Home Buddy 0.28 BETA [CLOSED]

NOTE: Beta is now closed. Please get install Home Buddy v0.28 from Google Play.

Hi all!

I know it’s been forever since the last release. I’ve been really busy the past months but I did put in some time during the weekends to rewrite Home Buddy from the ground up. I think it’s almost ready for prime time (just a few more bugs to squash and some missing features – ie camera integration), but I thought I’d release an early beta for any brave souls who would like to give it a go and provide feedback. You can download it using the link below:

- Updated Sat 12 May 2012 12:01:48 PM EDT
[glow=red,2,300]NOTE: After updating, if you experience force closes on startup, please try to uninstall then reinstall!!![/glow]

Note that this will replace your current version of Home Buddy. If you want to revert back to 0.27, you’ll need to uninstall then reinstall from Market or SlideMe.

The most significant changes in this release are the following:

• Data Persistence: all data is now stored locally in a database for quick startup and access/control
  • Revamped UI: now uses ViewPager and an ActionBar, and incorporates controls in the list instead of a separate dialog
  • Support for multiple Vera units
  • Favorites
  • New setup procedure
  • New Auto Local algorithm
  • Many performance enhancements

I hope you all think that this release was worth the wait. As always, all feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated. I’m looking forward to hearing from you!

EDIT Mon 12 Mar 2012 09:02:14 PM EDT:

• Added favorites
  • Added option to bypass refresh prompt
  • KNOWN BUG: last item in the device list needs to be tapped twice to collapse. very annoying! still looking for a fix.

EDIT Mon 12 Mar 2012 10:41:09 PM EDT:

• Fixed the bug where last item in the list needs to be tapped twice.

EDIT Sat 24 Mar 2012 09:54:02 PM EDT:

• Added camera streaming
  • Speak a scene (experimental)
  • Now restores room expand/collapse state after full refresh
  • Fixed WindowCovering, DoorSensor, and SmokeSensor
  • Some performance optimizations

EDIT Sun 25 Mar 2012 09:39:42 PM EDT:

• Auto-Refresh (experimental - configure interval in setup)
  • Caddx, CurrentCost, SmartSwitch support

EDIT Tue 27 Mar 2012 03:17:04 PM EDT

• Auto-local bugfix
  • Now toasts an error on streaming errors

EDIT Fri 06 Apr 2012 04:11:17 PM EDT

• Auto-local bugfix
  • Updated icons
  • Dims device icons with text
  • Feedback for camera streaming errors
  • Scale camera still image to fit width
  • Concord Alarm support

EDIT Fri 13 Apr 2012 11:40:51 PM EDT

• Elk Alarm Panel Support
  • Changed Thermostat Fan Commands to a spinner
  • Removed fade in/out effects as they didn’t play nice with the Expandable list

EDIT Tue 17 Apr 2012 11:15:04 PM EDT

• Styled buttons to make active state more prominent

EDIT Thu 19 Apr 2012 06:58:51 PM EDT

• Now only shows set point controls for active user operating mode

EDIT Sat 21 Apr 2012 12:46:20 AM EDT

• Fixed camera streaming on ICS
  • Fixed some styles
  • Added vibration on error

EDIT Fri 27 Apr 2012 07:28:51 AM EDT

• Reversed window covering open/close labels
  • Room names can now go to 2 lines (in case of really long names)
  • Variable Container support

EDIT Sat 28 Apr 2012 10:34:18 AM EDT

• Updated to UI5 icons
  • Danfoss Living Connect support
  • Fixed Variable Container

EDIT Sun 29 Apr 2012 11:37:16 AM EDT

• Update Window Covering implementation to match Vera’s
  • Added Filipino, German, and Greek (initial) locales

EDIT Mon 30 Apr 2012 06:10:53 PM EDT

• Speak-a-Scene enhancements/bugfixes
  • Wake on LAN plugin support

EDIT Sat 05 May 2012 03:21:35 PM EDT

• Added status icon to Door Lock when unlocked and optimized virtual switch to use the same status icon mechanism
  • Initial Dutch translations

EDIT Mon 07 May 2012 11:19:17 AM EDT

• Added Default Tab option

EDIT Mon 07 May 2012 02:43:00 PM EDT

• Fixed force close for users upgrading from 0.27

EDIT Mon 07 May 2012 06:57:46 PM EDT

• Completed Dutch translations

The new look is really nice! Only thing its missing is the ability to add a device to say a home screen…or maybe a favorite screen… other than that…great job!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Hi Rakstar,

Thank you for this work.

Some feedback:

Installation : ok on my Archos 7it (android 2.2.1) and on my ZTE Blade S (android 2.3.5). I want to use my Archos for a local access and my ZTE for a remote access.

Configuration : I was unable to connect to my local network without entering my Mios Username and Password. so I suppose I’am always connected through remote access. For information my local SSID is hidden.

Usage :
After the activation of a scene or a device I receive the message “executed SceneName” and a second one :
“Error, refresh failed, chek your settings. (java.lang.NullPointerException)”

Feature suggestions :

• Icon for notifying local or remote connection
  • a favorite/overview screen (like suggested by kyle4269)
  • support for Danfoss Living Connect Thermostats

LG

Feature suggestions :

• support for the app “Virtual Switch”
  • support for the app “Info container”
  • option to hide devices

I’d love to see support for the VariableContainer and the VirtualSwitch Plugins. I can provide any information you need if you wish, I published these two plugins.

