HomeSeer HS-WD100+ Z-Wave Plus Scene Capable Wall Dimmer (and switch)

Well it looks like HomeSeer is the first to release a dimmer, the HS-WD100+, since the Leviton Patent expired that supports Instant Status. Since it’s not yet shipping we have no idea who is making it but at least we have a Full Featured switch at a reasonable price.

[size=12pt]Here is the basic Product Overview[/size]
Main Features

[ul][li]Supports wireless on-off-dim control of dimmable lighting loads[/li]
[li]Z-Wave Plus certified for easy inclusion and reliable communications[/li]
[li]Compatible with HomeSeer (and many other) home controllers[/li]
[li]Includes double-tap, triple-tap, press & hold event features to trigger up to 6 different home automation events[/li]
[li]Supports Z-Wave central scene technology[/li]
[li]Supports instant status when controlled locally[/li]
[li]Easy ‘screw terminal’ installation[/li][/ul]

Important Information
HS-WD100+ is a Z-Wave Plus certified dimming (on-off-dim) wall switch for use with most dimmable lighting loads. The switch includes the newest 500 series Z-Wave module is and Z-Wave Plus certified to ensure support for the latest Z-Wave features. HS-WD100+ may be used with most home controllers but should be used with HomeSeer Hometrollers for best compatibility with all features.
Operation
Once installed, HS-WD100+ works like any other paddle-style switch and will control on, off and dim functions for the attached lighting load. However, add it to any HomeSeer system and you’ll be able to trigger up to 6 different events!

[ul][li]Press top or bottom of paddle once - turns attached load on or off[/li]
[li]Press top or bottom of paddle twice (double-tap) - triggers two different HomeSeer events[/li]
[li]Press top or bottom of paddle three times (triple-tap) - triggers two more different HomeSeer events[/li]
[li]Press & hold top or bottom of paddle - dims attached load up or down and may also be used to trigger two more different HomeSeer events[/li][/ul]

Specifications

[ul][li]Compatible with US Z-Wave networks (908 MHz)[/li]
[li]120 VAC, 60Hz[/li]
[li]600 watt incandescent[/li]
[li]150 watt LED / CFL[/li]
[li]Supports Z-Wave Plus features[/li]
[li]cUL, FCC, Z-Wave Plus certified[/li][/ul]

As you can see they do have some special features on this switch. Mainly the multi-press functions where they count the number of presses within a second and sent that to the controller. I suspect other controllers will have to figure out what’s being sent and add code to support it. Personally I’m not to worried about that right now as Instant Status is the main feature I want.

About the only issue I see is that they don’t show different colors but one would assume that will be coming when they start shipping. I talked to them about that and for now it’s only white but the way they talked I suspect we’ll see colors after they’ve got through the first few production runs.

They should start shipping in the next couple of weeks.

OMT, there is a switch version, the HS-WS100+, as well.

That is the:
Dragon Tech WD-100 - Z-Wave Plus - Multi-Level Dimmer Switch

I saw their emails come out. Homeseer members (10.00 a year) get 10% off these and I thought I they said they will be shipping on 3/31/16 in two days.

For 40-45.00 this should be an awesome deal for everyone and I suspect more to come.

i remember looking at this on Amazon a few weeks ago. though it was interesting that the aux switch didn’t support the lighting level indicator.

Also doesn’t say a thing about the double/triple tap feature… maybe that’s HS specific?

[quote=“tomgru, post:4, topic:191768”]i remember looking at this on Amazon a few weeks ago. though it was interesting that the aux switch didn’t support the lighting level indicator.

Also doesn’t say a thing about the double/triple tap feature… maybe that’s HS specific?[/quote]

Depending on which link you look at on Amazon non mention instant Status either. Some say “Activate scenes or emergency alerts” which is probley the double and triple tap feature worded differently. But some of this could be Homeseer Only. Which works out great for me. ;D

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:3, topic:191768”]I saw their emails come out. Homeseer members (10.00 a year) get 10% off these and I thought I they said they will be shipping on 3/31/16 in two days.

