Hot Water Tank

Hello all.
I’ve got a Vera 3 doing simple thermostat changes so the house is warm when we go up to the vacation house. I’m semi ok at doing simple scenes and I think I understand the concept in general. (turn light on when I put in a key code etc…

I’m planning to add a dry contactor to trick my spa not heat during the day.

Schedules is where I get lost.

I’m on a EVA (electric Vehicle) rate schedule with my electric utility co (PGE), so I can basically use as much energy as I want at night without fear of a “tiered” rate structure. So, when we are not up at the cabin, I would like to turn the spa heaters off during the day to save electricity and turn them back on at night to keep the spa “warm”
I am planning to have a scene that turns my spa heater off during the day 7am to 9pm which is the most expensive time. Setting up a scene and adding a schedule is the easy part, but this is where my understanding of coding scenes is lost. I don’t want this “night heat scene” to be in effect when we are up enjoying the house, I just want it to bypass that night heat scene. How do I “disable” this scene easily when we are using the place semi or totally automatically?? I keep poking around trying to understand the “virtual switch” but I need a walk through on a simple system… I’ve looked on utube but it just won’t “click” with me…I know once it does it will open my eyes to a lot of different possibilities but 'm just not there yet…

Right now I just have to scenes…

1. “winter Away status”
    setts the thermostats to 50degrees.
    turns of a couple appliance plugs for aux heating…

2. “Occupied”
    Sets thermostats to 70deg
    Turns on aux appliance plugs

I activate these manually through vera online when we are on our way up or when I leave the cabin.

Any help out there?

I would think it was important for you to be sure that your schedules ran accurately to avoid excess energy charges. The problem with Vera’s built-in schedules is that they can be disturbed by restarts. This could result in your spa running during the day time.

I believe you would be better served by using the Program Logic Event Generator (PLEG) plugin to manage your schedules. PLEG ensures that schedules are preserved following restarts and will also make it easy for you to add an Occupied VirtualSwitch.

Start by looking through PLEG Basics.

Thanks a lot. I’ll start doing some homework!