How to change email subject to include name of scene?

I setup VeraAlerts to send me an email when one of the following happens:

1. motion is detected at the front of the house - email me 5 photos from the front camera
  2. motion is detected at the rear of the house - email me 5 photos from the rear camera
  3. rear door is opened - email me 5 photos from the great room’s camera

i have a scene for each of these events and thus get a notification (under notification configuration).

the problem is that the subject in my email is always “Vera Notification - Motion Detected” so i don’t know until I open the email whether the photos are from which event…

is there a way to override the subject to include the scene name being run? e.g. “Vera Notification - Rear Door Opens” when my “Rear Door Opens” scene runs.

[quote=“gwichman, post:1, topic:190350”]I setup VeraAlerts to send me an email when one of the following happens:

1. motion is detected at the front of the house - email me 5 photos from the front camera
  2. motion is detected at the rear of the house - email me 5 photos from the rear camera
  3. rear door is opened - email me 5 photos from the great room’s camera

i have a scene for each of these events and thus get a notification (under notification configuration).

the problem is that the subject in my email is always “Vera Notification - Motion Detected” so i don’t know until I open the email whether the photos are from which event…

is there a way to override the subject to include the scene name being run? e.g. “Vera Notification - Rear Door Opens” when my “Rear Door Opens” scene runs.[/quote]

“Vera Alerts” plugin and or Android app. Can even push a few sec. clip.

I’m using the vera alerts plugin already and successfully getting photos… my question was about altering the subject line to be more useful.

Sorry, I was meaning using the Vera App along with the Vera Plugin. Email’s are so clunky and big vs. a list of alerts.

But to better help you out. Have you read the “SMTP Mail Profile” on Richards Vera alerts page?

http://rts-services.com/Vera/Plugin/VeraAlerts/

More specifically below.

Where XXX is the Vera Device ID for the Camera.[b] This also supports the ability to override other profile parameters such as:[/b]

{From=XXX@YYY.com}
{Subject=This is a serious alert}

yes and i’ve overridden the subject line but would like it to include the scene name and don’t know how to do that.

personally i prefer emails over a list of alerts since i can also view them on my computer and it serves as an archive for the photos that i can pull up later or forward to someone.

[quote=“gwichman, post:5, topic:190350”]yes and i’ve overridden the subject line but would like it to include the scene name and don’t know how to do that.

personally i prefer emails over a list of alerts since i can also view them on my computer and it serves as an archive for the photos that i can pull up later or forward to someone.[/quote]

Sorry, I’m not following. If you override (customize) the subject line to one of your choice you can type in the scene name there and it will show in the subject line.

Maybe your talking about in the “Profiles” and not under the “Notification Configuration” in the Vera alerts app?

Profiles affects the whole user, Notification Configuration and message override affects each notification individually.

I would test your override in the Message Override and see if that works, If it’s not an option then your whole user is now stuck with the same subject… Which doesn’t seem right.

under profiles i have my subject overide. specifically, “Vera Notification - Motion Detected” under the “subject” field. Thus all my veraalerts emails that i get always have that as a subject.

on my notification configuration page, I have only overridden the message to send me the photos for the particular device depending on what scene runs (see attached screenshot).

what i’d like is for the subject to reflect which scene ran so that i know where the motion occurred or what door sensor triggered.

[quote=“gwichman, post:7, topic:190350”]under profiles i have my subject overide. specifically, “Vera Notification - Motion Detected” under the “subject” field. Thus all my veraalerts emails that i get always have that as a subject.

on my notification configuration page, I have only overridden the message to send me the photos for the particular device depending on what scene runs (see attached screenshot).

what i’d like is for the subject to reflect which scene ran so that i know where the motion occurred or what door sensor triggered.[/quote]

Yes, have you tried to add the override to same area in the attachment? If that doesn’t work, I think your out of luck without paying for more “Profiles” for each different subject you want.

if you’re referring to the upper section where it has a name/description/message override/house modes i can’t seem to edit that for some unbeknownst to me reason.

i did try blanking the subject field in the profiles screen but that just got me emails that all say “Vera Notification” with no context to what scene it was.

[quote=“gwichman, post:9, topic:190350”]if you’re referring to the upper section where it has a name/description/message override/house modes i can’t seem to edit that for some unbeknownst to me reason.

i did try blanking the subject field in the profiles screen but that just got me emails that all say “Vera Notification” with no context to what scene it was.[/quote]

No I mean the “MESSAGE OVERRIDE” box on the right in the picture. Thats where you put your camera ID’s and custom text.

oh jeez… i can’t believe i didn’t try that before and figure that out on my own. You’re right that worked… Added a {Subject=Front Door Motion} type line to each message override and viola. I guess for whatever reason it wasn’t intuitive to me… perhaps i’m just getting old

Thanks so much for your help!

[quote=“gwichman, post:11, topic:190350”]oh jeez… i can’t believe i didn’t try that before and figure that out on my own. You’re right that worked… Added a {Subject=Front Door Motion} type line to each message override and viola. I guess for whatever reason it wasn’t intuitive to me… perhaps i’m just getting old

Thanks so much for your help![/quote]

No worries! I have never used the EMAIL email function so I wasn’t 100% sure if it would work the way I thought it should. Glad it worked out.