For 40-45.00 this should be an awesome deal for everyone and I suspect more to come.[/quote]They had just received them when I called which is why he said a couple of weeks.

Anyone know if Vera Plus will support this dimmer soon?

Though I have not tested it, I would expect this dimmer to work fine with Vera. It seems to be a standard dimmer. There’s nothing special about it and no reason to think that it wouldn’t work with Vera. Give it a go.

Be aware that the HomeSeer one is new, with new v5.x firmware. Other vendors may have older firmware which may lack some feature(s).

Also, while the Z-Wave Plus(Gen5) chips have the capability to do over the air firmware updates, I don’t foresee many/any manufacturers releasing firmware updates or the tools needed to install them, any time to the public. So, if you get an older firmware version, you’ll need to replace the switch to get newer firmware.

I just received the Dragon Tech WD-100 from Amazon. Here are some initial photos of the box and dimmer.

First Impressions: It included into my Vera Plus without a problem. Not sure if it supports instant status or not, but when turning on the dimmer locally, the Vera reports an intermediate value during the ramp up before it gets to full 100% brightness, my other dimmers never did this. Also, the level indicator led’s on the dimmer are white, but are only on when the adjustment is taking place, either locally or from Vera. Once the adjustment period is over, the lights are extinguished. I am hoping this can be changed through a configuration setting.

-bob

Adding photos of the dimmer itself.

-bob

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:8, topic:191768”]Though I have not tested it, I would expect this dimmer to work fine with Vera. It seems to be a standard dimmer. There’s nothing special about it and no reason to think that it wouldn’t work with Vera. Give it a go.

Be aware that the HomeSeer one is new, with new v5.x firmware. Other vendors may have older firmware which may lack some feature(s).

Also, while the Z-Wave Plus(Gen5) chips have the capability to do over the air firmware updates, I don’t foresee many/any manufacturers releasing firmware updates or the tools needed to install them, any time to the public. So, if you get an older firmware version, you’ll need to replace the switch to get newer firmware.[/quote]

HomeSeer now has videos showing the double and triple tap options in use. Looks like a sweet switch for 40.00

I received one of these and so far, I’m very happy with it. I believe these are Dragon Tech dimmers with a custom HomeSeer firmware. According to HomeSeer, these are the differences -

These are the features in HomeSeer switches that are missing in Dragon, GE, Evolve, Enerwave and Linear switches:

• Instant status
  • 2-tap, 3-tap, press & hold event triggers
  • Persistent dim level indicator (Dragon indicator turns off after switch is set)

[quote=“jumper4000, post:12, topic:191768”]I received one of these and so far, I’m very happy with it. I believe these are Dragon Tech dimmers with a custom HomeSeer firmware. According to HomeSeer, these are the differences -

These are the features in HomeSeer switches that are missing in Dragon, GE, Evolve, Enerwave and Linear switches:

• Instant status
  • Persistent dim level indicator (Dragon indicator turns off after switch is set)[/quote]

I received mine not too long ago, but noticed they get pretty warm when turned on, have you noticed yours like that? The non-dimmer HS switch doesn’t get warm when its on.

[quote=“Lachette, post:13, topic:191768”][quote=“jumper4000, post:12, topic:191768”]I received one of these and so far, I’m very happy with it. I believe these are Dragon Tech dimmers with a custom HomeSeer firmware. According to HomeSeer, these are the differences -

• Instant status
  • Persistent dim level indicator (Dragon indicator turns off after switch is set)[/quote]

I received mine not too long ago, but noticed they get pretty warm when turned on, have you noticed yours like that? The non-dimmer HS switch doesn’t get warm when its on.[/quote]

All dimmers get warm when they are dimmed down. That’s why they have the metal plate on the front with the 3 tabs on each side to try a shed heat. I had GE ones before and seem about the same as these.