Are you planning to release something like a HD version for tablets?

I’ll do some testing on my Sony Tablet S tonight and report back to you.

[quote=“kyle4269, post:2, topic:170787”]The new look is really nice! Only thing its missing is the ability to add a device to say a home screen…or maybe a favorite screen… other than that…great job!

Sent[/quote]

Thanks, glad you like it. That’s still on my list, but don’t forget, you can still add shortcuts to scenes to your home screen – that’s still my personal favorite feature.

Thanks for the feedback! Let me explain how the configuration works…

If you’re configuring from the same network as your Vera, assuming you fill in your username, Home Buddy will be able to pick up both your local and remote settings. If you don’t enter your username, it will only pick up your local Vera IP.

If you’re configuring from a different network, you will be required to fill in your username so Home Buddy can pick up your remote settings, but it won’t be able to fill in local IP. You can fill this in manually at a later time.

To sum up, for best results, run the configuration on the same network as your Vera and fill in your username. After selecting your serial, manually fill in your password.

If you need to start over, hit the Menu button to delete the currently active Vera instance.

Now to explain how I set up auto-local… here is some pseudo code (assuming all remote info is present):
local IP is empty = remote
local IP is present, NOT on wifi = remote
local IP is present, on wifi, SSID is empty = try local, if local fails do remote
local IP is present, on wifi, SSID present but doesn’t match = remote
local IP is present, on wifi, SSID matches = local

I hope this clears it up somewhat.

If you’re configuring from the same network as your Vera, assuming you fill in your username, Home Buddy will be able to pick up both your local and remote settings. If you don’t enter your username, it will only pick up your local Vera IP.

If you’re configuring from a different network, you will be required to fill in your username so Home Buddy can pick up your remote settings, but it won’t be able to fill in local IP. You can fill this in manually at a later time.

To sum up, for best results, run the configuration on the same network as your Vera and fill in your username. After selecting your serial, manually fill in your password.

If you need to start over, hit the Menu button to delete the currently active Vera instance.

Now to explain how I set up auto-local… here is some pseudo code (assuming all remote info is present):
local IP is present, on wifi, SSID is empty = try local, if local fails do remote

I hope this clears it up somewhat.[/quote]

Rakstar,

Great minds think alike. I do the same thing. :slight_smile:

• Garrett

Hi

Currently crashes when I select a device.

[quote=“cokeman, post:4, topic:170787”]Feature suggestions :

• support for the app “Virtual Switch”
  • support for the app “Info container”
  • option to hide devices[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions. Could you send me your user data?

As for the option to hide devices… I think the best I could do now is to exclude devices that have the “disabled” option checked in the Mios UI… will that work or do you have another use case? The problem is, with the way it’s set up right now, I may be able to flag a device to not show, but the setting would get overridden after a full refresh. I guess there are other ways to accomplish that but it would have to wait for a future release.

[quote=“garrettwp, post:8, topic:170787”]Rakstar,

Great minds think alike. I do the same thing. :slight_smile:

• Garrett[/quote]

Awesome!!! :slight_smile:

[quote=“chixxi, post:5, topic:170787”]I’d love to see support for the VariableContainer and the VirtualSwitch Plugins. I can provide any information you need if you wish, I published these two plugins.

Are you planning to release something like a HD version for tablets?

I’ll do some testing on my Sony Tablet S tonight and report back to you.[/quote]

Yes, please send me you user data.

A separate HD Version is not my priority at the moment. The app will be available to install on tablets/Google TV though. it may be stretched and look awkward but should still be functional.

[quote=“racarter, post:9, topic:170787”]Hi

Currently crashes when I select a device.[/quote]

All devices or are there specific ones? Can you send me your user data so I can diagnose? Thanks.

I hope this clears it up somewhat.[/quote]

Thank you for the explanation.

LG

Rakstar - it seems to be any device. Scene selection is fine, but as soon as I tap a device it crashes. What user data do you mean?

Hi rakstar,

This version isn’t letting me connect locally over wifi to my Vera lite. It says “user required for remote access”. I am on the same LAN and I have filled in my SSID in the settings. Discovery worked fine.

Device is Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Honeycomb on wifi. Vera is on 1.5.322.

Please check the last section of the troubleshooting link in my signature below. Thanks.

[quote=“futzle, post:16, topic:170787”]Hi rakstar,

This version isn’t letting me connect locally over wifi to my Vera lite. It says “user required for remote access”. I am on the same LAN and I have filled in my SSID in the settings. Discovery worked fine.

Device is Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Honeycomb on wifi. Vera is on 1.5.322.[/quote]

Do you have all the information set up correctly? Is the Local IP in the settings correct? To verify this, try the following link in a browser (be sure to replace “” with the correct value):

http://:49451/data_request?output_format=json&id=user_data2

Yeah, I do. That was part of automatic discovery, which worked fine, including getting my Vera’s IP address on the LAN.

Got it installed, and things look like they are working well. The only trouble I ran into were using the old shortcuts I had on my home screen to kick off some Scenes caused a force close. I just recreated those shortcuts and everything worked properly after that. New app looks great. Thanks for all your hard work.