of the notification recipients. There doesn’t appear to be an easy way to do this short of visiting each one and add to the space-delimited list. The “User” field seems to be the right place to map it, but it’s not working for me.

Is anyone having better luck with User as recipient?

If you want to use multiple recipients you have two choices:

[ol][li]Create seperate Pseudo users on cp.mios.com
Do not create text or email notifications for these.
Do not specifiy a default recipients in Vera Alerts
When you create notifications, specify which Pseudo users get which notifications.
In Vera Alerts Assign the Vera Alerts ID for each user[/li]
[li]Use multiple comma or tab delimited Vera Alerts identifiers for the recipients. (These are the NON user friendly long strings)[/li][/ol]

You can have one Pseudo user be a set of phones, for example House Notifiers
Than assign multiple Vera Alert IDs to House Notifiers

Can you confirm that this part works:
“In Vera Alerts Assign the Vera Alerts ID for each user” (so, “bob” → “qpWE8pwef”)
“When you create notifications, specify which Pseudo users get which notifications.” (“bob”)

I’m totally unable to get any notifications to go to a user by name.

Only the non-user-friendly-long-string Alert ID works. Username does nothing. Did I break something? Any logs that would help?
The log event for the outbound message shows only the user name (“bob”).

Are you trying to send an Alert from luup code ?
You must use the Vera Alert ID string there.

You use names when you have Vera Alerts handle the standard Vera Notifications.
When you create a notification on the Notification tabs of a device or the notifications for the triggers of a scene.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:6, topic:173711”]You use names when you have Vera Alerts handle the standard Vera Notifications.
When you create a notification on the Notification tabs of a device or the notifications for the triggers of a scene.[/quote]
I think I see the issue here. Names (apparently) can NOT be be used here:

I see the source of the confusion now … I will update the documentation.

Notification tabs on Vera, you just check user names.
If it asks for recipients it’s Vera Alerts IDs or email addresses.

Sorry to bring up an old post, but would it be possible to code it so that where it asks for “recipients” you can put a name instead of recipient IDs (Ideally, both options would work)? Somewhere in the code there must be a mapping of user name → Recipeint IDs, so I wouldn’t think this wouldn’t be an issue, but I can’t be absolutely sure (not knowing the limitations of the plugins code for Vera).

I will add that to the list.

I realize this topic is more than three years old… but, I just found the joys of using VA. I’d attempted it before, but must have been too tired/overwhelmed, and gave up. This time, I managed to get it working using the ‘vera-alerts-mobile’ profile. I’ve subsequently purchased a license. But, I have several android tablets, phones, and stereo head units (all running under the same Google credentials) that I’d like to get on board.

Did the ability to specify multiple android vera ids under a single profile vanish, or am I still too tired/overwhelmed?

I’ve tried locating a field to add the second android device’s id, but no matter where I put it, the net effect is that no device receives alerts.

If this ability has been disabled to coral users into purchasing more licenses, that’s ok… I don’t mind doing that. But I’d prefer not to go that route unless it’s really the only pathway. I have no intention of separating notifications to different devices. One ‘broadcast’ alert to all devices is fine.

See the attached screen shot. I successfully used the “NEW Profile” drop down box to add another profile for use with Vera-Alerts.

[font=opensanslight][size=14px]According to Richard’s previous posts, 1 license allows for 2 active profiles.[/size][/font]

Thanks Brian. I realize that’s an option. But with about 5 different devices, that means I’d need to buy another four licenses (I have a second Edge at a different property as well) - even more if I want to add my wife’s devices. Ultimately, that’s what I may end up doing - but since I’m not trying to shape the alerts - and all devices should get them all, I think it’s overkill to create a profile for each device.

You can use a PushOver or PushBullet profile … There you send to the PushBullet or PushOver server … and they each distribute to EACH attached devices.

There are so many options with Vera Alerts, you just need to match your objectives to the available service options.

Thanks for the nudge, Rich. I just latched on to the vera-mobile. I’ll play with the other profiles. Thanks.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:14, topic:173711”]You can use a PushOver or PushBullet profile … There you send to the PushBullet or PushOver server … and they each distribute to EACH attached devices.

There are so many options with Vera Alerts, you just need to match your objectives to the available service options.[/quote]

I feel like such a noob - I’m embarrassed to even ask… but… I need some hand holding with the Pushbullet.

I created an account, and generated a token. I DID NOT install any programs or apps from Pushbullet - on my PC or devices.

I added the profile in VA, and checked that it’s set under profile associations - to both my username (I have only one) and default recipients.

When I go to control/send alert and check the Pushbullet profile, I get nothing. If I check my username or vera-alters-mobil, it works.

Am I missing a step?

ETA: I may be overthinking this. If I use Pushbullet SERIVCE, does that mean I have to use their app to receive the notifications, or is the VA app able to intercept them? In other words, is the only way the VA app will work is if I’m using the Vera-alerts-mobil or lan?

You will need to the PushBullet apps on the mobile devices.

You will view the notifications via the Push Bullet App on the mobile devices … they also have the option to put the notification in the notification bar at the top of your phone.

This option allows you to send notifications to multiple devices without needing a license for each device.
It does not have some of the features of the Vera Alerts Android App.

Thanks Rich. Since I’ve already gotten used to the VeraAlerts log screen, I’m opting to simplify the process and skip the third-party apps. As you know, I’ve purchased the required additional licenses to allow me enough capacity to use VeraAlerts-mobile on all devices.

On an aside, and unrelated to the OP, is there a way to save off the log/DB? From a historical/security standpoint, I’d hate to wipe out the entire list accidentally, or if I had to get a new phone.

There is not a way to export/import the data.

If you have a rooted phone there are backup/restore utilities that can be used.

I am, and between Titanium Backups, Nandroids, and having VA now running on multiple devices simultaneously, I think I’ve got my bases covered. But, if you could consider this a ‘feature request’ - an “export/share database” option would be really nice feature for those that aren’t rooted. My wife’s Verizon LG V10 is a prime example. Rooting is overly complicated, if not outright impossible - and VZ has taken the position that any rooting will completely void the warranty on a $700 phone.