Honeywell zwave thermostat "recovery mode"

I want to set back temperature at night but if I raise the temp by more than one degree it kicks the aux heat strips on. In the manual I see a screen icon for “recovery mode” but can’t seem to find any way to use it. I am not even sure if it will help with my issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Heat pump? I suspect the aux heat strips come on because it would take far too long for the heat pump to get to set point. I wonder if there is some setting you can change to affect when the second stage kicks in…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as I know recovery mode only works if you are using the schedule in the thermostat and have it enabled in the installers programming menu. the unit will come on earlier then the schedule is set for to be at temp by the scheduled time by using only the compressor and not the heat strip .

After more reading it looks like recovery mode turns the heat on for a few minutes to determine how long it will take to bring the system up to the set point. I suppose I could make this work if I use the alarm system arming to setback the temperature and use a daily thermostat program time to recover. I live in a climate that would rarely ever need the “emergency” or aux heat strips.

[quote=“Gizmo, post:4, topic:185480”]After more reading it looks like recovery mode turns the heat on for a few minutes to determine how long it will take to bring the system up to the set point. I suppose I could make this work if I use the alarm system arming to setback the temperature and use a daily thermostat program time to recover. I live in a climate that would rarely ever need the “emergency” or aux heat strips.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk[/quote]

If that is the case, you can simply disable the aux heat. Depending on which thermostat; you may be able to do this in programming (set heating stages to 1) or simply remove the aux heat signal from the stat to the air handler (you need to keep the defrost heat signal from the outside unit working). If you are in the US, most of the time the white wire is used from the stat to the air handler for aux heat.

I thought about that but the key word is rarely. Once every decade or so we hit single digits. I don’t know if that will require the aux heat. I think that I should have more control over when the thermostat calls for the aux heat via programming and commands.

You could use a Vera controlled contactor or relay to control the aux heat just leave it off unless the outside temp goes below X. The relay will call for it, but nothing will kick in until Vera enables it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote=“Gizmo, post:6, topic:185480”]I thought about that but the key word is rarely. Once every decade or so we hit single digits. I don’t know if that will require the aux heat. I think that I should have more control over when the thermostat calls for the aux heat via programming and commands.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Then you only have a few options that I know of (because to my knowledge none of the Honeywell Z-Wave thermostats has those “advanved” options…) and because you can’t switch the high voltage with any type of Z-Wave switch, (because you need the outdoor unit to be able to activate the aux heaters for defrost) you will need to either move to a control system (thermostat) that offers the option or build it yourself.

1. Arduino and MySensors.
  2. Honeywell Prestige 2 IAQ system, with an Outdoor sensor. (non Zwave)