How to properly add plugin/device

and there are instructions on how to install plugins to add ??
I copied files to a plugin SMD-ludl (this Laurent2) - he never appeared.
I tried through - create device- failed too …

question - how to install plugins? what am I doing wrong?
Thank you.

all plugins should work ? - with a market MIOS… - downloaded files…

There used to be, but I see that in various edits of the User Guide, it seems to have disappeared.

question - how to install plugins?

Just use the +Create button on the AltUI Devices page, specifying:

[ol][li]a name for the plugin[/li]
[li]its D_xxx.xml file[/li]
[li]its I_xxx.xml file[/li][/ol]

…should be that simple.

all plugins should work ?

No, some plugins do extremely bizarre things that are very, very, Vera-specific. However, many do work.

An incomplete list is here: openLuup: Known working plugins

Some guaranteed to work are available for automatic installation from the Alt App Store from within AltUI, described here: AltUI: Alternate App Store

Thank you

Just use the +Create button on the AltUI Devices page, specifying:
a name for the plugin
its D_xxx.xml file
its I_xxx.xml file</blockquote>

Just on this - is it actually necessary to specify the Implementation file? My understanding is that the Description file handles the Implementation file, via the implementationList and implementationFile tags?

It’s a while since I checked this behaviour, but IIRC the the implementation file specified overrides the device file specification. It may be an AltUI thing, but without an implementation file in the form, I believe you don’t get one at all. If you use luup.create_device() then it behaves as you describe.

I may be wrong…

plugin files downloaded from vera, (or directly from forum) KODI plugin, PING plugin and more…
files uploaded via ssh, create device from UI and… no variables.
no error in the log…
what is the correct way to have new plugin in the running openLuup env.

I’ve merged this question into a new thread along with some similar, earlier, discussions.

Although there are no errors in the log, it would be interesting to see what IS in there after a reload…

Ping sensor solved by other package.

Sorry to bump am old thread, but I’m having the same issue…

I have downloaded the files, and I move the icon files to where they are supposed to go, and then the rest I’ve put in the /etc/cmh-ludl/ folder. Then within ALTUI I create a new device stating the name and adding the two other files, and select ‘save’. Nothing seems to happen after this.

Is this the correct way to create new devices which are not in the ALTUI App Store?

I hope my question doesn’t seem too silly, I’ve never used Linux before and really am very much a noob with these things.

I have this installed within a Virtual Box on my Windows 10 PC.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

You may need to refresh the browser to see the new device. A new device, added for the first time, will not necessarily force a reload, although many plugins do.

If it hasn’t worked, then a log of you trying to install it would help. Check the device tables for it, to see if it’s there too.

What is the plugin?

Hi,

Running on a PI I often have to manually do a Luup Reload even though the interface has a message that will/should occur for changes to really take. Always try that( and the browser refresh) before looking deeper.

Cheers Rene

Hi Guys

Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it. I am such a noob that I can’t actually believe that I have got this far! I would like to share the log file, but I have no idea where to find it. I have searched but to no avail.

Also, whenever I tell it to reload, I get the message “Controller did not respond”

[quote=“Homer, post:12, topic:193253”]Hi Guys

Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it. I am such a noob that I can’t actually believe that I have got this far! I would like to share the log file, but I have no idea where to find it. I have searched but to no avail.[/quote]
With openLuup akbooer made it actually really simple. You go to the openLuup device, select Control Pannel and click the CONSOLE Interface link. There you can see the logs in the Logs dropdown.

You should get that message two or three times as that is how long it takes for the luup engine behind the UI to restart. After that all should be working again.

Cheers Rene

Thanks heaps for your help!

I’ve done a new install. I’m very new to this, but I’m slowly learning. I had realised that I didn’t create the folders in the correct place, so I reinstalled everything again on a clean OS install.

I still get the message saying that the control isn’t responding, but at this stage I’m ignoring that message. So far the only plugin I’ve tried to install manually is the Sonos plugin, and what is happening now is when I create the plugin, ULTUI stops responding and just hangs. If I shut the system down and start it up again, it works fine again, but still no plugin.

I’m pretty busy today doing other stuff, but when I get the time I’ll try and install a different plugin and report back.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The Sonos plugin is one of the most complex, and not one I would recommend to start with.

Yeah I think I have found that to be the case :slight_smile:

I made a mistake in my previous post… the only way to get it to work again after attempting to install the Sonos plugin is to reinstall openLuup.

Anyways, time to try another plugin :slight_smile:

It should never be necessary to reinstall openLuup unless you’ve actually deleted some of its files.

Still, good luck with another plugin. Log files are useful to diagnose any problems and by default the last 5 log versions are saved, so it should be possible to find out what’s going on.