Does anyone know how to configure the double/triple/hold taps on Vera? Also, are there any option parameters to configure?
Thanks!

[quote=“emiliosic, post:15, topic:191768”]Does anyone know how to configure the double/triple/hold taps on Vera? Also, are there any option parameters to configure?
Thanks![/quote]

I don’t think that or instant status works on VERA with these switches. But Homeseer sure is nice.

Thinking of trying these switches/dimmers. I read on the HomeSeer web page the following…

HS-WD100+ and HS-WS100* provide instant status feedback and double-tap, triple-tap, press & hold functionality using the Z-Wave "central scene" command class. The feature is supported by all HomeSeer systems, including HS3 software and HomeTroller controllers. If you're using another brand of controller, be sure to check with that manufacturer to see if the central scene features are supported.

So, does anyone know if VeraPlus supports this ‘central scene’ command class? I would like the instant status feedback to function.

[quote=“skogen75, post:17, topic:191768”]Thinking of trying these switches/dimmers. I read on the HomeSeer web page the following…

HS-WD100+ and HS-WS100* provide instant status feedback and double-tap, triple-tap, press & hold functionality using the Z-Wave "central scene" command class. The feature is supported by all HomeSeer systems, including HS3 software and HomeTroller controllers. If you're using another brand of controller, be sure to check with that manufacturer to see if the central scene features are supported.

So, does anyone know if VeraPlus supports this ‘central scene’ command class? I would like the instant status feedback to function.[/quote]

There was another thread that said it doesn’t work with VERA, you might want to do a search.

Edit: Here it is for you.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38476.msg287771.html#msg287771

Thanks, I read that very short thread. There is no references that are included, they just say it does not work. I would like to see some actual references to Vera that says that Vera does not support ‘central scene’ command class. I did find a micasaverde page that does list command classes and ‘central scene’ (91) is one of them. Now this may just be a list of all z-wave command classes and not necessarily those that Vera supports.

[url=http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ZWave_Command_Classes]http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ZWave_Command_Classes[/url]

I also had a problem with my Aeotec micro smart dimmer not updating, and support told me to add configuration settings parameters 80, and 91.

Variable: 80 Data Size: 1 byte dec Desired Value 1
Variable: 91 Data Size: 2 byte dec Desired Value 25

This ‘91’ parameter may not be the same as the command class ‘central scene’ 91; and if you look up command class 80 it refers to ‘basic window covering’ command class, so this might not mean anything. Z-wave seems like it has multiple layers and it can get confusing.

[quote=“skogen75, post:19, topic:191768”]Thanks, I read that very short thread. There is no references that are included, they just say it does not work. I would like to see some actual references to Vera that says that Vera does not support ‘central scene’ command class. I did find a micasaverde page that does list command classes and ‘central scene’ (91) is one of them. Now this may just be a list of all z-wave command classes and not necessarily those that Vera supports.

[url=http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ZWave_Command_Classes]http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ZWave_Command_Classes[/url]

I also had a problem with my Aeotec micro smart dimmer not updating, and support told me to add configuration settings parameters 80, and 91.

Variable: 80 Data Size: 1 byte dec Desired Value 1
Variable: 91 Data Size: 2 byte dec Desired Value 25

This ‘91’ parameter may not be the same as the command class ‘central scene’ 91; and if you look up command class 80 it refers to ‘basic window covering’ command class, so this might not mean anything. Z-wave seems like it has multiple layers and it can get confusing.[/quote]

Just like you did before I would contact VERA directly for that answer as so far no one has successfully got that to work. I have more then one of these switches and with Homeseer they create double and triple tap children more like a scene controller. So far that’s not how VERA see’s them but I haven’t asked support directly about it. More then likely they will tell you they haven’t tested them and there for don’t currently offer support, but maybe they can give you a few ideas to try. If so post them and one of us that owns those can try it out if you don’t have one.