Homewave -> OpenLuup

Is there a way for Homewave to see devices on an openLuup server? Had to move Ecobee to openLuup due to the TLS API requirements. It’s working there but since I removed the plugin out of Vera, Homewave can no longer see my thermostat.

Any options?

The app works with OpenLuup on a server separate from Vera (that’s how I run my home at the moment). Add it as a new “Vera” in the app:

• Provide IP address and credentials if you use authentication
  • Enable “Direct to Vera”
  • Enable “Ingore Vera IP Setting”
  • Enable “Authenticate locally” if you use authentication

Karma to @intveltr for that! I was holding back from responding in the hope that he would.

I use HomeWave on my openLuup systems. It’s a great app.

Great! Thank you both!

Yes! indeed, been using Homewave now only connected to OpenLuup as I cut it off from the Vera to reduce I/Os to it. It’s beeen working flawlessly.

@intveltr @akbooer

Does Homewave connect to the openLuup device when my phone is not connected to the same network as openLuup? I am sure it works when I am home, but I want to know if I can access the openLuup when I am away from home or on vacation.

It won’t, unless you setup a vpn into your home. For anything to work outside your network, you either have to have the device bridged out to the cloud or you have to have a way to bridge into the house through VPN.

1 Like

There were efforts to connect to openLuup over the internet some years ago, including the use of applications such as Weaved and Dataplicity. See, for example:

But as @rafale77 mentions, the ‘best’ way is undoubtedly VPN.

I’ve never had the need for this myself, at least not for remote control. Periodic status information can be received through email or notifications via Prowl, etc., or, indeed, via other websites secured through the usual security measures.