How to connect Doorbell to DSC Alarm Panel as a "Zone"

Hi There -

Anyone know how to do this? I’ve already run a line to my Doorbell Unit (not the actual doorbell button, but rather to the chime unit). Not sure how to have the DSC panel detect a zone opening (do I need a relay, or how to I get this to work exactly)? Can someone please provide a bit of direction on how to get this work. Many thanks.

Martin

I think you can run that wire to one of the PGM inputs… but you’ll need to do some research.
but that would be a good start i think.

Anyone else? The door bell would need some sort of relay though (to differentiate between “open” and “closed”), wouldn’t it?

yeah you will need relay. I have one of these relays with the coil wired across the door bell connections then have the normally closed contacts wired to a everspring door widow z-wave sensor. one problem you might have with your alarm panel is that it might not pick up a quick button press of the door bell button, the everspring z-wave sensor does but I also tried it with one of my wireless honeywell sensors for my alarm panel and it did not work, I did not try a hard wire zone so I cant speak to that, only one way to find out. the nice thing about the above relay is that the coil can work with between 10-30 volts ac or dc.

I think you want this (well, the Doorbell part of it):
http://www.elkproducts.com/product-catalog/elk-930-doorbell-and-telephone-ring-detector

I actually did try it as a hard wired zone on my DSC 1816 and as you said, the quick action of a doorbell press was too quick for the system to pick up. Even taking Vera out of the loop and just having the keypad chime I had about 50/50 success with a successful button push->keypad chime

In that case the elk relay guessed linked to might be the best bet.

Thanks guys … might give the Elk a try. Will post back in a couple weeks (as I won’t be able to get to this for a little while).

You ever figure this out?

Hi

Old thread but if anyone is still tracking it.

Would you say this ‘Timer Relay’ could extend the length of a door bell press so it’s of use in an DSC alarm panel?

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/13c9/0900766b813c94cb.pdf

That may work, but the worry is that with a high impedance input such as the trigger on that board, the coil in the doorbell ringer may make that module think the contacts are permanently closed. There’s no harm in trying it, if the module isn’t too expensive.

Another option would be to put the relay across the door bell unit as described above, but add a rather large value
(1000uf) electrolytic capacitor across it too. This will charge very quickly while the button is pressed and keep the relay powered for up to a second after the button is let go. Should work pretty easily and isn’t too difficult to do. A capacitor like that would only cost less than a dollar.