help with creating a virtual device

I am trying to create virtual devices in UI5 for the purpose of manually entering WATTs being used by standard outlets and and switches until I can afford to buy more z-wave replacements. But i need some help.

I have attempted to create several “virtual” devices by going to APPS>Develop Apps>Create Device. I have entered D_BinaryLight1.xml for “Upnp Device Filename” and I_BinaryLight1.xml for “Upnp Implementation Filename” as these are the ones used by my GE outlets.

Thank you for the help, as i am now stuck and don’t know what to do.

Nnnoo, that’s not going to work.

There’s no real shortcut to this: you are going to have to create a plugin, which means writing code.

Are you much of a programmer? Depending on how much you have to learn, and the value you place on your leisure time, it may be cheaper for you to just buy the switches now.

Actually it could work. I created an implementation file for BinaryLight that sets the Watts variable to whatever value UserSuppliedWattage is. This way I could simulate having devices with energy consumption. You should give it a try.

Are you much of a programmer? Depending on how much you have to learn, and the value you place on your leisure time, it may be cheaper for you to just buy the switches now.
@futzle Best response EVER! ;D Sadly I am not much of a programmer, more of a tinkerer. But i would relish getting to learn. I have always been more of a hardware guy. ;)
I created an implementation file for BinaryLight that sets the Watts variable to whatever value UserSuppliedWattage is. This way I could simulate having devices with energy consumption. You should give it a try.
@mcvflorin - what do i do with the file your provided, i dont know where or how to get it into the vera through the UI. I am assuming that i would have to use something like winscp to manual place the file? if so where does it need to be placed? I know how to SSH and use winscp through my attempt of putting PHP on the vera to use the myvera plugin. I tried searching but could not find the answer i needed.

Thank you both for the replies.
~ FlyingTech

Upload it from Apps > Develop Apps > Luup Files. Then create a device the way you described in the OP.

Ok, thanks!! ;D

Sorry for all the questions ???

But after installing the xml and creating the device, the settings tab for the virtual device is blank. where/how do i enter the wattage and do i need to set a parent devise?

Once you uploaded the file and created a new Virtual Switch in the tab modify impl_file to I_BinaryLight1.xml and click save.
You may have to reload a couple of times before you will be able to record your details.

more virtual devices that you can install: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,8363.msg53275.html#msg53275

How about something like this Vampire Load which is based on the a stripped down Virtual Switch and I_BinaryLight1.xml provided by MCVFlorin.

The icon files (*.png) need to be copied to /www/cmh/skins/default/icons using an ssh session.