How much memor does a plugin or device uses?

Hi, is there a way to see specifically how much memory is a device or a plugin consuming live?

Regards.

This is not that meaningful … You have to account for the “Stacks” for the “Threads” which can run events. Each plugin can support two threads … and that is probably the dominant memory usage.

Note: that if a plugin is controlled by somebody else … (Z-Wave, Mult-Sensors) that the “Stacks” are only for the controlling device. So the child devices are much lighter in memory.

Thank you Richard, it is not so clear to me. So I should care more about how much memory does a plugin needs? I am talking for example about a WOL sensor. I currently have four devices of this plugin and planning to add more so I can greet my frequent visitors when they are home, but I want to know if this will cost me a lot of memory or not.

Regards.

A WOL sensor as I recall is similar to the ping sensor.
As a result it is not controlled by another plugin. As a result this is a heavy weight plugin.

For Plugins that often have many instances … It would be more efficient memory wise to have a master plugin and child devices that only have a user interface. But that is more complicated for a developer to setup.

It’s a shame we are so constrained on memory on Vera.

Thanx Richard, yes, indeed is a shame.

Although almost all of us have the USB logging enabled, still memory is an issue, I also set up the USB with a swap file and mounted it, it helps a little, but it would be nice if someone could make a mod like the one for the antenna to add more ram though.

Will it be too difficult for you to add to your fabulous PLEG another type of triggers that feed by pinging a device directly from PLEG? As input, schedules, properties and pings?

Will it be too difficult for you to add to your fabulous PLEG another type of triggers that feed by pinging a device directly from PLEG? As input, schedules, properties and pings?

Not difficult … but not likely either.
As a software engineer/architect we use design principals that help decide how to approach a problem. One is known as separation of concerns. Pinging a device shares no concepts with the internal design of PLEG/PLTS. So it would fail this principal.

Ok Richard, thank you for the explanation, I understand. Hope someone can design a plugin that can do that or be more memory efficient.