How Often Does Aeotec Multisensor 6 Report?

By default, how often does the Aeotec Multisensor 6 (running on USB power) report to Vera? I’m particularly interested in temperature, I thought I saw that the default was to report whenever temperature changes by 2 degrees - and if so how can I change that to 0.5 degrees?

By default, it reports every 3600 seconds (one hour, per parameters 101 and 111), and delta-T/delta-H reporting is turned off. It is correct that the default delta-T is 2.0 degrees, but delta reporting itself is not enabled by default and must be enabled by modifying parameter 40.

And that may not be the only hurdle. The delta-T and delta-H thresholds for reporting (once enabled) are parameters 41 and 42. I haven’t tried, but I suspect that Vera may have trouble setting number 41 (delta-T), because it’s a 3-byte integer parameter, and Vera UI7 only provides options for sending 1, 2, and 4-byte parameter values. Does anyone reading this know?

Ref: Aeotec Multisensor documentation for firmware v1.07 and v1.08.

Note with firmware V1.10 parameters 41,49 & 50 are now 4 byte inputs

V1.10 + V1.11: 1. Added addition setting for Parameter 81 to completely disable LED. Parameter 81 [1 byte size] 0 = All LED allowed 1 = Disable Motion sensor only. 2 = Disable all LED activity
  1. Size change for Parameters 41, 49, and 50 to 4 byte size.
  2. Updated Z-Wave Library
  3. US, AU frequency V1.10 equivalent to V1.11 EU frequency.
  4. Version CC and Manufacturing CC listed under secure network.
  5. Improved accuracy of lighting sensor

The value for Firmware showing on the UI is: 134,0,1160

Does anyone know how to decipher this?

I definitely need temperature to report when changes occur. The MultiSensor on my system is device #103, the temperature component is device #104. When I click on 104 the available properties under Advanced Settings → Variables are shown in the attached image.

-MC

[ul]You change the multisensor’s parameters by going into the parent device (which is usually labeled as multisensor or motion sensor, your device #103), and then go to Device Options, and use the Add Configuration Options button.

This is a task best done slowly/methodically, because the bugs abound in this area of UI7 and there are peculiarities in the interaction between the device and Vera. My personal SOP is this:

[list type=decimal]
[li]Hit the “Add Configuration Options” button as many times as parameters I want to change. This will add several lines of configuration options to that screen. If you do this one at a time and start filling in parameter numbers, types and values, UI7 seems to lose your settings as you go (hit Add and you get a new row and your prior rows go blank) and you end up redoing them anyway, so just add several blank lines first, then…[/li]
[li]Enter the parameter number (under the “Variable” heading) for each Multisensor parameter you are going to change, but leave the type as “Monitor Only” at this stage.[/li]
[li]Save your configuration options: hit “Save Changes”. NOW, VERY IMPORTANT: Wait. Luup will quietly restart at this point, and will try to send the device configuration. If your device is powered, this won’t take much time, but if it’s battery-operated, you’ll need to wait until the next wakeup cycle occurs and the Vera and sensor talk to each other.[/li]
[li]When it’s done, you’ll be able to go into Device Options and see the values for the configuration parameters you set up in step 2. You can compare these to the documentation to see what needs updating. If it seems like it’s not updating, make sure you do a full browser refresh/cache flush to make sure you’re getting to see the actual current version of device state.[/li]
[li]For each parameter that needs to change, change its type from “Monitor Only” to the type specified in the multisensor documentation (1, 2 or 4 byte length). Then hit the “Save Changes” button, and again, wait for the Vera to communicate with and configure the device.[/li]
[/list]

I only ever do this with one sensor at a time, also. My experience has been when I make too many changes at once, they don’t take (I have this experience a lot on Vera–I think it’s one of its defining characteristics). And once I hit the Save Changes button once, I don’t do anything else with the sensor or the Vera until the communication/configuration cycle completes.

If you’re not sure what firmware you have, just flash the device with 1.10 or higher, whatever is current. I don’t think there’s a disadvantage in doing this, and that will ensure that parameter 41 is a 4-byte value that Vera can read and set (thank you @JohnRob for the update on that!).

Firmware 1.10 and instructions here: Aeotec MultiSensor 6 firmware upgrade : Aeotec Help Desk

Thanks Rigpapa, unfortunately Aeotec requires use of a zStick to update the firmware. One of my reasons for choose zWave Plus devices was the PROMISE of firmware upgrades over the air, so far I don’t think a single zWave Plus device has actually delivered on that promise. :frowning:

Do you know of any way to “query” what the firmware version on the device actually is? Or how to decipher what’s being reported in the post above?

-MC

To check the firmware version, go to:

Multisensor6 / Advanced / Variables / Version Info the last 2 or digits define the version

Mine was

3,4,54,1,60 when it was version 1.06 (would thought the last two digits should have been 06 not 60)

I updated it to V1.10 and now it reads:

I bought an old Z-stick on ebay (the S2 version) to update my Multisensor6

Drat! My brand new ZW100 shows VersionInfo: 3,4,5,1,8

So that means mine is 1.8. I’m leaving for a 3 week vacation in 10 days and don’t really have time to jump through the hoops required to update firmware. Can I force updates by polling more frequently? I have PollSettings: 10800 so I assume that’s every 10800 seconds, or every 3 HOURS! Can I set this to 300 to make it refresh every 5 minutes?

-MC

Changing PollSetting to 300 seems to be working, I can get temperature changes every 5 minutes which is acceptable (3 hours was not, what a dumb default - almost as dumb as having all the sensors NOT report state changes by default!). Thanks for your help folks, I’ll play with this again in February. :slight_smile: