Home Controller for Windows 8

For all you folks who have upgraded to Windows 8, I have built a new controller for use with the Metro UI, called Home Controller. In particular, if you have a Surface or other Windows RT device, this is an invaluable way of controlling your system. You can find it in the app store here;

It supports the following devices:
Scenes
Switches
Dimmer Switches
Heating and Cooling controls
Locks
Window covers
Humidity sensors
Temperature sensors
Light sensors
Power meters
Webcams
and any other devices controlled using the same protocols.

It also features auto local/remote switching, and supports accounts with multiple Vera servers. There’s a free 7 day trial too, so if you have Windows 8 give it a go.

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin

Good to see a new app for Vera and Windows 8 / RT. I wrote about it on my blog here

CW…

Thanks Stuart. Nice post.

Martin

Will check it out when I my Acer W700 arrives next week.

Cool looking interface. I’ll load it on my tablet.
Any plans of porting it to the windows 8 phone?

[quote=“reedpage, post:5, topic:173433”]Cool looking interface. I’ll load it on my tablet.
Any plans of porting it to the windows 8 phone?[/quote]
Thanks. Glad you like it. No plans for Windows 8 Phone at the moment, but if the demand was significant I would consider it.

Martin

Martin - works well with my Acer W700 tablet! Graphics are a little plane jane but it definitely does the job! I was amazed how quickly if found my system. I opened it up and BLAM there were all my devices. If you were to develop some like the SQ remote I would definitely buy it!

Thanks, I’m glad you like it. And thanks for the feedback on the graphics. The overall theme of Windows 8 is pretty flat in general, but I’ll have a think about how I can make it sexier without jarring with the rest of the OS.

Martin

I tried it on my Samsung Ativ Tab (WinRT) and it started right up, found Vera, and showed devices correctly.
Even the camera and PTZ worked.

The only thing that didn’t show up was the Alarm panel and motion detectors.

Looks pretty good!

[quote=“GroundLoop, post:9, topic:173433”]I tried it on my Samsung Ativ Tab (WinRT) and it started right up, found Vera, and showed devices correctly.
Even the camera and PTZ worked.

The only thing that didn’t show up was the Alarm panel and motion detectors.

Looks pretty good![/quote]
Thanks GroundLoop, glad you like it.

By motion detectors, I guess you mean what Mios call a security sensor - i.e. something that you arm and it is highlighted when it trips. Is that right? If so that is almost certainly something I could add.

With the alarm panel though, what are you referring to? Is it a plugin?

Thanks

Martin

Version 2 of Home Controller just got released in the Windows Store yesterday. Version 2 brings the ability to re-order all devices and scenes within a room, and to hide ones you don’t want to use, and also to re-order and hide/show rooms. This helps you build exactly the layout that you want, unconstrained by what the layout is on your vera. Existing users should get the update through the app store, and new users will automatically pick up the new version.

Martin

This is an excellent one…I am using it and works smooth… ;D

Just Downloaded it and automatically configured. Super Easy.

I like the reordering and the ability to Display or Hide. Maybe in the future some optional graphics/icon choices.

Looking at the new All-In-One’s as well as building the Intel Cap systems as a Windows 8 touchscreen solution for the Vera’s.

Now with AuthomationHD, SQ Remote HD and Home Controller I might have my bases covered for each OS in my HA system.

Nice addition.

Mark

Thanks for the feedback Mark. Do you mean the ability to choose your own image file for each icon? I like that idea - it’s great for people who want to create a very specific icon for something.

Martin

Yes, but more a “Style” Set or Group rather than individual graphics for each “selection”, IMHO. Also, maybe size might be a configurable parameter (e.g. Small, medium, large, etc.)

My vision for Windows 8 systems like “All-in-One” or Touchscreen displays, you could configure for more or less tiles (icons) per screen. I really like how Garrettwp’s AuthomationHD allows for compact and larger tiles.

I tested the trial for about 5 minutes and then purchased the Home Controller App. I feel that it provides a nice convenient interface for my HTPC’s located throughout my house. I noticed a couple of issues with ordering and refreshing. I’ll have to go back and locate the appropriate site for “feedback”. I will continue to provide feedback as I continue to work with the software. I am overall positive about your App.

I currently use numerous Android and iOS devices (Smartphones and Tablets) and Windows 7 and 8 HTPC’s in my HA system. I think that at some point a Windows phone App might be a good consideration, from a market standpoint.

Keep up the good work.

Mark

Thanks for the clarifications. The actual support site for this is at;

http://www.milliesoft.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=31b7e98a7ea4682562e7aea767abc5fb

There is an android version of the app too, but somehow I never got round to publishing it in the store, even though I use it every day myself. I’ll have to get round to adding the license protection to release that too.

Martin